Ipad2 dropping home Wifi intermittently

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
Since a few days ago I have a strange problem - my Ipad is dropping Wifi and can't do anything on the Ipad side to get connected again. The only thing that fixes the issue is when I reset (power down/up) my Comcast Wifi modem. By the way I have other devices that depend on this modem and they work fine, I see no dropped internet, this includes my laptop as well as Apple TV. When I restore Ipad connection (reset the modem) it is good for a few hours and the problem repeats...

:confused:

The "since a few days ago" part is concerning. What changed?

Other than that, I had trouble with the ipad and the wireless access point operating in B/G/N mode. After forcing the WAP to N only the ipad is happy.

What changed?
If I knew that I would have probably solved the problem.
I wonder if whatever hardware parts in Ipad are responsible for tuning to wireless internet can go bad? And if so can they be replaced? Because I don't think it is software - there were no OS updates on my Ipad for a long time.

If you look on the Apple support forum, iPad wifi flakiness is one of the longest threads there. Some are heavily affected, others not so much. I've had two iPads and both exhibited intermittent flakiness.

Are you on the latest version of iOS?

I had a similar issue and ended up replacing the AP. I still had intermittent problems, but they would come and go on their own.

I switched to using ONLY 5.8 ghz frequencies and that fixed the problem quick... Probably some interference on 2.4.

My OS is 6.1.3 which I think is the latest.

What is AP?

BTW, I just reset my modem - no response from Ipad, I may take it tomorrow to the nearest Apple store.

Hard reboot is hold home+power until you see the apple logo. Restart keeps some old settings around.

Is it connected but has a self assigned ip? Check your DHCP settings on the router and you canmanually assign an ip to the iPad.
Also, I recall Apple only liking wpa2-aes on your wifi security, not Tkip, no wpa.

I've only had a similar problem years ago and it was a bad AP. It continued to somewhat function but was throwing spurs all the way down to VHF on a spectrum analyzer. Trash canned it and replaced. No problems since then.

A neighbor with a "new" older style 2.4 GHz cordless phone can wreak havoc with 2.4. Or a leaky old microwave oven.

'looks like a new wifi-modem is your last option. Or a modem and a separate wifi router.

Don't have a router, have a modem only.

Well you do have a router or you wouldn't route. :) It's just built into the same box as the modem. ;)

Which carrier? Most of them use some seriously junky hardware.

Which carrier? Most of them use some seriously junky hardware.
Like I said above - Comcast.
The modem is made by Arris.
No connectivity issues with multiple other devices at home.

Last edited:
My Gen1 iPad did not like my Linksys 54G wifi in WPA2 security but was fine in WEP. The Nook had the same issue. My NetBook did not like WEP.

I upgraded to a NetGear 900 that gets me "n" and dual band. The iPad and Nook like the 5GHz in WPA2 security and my NetBook is happy again in WPA2 at 2.4Ghz.

The cell phones were happy in either configuration.

So what changed for you in the last few days?

My Gen1 iPad did not like my Linksys 54G wifi in WPA2 security but was fine in WEP. The Nook had the same issue. My NetBook did not like WEP.

I upgraded to a NetGear 900 that gets me "n" and dual band. The iPad and Nook like the 5GHz in WPA2 security and my NetBook is happy again in WPA2 at 2.4Ghz.

The cell phones were happy in either configuration.

So what changed for you in the last few days?
His Arris got an update...how do you think they control your download speed?

Last edited:
This was a very common problem for iOS 6.1.3. Many people reported similar problems. Never upgrade the iOS until you know whether it has problems which is why you should wait a few days and then check the forums on the web for problems. 6.1.4 is current.

His Arris got an update...how do you think they control your download speed?

Thanks, I don't use the Comcast (Cox) equipment.
I buy my own.
Motorola 6150 Docsis 3 surfboard modem.
NetGear 900 wifi router.

I'm sure they still can control the download speeds.

Just this morning my iPad4 wouldn't connect. Looked at the settings and it had a bogus IP address and DNS setting. Hit the Renew Lease button and it picked up the correct one and its working fine. But it shouldn't be screwing up the IP lease in the first place. None of my other wireless devices ever have a problem, only my iPad.

