iPad :(

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I was on my way to the Apple Store today to consult the Genius Bar about an annoying problem with my iPad (the touchscreen registers single taps as double about 10% of the time). On the way I stopped at a Big Boy for dinner and availed myself of the free Wi-Fi to update weather for a possible PnP flight tomorrow. When the server brought my dinner I placed the iPad loosely in its RooCase on the seat beside me. At some point it slid off the seat and fell on the floor, unfortunately hitting the corner of the iPad. It was less than two feet and didn't sound as if it hit hard. However the corner of the glass screen was shattered and there were several smaller cracks spreading out across the whole surface.

I went on to the Apple Store, and the news was not good. They cannot repair the glass screen, you have to replace the iPad. The cost is basically 50% of the cost of a new iPad, and neither the warranty (obviously) nor Applecare cover any of it. It works out to $369 for a 32GB 3G iPad 2. The genius bar Apple guy said he has seen iPads with far worse damage (basically the screen completely shattered) from a fall of only a few inches. Other times they fall several feet and emerge undamaged. It all depends on the exact point and angle of impact and is apparently totally random.

Ironically, I would have gotten a new iPad at no cost due to the touchscreen problem, if I hadn't destroyed it on the way there.

Just the thing to make my week. :(

Sorry. That sounds about par for me.

My iPhone screen finally cracked on the 6th or 7th time it slid out of the #$%^ case to my concrete driveway. I've been using it and it works fine with the cracked screen for like 3 years.

Do you have a different apple store to try? Mine did a belly flop onto asphalt and shattered the screen. I took it in, got the same quote, but then was told they would do a one time replacement for me. Worth a shot.

I looked for a long time to find a case that would restrain the device, and which would protect the corners when I dropped the case. Unbelievably, there are many cases/covers which have open corners! Sorry to hear of your loss, however a half-price replacement is not terrible. I guess the next step will be flexible, plastic ipads.

By selling you one at half price, I think Apple looses a few bucks. They make it up on apps and music you buy.

Do you have a different apple store to try? Mine did a belly flop onto asphalt and shattered the screen. I took it in, got the same quote, but then was told they would do a one time replacement for me. Worth a shot.
Okay I haggled with them a bit but was told the best they could do (out of the goodness of their hearts :rolleyes:) is to take off 15% of the replacement cost.

So it's done. Lesson learned: Apple's products are (physically) cheap junk and you have to figure in extra cost for 3rd party products to protect them. The RooCase is great as long as it's zipped shut, but you have to take the iPad out to use it and there will always be the temptation to keep it handy. A different solution is needed. The genius bar guy recommended this.

Otter box makes a fairly decent device to protect it, however it isn't the most appealing. I bought a clear case for the back for mine, and it has protected it from the few falls it has incurred so far, but if the iPad has the fate as my iPhones have had, the screen will get damaged. I've yet to learn that greasy hands don't help keep the phone in my hand all that well.

I was on my way to the Apple Store today to consult the Genius Bar about an annoying problem with my iPad (the touchscreen registers single taps as double about 10% of the time). On the way I stopped at a Big Boy for dinner and availed myself of the free Wi-Fi to update weather for a possible PnP flight tomorrow. When the server brought my dinner I placed the iPad loosely in its RooCase on the seat beside me. At some point it slid off the seat and fell on the floor, unfortunately hitting the corner of the iPad. It was less than two feet and didn't sound as if it hit hard. However the corner of the glass screen was shattered and there were several smaller cracks spreading out across the whole surface.

I went on to the Apple Store, and the news was not good. They cannot repair the glass screen, you have to replace the iPad. The cost is basically 50% of the cost of a new iPad, and neither the warranty (obviously) nor Applecare cover any of it. It works out to $369 for a 32GB 3G iPad 2. The genius bar Apple guy said he has seen iPads with far worse damage (basically the screen completely shattered) from a fall of only a few inches. Other times they fall several feet and emerge undamaged. It all depends on the exact point and angle of impact and is apparently totally random.

Ironically, I would have gotten a new iPad at no cost due to the touchscreen problem, if I hadn't destroyed it on the way there.

You can have it repaired for about $200, this company has a great reputation and I've used them:
http://www.missionrepair.com/iPad_2_Service_Repairs_s/533.htm

Mine slid off a low wing one day and hit face first on the ramp. It cracked the screen as well. At first I planned on fixing it - but then never did. It works perfectly fine and you can hardly see it when its on. It's a tool for me, not a fashion statement, tools have dings :)

I was going to wisecrack that low wing airplanes kill iPads, just ask Jesse... :)

You can have it repaired for about $200, this company has a great reputation and I've used them:
http://www.missionrepair.com/iPad_2_Service_Repairs_s/533.htm
If it happens again, I'll keep that in mind and maybe save $150 and some headaches. My replacement is not working like the original -- it can't connect to the iCloud email server, key clicks aren't working (yes they're enabled), ... so it's back to the Genius Bar tomorrow I think.

