iPad vs. iPad mini poll.

iPad vs. iPad mini.

• iPad

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • iPad mini

Votes: 44 71.0%

• Total voters
MacRumours is predicting new iPad models in March or April.

They also say Apple is likely to update iPads on a two-year cycle.

So it seems to me that it's worth waiting a few months before buying.

Knowing Cook, he'll dump the mini... because it's actually useful.

Another vote for mini from here. Was an early adopter of FF and had a maxi for a long time but mini is the way to go.

Until the current bumper crop of idiots running Apple kills it, that is.

Knowing Cook, he'll dump the mini... because it's actually useful.

Another vote for mini from here. Was an early adopter of FF and had a maxi for a long time but mini is the way to go.

Until the current bumper crop of idiots running Apple kills it, that is.

Couldn't agree more. I used to be a huge Apple fan (and still buy basically all of their products) but I'm amazed by how much worse the company seems to get with every passing year under Cook's awful leadership...

I'm typing this on the latest Apple product (new 2016 MBP with touchbar) and it is a huge step backwards compared to previous version.

We have both. The full size iPad is OK on the lap, but still on the bigger side. For the installation on the yoke or on the panel, it is IMHO a no-go as it covers too much of the instruments.

If I had to choose one, it would be the iPad Mini, as it nicely fits on the yoke and is still a good size for the lap.

Couldn't agree more. I used to be a huge Apple fan (and still buy basically all of their products) but I'm amazed by how much worse the company seems to get with every passing year under Cook's awful leadership...

I'm typing this on the latest Apple product (new 2016 MBP with touchbar) and it is a huge step backwards compared to previous version.
That touch bar seemed like a cool thing when I first heard about it but after think ing about it later on seems like a gimmick. I am not sure there is much use for it. Rudy, have you found a use for the touch bar yet?

David - I use it pretty rarely - but in fairness, 90% of my use is at the office where my laptop is hooked up to a 27" external monitor and is closed up in clamshell mode so obviously I don't use it then.

Overall I'd say the touch bar is a minor productivity boost in some ways, but mostly a gimmick. The removal of all the useful ports we used to have, however, is unequivocally a step backwards. The only real reason I 'upgraded' from my 2014 MBP was to get the CPU increase and graphics improvement to drive my 5K monitor.

I personally say iPad Mini. I used a mini while flight instructing, and also use it to fly my plane and find the size perfect. I find the full size iPad just too big to adequately work in a small GA cockpit, the mini displays the right amount of info in the right amount of space in the right amount of size. At work we have the full sized iPads and I just find it too big and clunky and in the way.

I wanted a MacBook Air that was faster than the one I had (an 11" 2010 with 2GB RAM and 126GB HD). They don't make them any more in 11" so I got a 2015 from the refurb store with 8GB RAM an a 512GB hard drive. I'm really pleased with the speed and the size.

Apple puts their buttons on the wrong side and they won't make one in my favorite color - Neon Brown!

So you were a Zune fan?

https://www.engadget.com/2007/10/22/the-80-brown-zune/

mr-hanky-zue.jpg

Thinking about being less of a Luddite and hopping on the ForeFlight bandwagon. How much memory do I need in an ipad mini?

For reference - I have an Ipad Mini 64gb. I keep ForeFlight synchronized with VFR sectionals, IFR Lo enroutes, and IAPs for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and California. It takes WAY too long to bother syncing the whole country, and those states capture 90% of my annual flying, so I just add the additional states required for longer flights. Out of the 64gb, the total that all my Apps are using is 26.3 gb, and ForeFlight is using 6.05 gb of that. I would say that 32 gb is adequate if you don't use the pad for too much else besides ForeFlight, and 64gb is plenty of space if you have other apps/music/limited videos. Movies take up a lot of space, about 5 gb for a 2 hour movie, so if you plan to have a lot of those you may want a bigger device.

What about Garmin aera 796?

Costs as much as 2.7 high-end Ipad Mini 4's or 4.25 low-end Ipad Mini 4's. Weights 2.5x as much as an Ipad Mini 4 and is bulky as all get-out. (it's close to 2" thick FFS...) Cannot play Angry Birds.

Costs as much as 2.7 high-end Ipad Mini 4's or 4.25 low-end Ipad Mini 4's. Weights 2.5x as much as an Ipad Mini 4 and is bulky as all get-out. (it's close to 2" thick FFS...) Cannot play Angry Birds.
Can't argue about angry birds

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thinking about being less of a Luddite and hopping on the ForeFlight bandwagon. How much memory do I need in an ipad mini?

The entire county plus IFR plus everything, is something in the range of 16GB. Double that for storage space needed during the release cycle overlap, so usually a 32GB iPad with music or other "stuff" on it will whine doing a FULL update unless you wait until after the cycle has started and it can throw out the old data as it downloads new.

As someone else mentioned though, there's very few pilots with any real need to do a full update. You can manage it by State and not download anything but say, perhaps your home state and surrounding states if you fly that far away regularly. Can add any state via download if you're on decent bandwidth (or even at the airport if you don't mind chewing up some cellular bandwidth and have a data plan attached to the thing) anytime.

So generally, if you're frugal about what states you put in it, any sized iPad will work. If you're a weirdo that needs every state, Hawaii, and Alaska, plus IFR charts, plus Caribbean, plus Canadian border stuff, plus whatever else is in there... you really need 64 to get through the few days in the cycle where you've downloaded all the new stuff, and are still using the old stuff, if you have anything else on the iPad.

With absolutely nothing else on the iPad or a little email maybe, you might get it to not whine if doing a FULL update... but then again, most folks don't need a full update at all.

Back