iPad won't synch

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
It won't start synch with iTunes on the computer it has been historically tied to. I turned on iCloud to see what I could do there, did the email address thing and got to the first screen from the Settings>iCloud menu page. I didn't find a way to manage applications on my iPad which is what I want; I'm trying to take all the Angry Birds except Space off to clear up a bunch of my 32GB iPad2 wifi disc space. When I went to initiate a back up it went into the process and stalled for an hour between calculating time and reading 7 hrs (only time ever displayed). On synch the failure is past recognition (the windows app pops open and I close) and iTunes finds it and tries to start the synch showing synch 1 of 7 and eventually yellow flags a failure after a while. I have rebooted each, iPad first, Vaio second and reproduced identical results each time. I have Netflix streaming speed internet.

Any suggestions before I make an appointment with a Genius?

Last edited:
To delete applications, press and hold them until they start wiggling. Then press red X.

Later just to keep things cleaned up, go to your App Library on PC/Mac and delete them there also so they're gone from the library for good.

Now... since you turned on iCloud, do you really want it on, or were you just looking for a way to delete an App?

Did you sync/backup before starting any of this? A full restore from that point in time would get you back where you started, then just delete the Apps the normal way...

To delete applications, press and hold them until they start wiggling. Then press red X.

Later just to keep things cleaned up, go to your App Library on PC/Mac and delete them there also so they're gone from the library for good.

Now... since you turned on iCloud, do you really want it on, or were you just looking for a way to delete an App?

Did you sync/backup before starting any of this? A full restore from that point in time would get you back where you started, then just delete the Apps the normal way...

I've been considering iCloud anyway to get the iPad untied from iTunes. It has synched to my Vaio semi frequently in the past, last was probably a couple weeks ago.

I haven't been ultra impressed with iCloud... mainly because nothing (music) that was already on the iPad didn't have to be redownloaded from "the Cloud". Of course, I didn't notice this until I was mobile and wanted to listen to some tunes, and it started streaming them over my data plan. (You choose if it'll do that over only WiFi or 4G, but still... if they were already on the device, why wipe them and have to redownload them?)

I haven't been ultra impressed with iCloud... mainly because nothing (music) that was already on the iPad didn't have to be redownloaded from "the Cloud". Of course, I didn't notice this until I was mobile and wanted to listen to some tunes, and it started streaming them over my data plan. (You choose if it'll do that over only WiFi or 4G, but still... if they were already on the device, why wipe them and have to redownload them?)

Thank you for that piece of information. iCloud now disabled.

Thank you for that piece of information. iCloud now disabled.

I had a feeling you wouldn't like that. :)

I think it also may have something to do with the fact that I pay for the iTunes Match service. That may be forcing any devices that join that AppleID's "cloud" to wipe and re-download. Not sure.

I wish they'd have left a way to sync stuff from the iTunes into the device along with iCloud... it's kinda wonky. But...

The plus is... everything's there. I don't have to pick and choose what goes on the iPhone, iPad... if it's not on there, just touch the download button and down it comes... and watch the data plan like a hawk.

One other tip... if you have a data plan and any charting services that you set the iPad down overnight and let the chart services update over WiFi... turn off Cellular Data completely during those downloads...

Reason is... if the WiFi network fails while you're asleep and you're downloading multiple gigs of chart data... it's going to switch to the cellular data network and happily hammer your data plan to finish the update. Since the App knows nothing about which network is being used...

When will they allow a person to choose 'send data by the least expensive means' or at least give the user some other options? Nothing like a 100$ surprise bill.

Reason is... if the WiFi network fails while you're asleep and you're downloading multiple gigs of chart data... it's going to switch to the cellular data network and happily hammer your data plan to finish the update. Since the App knows nothing about which network is being used...
Well, the App does know which network is being used, because if you attempt to start a chart download while on Cellular, it asks if you're sure. I think that it probably doesn't check for changes while the download is happening, though. It would be nice if it checked before each chart, and remembered your response (at least until the next download session).

When will they allow a person to choose 'send data by the least expensive means' or at least give the user some other options? Nothing like a 100$ surprise bill.

That was my main reason for avoiding Cloud and Siri and such. I do limit accidental exposure in only have a wifi iPad that I hotspot on my phone when not on a w/lan network.

Well, the App does know which network is being used, because if you attempt to start a chart download while on Cellular, it asks if you're sure. I think that it probably doesn't check for changes while the download is happening, though. It would be nice if it checked before each chart, and remembered your response (at least until the next download session).

I had Foreflight do this to me twice, so I emailed them a bug report. Got a reply back that "Foreflight" does not dynamically switch between sources (wifi or cell). I think what they meant was that its not controlled within the App, and the download is governed by the OS.

Either way.... turn off Cell service for large downloads.

Back