Oh yes, ForeFlight claims that my account doesn't exist, so I can't redo my downloads. But maybe I shouldn't even try until tomorrow, since in all likelihood they'll have to replace this one too.

Mine slid off a low wing one day and hit face first on the ramp. It cracked the screen as well. At first I planned on fixing it - but then never did. It works perfectly fine and you can hardly see it when its on. It's a tool for me, not a fashion statement, tools have dings :)
In my case the corner was actually shattered. As in, with sharp pieces sticking up. If I'd tried hard enough, I could probably have picked the screen off piece by piece. :(

In my case the corner was actually shattered. As in, with sharp pieces sticking up. If I'd tried hard enough, I could probably have picked the screen off piece by piece. :(
That's how mine is. Most of the sharp pieces fell off. You could probably make an effort towards expanding the crack by picking at the shattered part but it seems to hold itself together. Sometimes another piece falls off.

It'll probably last long enough for the next iPad to come out - which I'll purchase immediately - since I need to stay up with the latest gear to maintain my iOS applications.

Yeah, they did that for me too. Too late now, though!
I looked for a long time to find a case that would restrain the device, and which would protect the corners when I dropped the case. Unbelievably, there are many cases/covers which have open corners! Sorry to hear of your loss, however a half-price replacement is not terrible. I guess the next step will be flexible, plastic ipads.

Try something like this. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/sportmgf.php
They also have an adaptor that let's it click into a RAM mount.

Otter box makes a fairly decent device to protect it, however it isn't the most appealing. I bought a clear case for the back for mine, and it has protected it from the few falls it has incurred so far, but if the iPad has the fate as my iPhones have had, the screen will get damaged. I've yet to learn that greasy hands don't help keep the phone in my hand all that well.

Have an Otterbox defender case for iPad2 I wish to sell. PM if interested.

It's water under the bridge now. Right now the problem is that my "new" iPad isn't working properly... lots of things wrong. And worst problem, I can't redo my downloads from ForeFlight as my subscription isn't recognized on this iPad.

It's water under the bridge now. Right now the problem is that my "new" iPad isn't working properly... lots of things wrong. And worst problem, I can't redo my downloads from ForeFlight as my subscription isn't recognized on this iPad.
It really sounds liek you're using a different iTunes account then your old iPad. Foreflight can work it out for you with an e-mail to them.

My iPod touch screen broke and I used it until the glass started falling out. I found a website that sells the glass new and I replaced it myself. Looks like new.

Here is the site and they sell the iPad front glass for around 50 bucks.

http://www.etechparts.com/iPad-Repair-Parts-s/312.htm

Last edited:
It really sounds liek you're using a different iTunes account then your old iPad. Foreflight can work it out for you with an e-mail to them.
Okay I figured out the Foreflight problem. I tried all of my email addresses EXCEPT one, and it turns out that's the one I used when I bought the subscription.

Of course, now FF is going to try to reply to my message, and I'll never see it because I can't connect to the iCloud server. Most of the time it tells me it can't connect to the server, then once it said login failed, then again can;t connect. I only have one iTunes account anyway, it's not that. I guess maybe their server is down, but I'm beginning to suspect the iOS installation is corrupted on this iPad. I've tried resetting to factory defaults and setting up again from scratch, but that doesn't help.

Lots of little things... the lack of audible feedback, now I find auto lock is kicking in during the FF download even though I have "allow device to sleep" set to off. That didn't happen before. As much as I hate to go back to the Apple Store, it looks like I'm going to have to tomorrow. And I'm scheduled to do a PnP flight on Saturday. Sigh.

Is there a way to back up all my FF downloads to iTunes? The backup I did from my original iPad only backed up settings and Music (of which I have none). Nothing else, no apps, no data owned by apps. Supposedly I could back up to iCloud but since that connection is failing... and anyway only the first 5 GB is free, and FF charts/plates totals more than that.

Try to drop an HP or a Sony laptop from a table or a chair....and see what happens to it...

Then go to Compusa or whatever store you bought it from....ask for a free replacement....