As I said, people have been complaining about this issue on the Apple support forum for two years and Apple still has not acknowledged a problem.

I've had an similar intermittant wifi issue with 2 iPads. It's been a while, but I also installed a new high-power WAP a couple of months ago to improve coverage on the outside deck (and disabled the one in the router...). Router is an Asus running DD-WRT.

Hit the Renew Lease button
Since you mentioned it .. I could not find such a button even though I was reading about it before.
There is "Forget network" but can't find "renew ..".

But the good news is that it has been working for now close to 40 hrs..

Last edited:
Since you mentioned it .. I could not find such a button even though I was reading about it before.
There is "Forget network" but can't find "renew ..".

You have to click on the little blue arrow at the far right side of the current WiFi connection.

I think we all know that Apple products are not capable of flaws or failures; ask any Apple devotee! :D

---

True story: a friend of mine who lives in a somewhat rural location had a temporary outage of his DSL; fortunately, he was able to pick up and use the free WiFi signal from an RV park several hundred yards away (this, with his Toshiba laptop). The signal was weak, but solid and very usable.

His brother-in-law was over to visit, and was trying to use his MacBook (brother-in-law is a frequent braggart for the Apple brand, most derisive of anything PC). The MacBook would not reliably connect to the WiFi signal, and was unable to make beneficial use of it.

When challenged about the vaunted Apple being unable to use a signal which worked for the Toshiba, brother-in-law said (with a straight face and absolute commitment and sincerity): "the Apple is simply rejecting an inferior signal!" :rofl:

This, the height of Kool Aid. :yes:

Just this morning my iPad4 wouldn't connect. Looked at the settings and it had a bogus IP address and DNS setting. Hit the Renew Lease button and it picked up the correct one and its working fine. But it shouldn't be screwing up the IP lease in the first place. None of my other wireless devices ever have a problem, only my iPad.

As I said, people have been complaining about this issue on the Apple support forum for two years and Apple still has not acknowledged a problem.

Could be because there's an Apple problem, could be because they followed the DHCP spec and routers aren't. Impossible to tell without a packet trace.

Internet is full of folks whining about interop problems between vendors of all sorts from software to networking to hardware. Rarely does anyone take the extra mile to analyze the problem when new devices are less than a tank of gas in a pickup truck, ya know? ;)

Not worth any spare brain cells unless its your problem and you know how to catch it in the act at the low level protocol stuff.

First thought: Was the IP one of the 169.x.x.x "auto-assign myself an address" range? That BS idea to "help" people build ad-hoc networks has been a horrible idea from the start. An attempt to remove all brain cells and often causes more problems than it's worth.

Second thought: Any rogue software or devices acting as DHCP servers on your LAN so you have two at the same time?

Third thought: Set DHCP lease time to something very high (a week or more) to slow down the symptom.

Fourth thought, and my favorite: Get the MAC addresses from your devices and nail down everything to its own IP. Can do this with static IP also, but I tend to do it at the DHCP server. Then keep a spreadsheet of what gadget is what IP. Saves headaches troubleshooting later, makes networked printers and scanners happier (no relying on broadcasts to find them by name, network is much less chatty and clogged with garbage), etc.

Does Crapcast let you access the router's DHCP settings? Logs? Wifi connect/disconnect logs? I bet what you'll find is the iPad is aggressively "roaming" and trying to go back and forth between wifi and cellular data all the time, confusing the hell out of itself and the DHCP server. With its IP locked down to a single IP for that Wifi network, it'd behave much better when it does that.

I've seen all three of our iPads (confirmed with Wireshark sniffing) say they're on Wifi or cellular when they're actually in the process of switching networks and are truly talking on the other one. Also seen it with Karen's Samsung tablet. Locked down all the IP addresses using MAC address assignments in the router, no more problems. They still do it, but when they rejoined the wifi they worked consistently.

Fixed the wifi disconnects using Apple Airport Expresses in Network Extender mode. I'll take the speed hit for the multiple hops on wifi to not be dropping off anywhere on the property. AirPort Extreme at one end of the house, and two Expresses extending both 2.4 and 5.8 networks strategically placed in the structure to cover indoors and out, including the garage. Eventually I'll cable Gigabit Ethernet to those locations so the extension isn't done wirelessly and it's more a multiple-AP roaming network configuration.