ZaggMate cases (with or without keyboard) are seriously strong.
The aluminum one has taken some serious hits (one corner is bent in, it took the damage instead of the IPad).
The ZggFolio covers all the corners as well, and has a little give in the plastic to soften the hit.
http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitech-ipad-2-keyboard-case
I have 20 of the ZaggFolios and 5 of the ZaggMates in service, no broken IPads yet.

The OtterBox Defender or Commuter (smaller and not as strong) are the two toughest cases out there. The IPad that bounces around in the back of my truck, and is exposed to the elements during operations, is in a Defender.

Try to drop an HP or a Sony laptop from a table or a chair....and see what happens to it...

Then go to Compusa or whatever store you bought it from....ask for a free replacement....

If the GIRL at the counter at Best Buy tells you they don't the cover physical damage your nephews did to your new laptop under the extended warranty, wait in the parking lot until the store closes and beat HER up with the broken laptop.
http://www.fark.com/comments/6855417/74048660#c74048660
when the damage is covered by your sisters homeowner's insurance in the first place.
http://www.fark.com/comments/6855417/74056009#c74056009
This comes out at the lawsuit settlement that gets the clerk her house downpayment and a new pickup for her brother.
http://www.fark.com/comments/6855417/74057849#c74057849

Last edited:

Actually I DID drop a Sony laptop once from about the same height. (accidentally of course) No damage at all -- though of course I could have just been lucky.

Anyway iPads are tablets not laptops. I'd expect any consumer handheld device to be a lot more durable, as in fact most cellphones are -- I've dropped my Verizon LG Cosmos phone a couple of times already, with no visible damage. I've gotten out of the airplane and forgotten that my Aeromedix CO monitor was on my lap, had it fall onto the ramp, works fine.

The iPad is so fragile I have to wonder about having it sitting in a yoke-mounted cradle (or even a kneeboard) in anything beyond light turbulence. Has anyone had damage occur in flight? -- assuming you didn't crash, of course! ;)

My iPod touch screen broke and I used it until the glass started falling out. I found a website that sells the glass new and I replaced it myself. Looks like new.

Here is the site and they sell the iPad front glass for around 50 bucks.

http://www.etechparts.com/iPad-Repair-Parts-s/312.htm

Heh heh... they've even got a suction cup tool for Nick's iMac...

https://www.etechparts.com/5-Mighty-Puller-Suction-Cup-Tool-p/822-8010.htm

And the ultra high-tech iPad opening/disassembly tool...

https://www.etechparts.com/1-Putty-Knife-iPad-Opening-Tool-p/822-8040.htm

That's how mine is. Most of the sharp pieces fell off. You could probably make an effort towards expanding the crack by picking at the shattered part but it seems to hold itself together. Sometimes another piece falls off.

It'll probably last long enough for the next iPad to come out - which I'll purchase immediately - since I need to stay up with the latest gear to maintain my iOS applications.

Is stop-drilling an approved repair for an iPad? :hairraise:;);)

I got one of those silicon rubber wrap-around bumpers for mine. Doesn't do much to protect the screen, marginal shock protection, but it sure does keep it from sliding!
$7 off ebay.

I got one of those silicon rubber wrap-around bumpers for mine. Doesn't do much to protect the screen, marginal shock protection, but it sure does keep it from sliding!
$7 off ebay.

I have been using those on my phones for years; I drop them reasonably frequently and have yet to crack a screen, I think they're the best phone cases.

Actually I DID drop a Sony laptop once from about the same height. (accidentally of course) No damage at all -- though of course I could have just been lucky.

Anyway iPads are tablets not laptops. I'd expect any consumer handheld device to be a lot more durable, as in fact most cellphones are -- I've dropped my Verizon LG Cosmos phone a couple of times already, with no visible damage. I've gotten out of the airplane and forgotten that my Aeromedix CO monitor was on my lap, had it fall onto the ramp, works fine.

The iPad is so fragile I have to wonder about having it sitting in a yoke-mounted cradle (or even a kneeboard) in anything beyond light turbulence. Has anyone had damage occur in flight? -- assuming you didn't crash, of course! ;)

I don't know pal...I once dropped a DELL from a bedroom table ( around 22" ) and the damned thing completely shattered on impact...

Ipads ARE fragile - that's why I purchased an Incipio case ( very thin ) to protect the back of my Ipad and the Apple smart cover to protect the screen - on top of that I applied a transparent screen protector...

And if I need to carry the Ipad...I have a sturdy neoprene bag for it...

You can never be too cautious....( better safe than sorry )....

( My wife says I'm crazy because I spent so much money in buying all kinds of protections for the Ipad....)

A Dell what? Monitor? Laptop? An iPad is a handheld device, IMO in the same category as a cellphone, handheld GPS, or calculator. IOW a device that one would naively expect to be designed to survive a different usage environment than a desktop or even a laptop computer. For example, my HP 15-C is still going strong even though I've dropped it many times and it even spent one winter lost under my car seat. It isn't as if there aren't sturdier materials available that Apple could have used (because other manufacturers of similar products have used them). Google "gorilla glass".

And yes, I have a sturdy neoprene sleeve for it too... I carry the iPad inside it ALWAYS. You're exactly right that you can never be too cautious. Mine was inside the sleeve when it slid off the seat, but unfortunately I forgot to zip the sleeve and the iPad slid partway out. Murphy's law. All it takes is a moment of inattention at the wrong time.

I agree with you that it makes a lot of sense to spend some extra money to protect it. If you had read my earlier posts you would have known that. What I'm trying to figure out is what the best product is for that purpose. From what I've seen of the Apple "smart case", it is NOT protective to any significant degree. Incipio doesn't claim that their case offers any kind of impact protection, and although most Otterbox products get great reviews, most of the reviews I've seen for their iPad 2 case give it very low ratings.

I'm willing to spend the money to protect my iPad but I still resent that it's necessary to do so considering how much the device costs. I've owned an Apple IIc, a Mac II and a MacBook Pro and thought they were all good products and well designed for their intended missions. IMHO the iPad 2 is built like a cheap toy, not like the tool for everyday use that it's marketed as.

It isn't as if there aren't sturdier materials available that Apple could have used (because other manufacturers of similar products have used them). Google "gorilla glass".
I went up once, you've probably dealt with him, too, a really great CEO in this country, Wendell Weeks, who runs Corning Glass. Steve Jobs when he does the iPhone decides he doesn't want plastic, he wants really tough glass on it, and they don't make a glass that can be tough like they want. And finally somebody says to him, because they were making all of the glass in China for the fronts of the stores, says, "You ought to check with the people at Corning. They're kind of smart there." So, he flies to Corning, New York, sits there in front of the CEO, Wendell Weeks, and says, "This is what I want, a glass that can do this." So, Wendell Weeks says, "We once created a type of process that created something called Gorilla Glass." And Steve said, "No, no, no. Here's how you make really strong glass." And Wendell says, "Wait a minute, I know how to make glass. Shut up and listen to me." And Steve, to his credit, shuts up and listens, and Wendell Weeks describes a process that makes Gorilla Glass. And Steve then says, "Fine. In six months I want enough of it to make--whatever it is--a million iPhones." And Wendell says, "I'm sorry, we've actually never made it. We don't have a factory to make it. This was a process we developed, but we never had a manufacturing plant to do it." And Steve looks at him and says what he said to Woz, 20, 30 years earlier: "Don't be afraid, you can do it." Wendell Weeks tells me... Because I flew to Corning, because I just wanted to hear this story. Wendell Weeks tells me, "I just sat there and looked at the guy. He kept saying, 'Don't be afraid. You can do this.'
Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/12/27/walter-isaacson-steve-jobs/

P.S. Sorry to hear about your iPad's misfortune.

LOL. Close enough for marketing purposes. ;)

True, and 15' would have been enough to reach terminal velocity to prove the case for actual testing purposes. The thing I don't like about that case is it doesn't cover the screen. If they would have strapped the one camera to the front instead of back, it would have landed on its face and broke.

I don't believe it. Yes I've read claims that Apple DID use Gorilla Glass and also articles saying they should have but didn't. If they did, it's too thin to have the kind of toughness Jobs apparently intended the screen to have, or else the structural design overstresses the glass layer already. Either way, it's poor design.

Find me an object of that weight - with glass covering the entire front - that can be dropped on his face onto hard cement and not break. It's a tricky balance making a display that'll look really good and be bulletproof.

Pretty much any smart phone will break in the same way if the point of impact is on the glass.

I've had no issues with it getting damaged in airplanes and yokes have been slammed into my iPad during control checks on more then one occasion.

Find me an object of that weight - with glass covering the entire front - that can be dropped on his face onto hard cement and not break. It's a tricky balance making a display that'll look really good and be bulletproof.

Pretty much any smart phone will break in the same way if the point of impact is on the glass.

That's why I use the Targus case that covers the glass when not in use.

My cell phone survived a lot of drops until one time the screen landed flush on a pebble. Game over :(

My iPad is a fashion statement. I would never go anywhere without it being one! :D

IMG_0952.jpg

Back