(Plus its also fun to look at the logs and see if the various devices are connected to the "closest" AP or the one at the other end of the house as you walk around... Some devices favor 5.8, some 2.4, all favor "n" over "g" or "a" generally. The work laptop Intel chipset with updated drivers actually lets you set this "affinity" stuff.)

Could be because there's an Apple problem, could be because they followed the DHCP spec and routers aren't. Impossible to tell without a packet trace.

First thought: Was the IP one of the 169.x.x.x "auto-assign myself an address" range? That BS idea to "help" people build ad-hoc networks has been a horrible idea from the start. An attempt to remove all brain cells and often causes more problems than it's worth.

No, it's on the right network (192.168.1.xxx, but it lands on .251 with the same as DNS when it usually gets assigned .100 with the DNS being .1 (which is also the router address.)

No other DHCP devices on the network.

Not for Ipad, 6.1.3 is the latest for Ipad.

My iPad mini asks me to upgrade to 6.1.4. . . I'm still on 6.1.2 because 6.1.3 caused such a power problem . . . that I had to turn off the Cloud on the big iPad and that fixed it for now.

No, it's on the right network (192.168.1.xxx, but it lands on .251 with the same as DNS when it usually gets assigned .100 with the DNS being .1 (which is also the router address.)

No other DHCP devices on the network.

Do your non-DHCP machines have statics assigned outside of the allowable range set in the router for DHCP?

You have to click on the little blue arrow at the far right side of the current WiFi connection.
Yes, I was doing it a lot 2 days ago when I had these issues but could never see it, there was a "forget network" but not "renew..". I am now 50 nm from my Ipad, I will double check when I am home.

My iPad mini asks me to upgrade to 6.1.4. . .
I am on 6.1.3 and when I attempt to "update" I get info that I am up to date, no update available.

Last edited:
Yes, I was doing it a lot 2 days ago when I had these issues but could never see it, there was a "forget network" but not "renew..". I am now 50 nm from my Ipad, I will double check when I am home.

I am on 6.1.3 and when I attempt to "update" I get info that I am up to date, no update available.

The Forget button is at the top, the Renew towards the bottom, just above the Proxy options.

maybe I'm special being in California and all :goofy::goofy::confused:

Who knows how these things work. . .

The router set is important and yeah - makes sense to static IP all of what uses wifi cause then you can turn the rest off except for the guest side when you have guests . . . I lock that down to only 2 available dcp addresses . . . and it reports to me when someone even tries to log on . . . .

But my main router shows as "The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" so you get asked by your computer: "Do you want to join the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" which gets a chuckle

The Guest side reads: "CIA Research Station 73" takes a certain amount of balls to wardrive that . . .

The Forget button is at the top, the Renew towards the bottom, just above the Proxy options.
You were right, it is there, it is there now because the connection is up, however I am positive it wasn't there when the connection was dead.

But my main router shows as "The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" so you get asked by your computer: "Do you want to join the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" which gets a chuckle

The Guest side reads: "CIA Research Station 73" takes a certain amount of balls to wardrive that . . .

LOL on the former.

The latter is more of an invitation to do it than a deterrent for the cracker mindset types. "Oh you want to be cute, huh? Let's see if you like it when I change it to 'CIA Anus Research Lab" ...

... Type, type, type. Done! :)

I knew a guy who set up a honeypot open WiFi AP named "Beware" and actively port scanned and vulnerability scanned anything that connected to it.

Whether he went any further, I will not say since the Statute of Limitations probably hasn't run out. ;)

I saw nothing. :)

LOL on the former.
I knew a guy who set up a honeypot open WiFi AP named "Beware" and actively port scanned and vulnerability scanned anything that connected to it.

Knew "a guy"....uh huh. :)

Knew "a guy"....uh huh. :)

Honestly wasn't me. He works in Sec-ur-itah! now. (Say Security like Authority in the same vein as the South Park episode where Cartman becomes a cop... "Respect Mah Auth-or-i-tah!" LOL... It's how we greet the Sec-ur-itah staff at work. Heh.)

Back