iPad too bright!

JimNtexas

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim - In Texas!
I don't like to fly at night, but sometimes it does happen. Last weekend was my first flight with an iPad when it was really dark.

FF is super great, but that darn iPad was too bright to use! I wound up turning it off and just navigating by following IH35 from the San Antonio area up to Bergstrom.

Yes, I turned the brightness all the way down.

That sucked, because one great thing about a moving map is how easy it makes it to have plan if the engine quits.

But if you are night blind then your already slim chances of surviving losing all of your engines at night essentially go to single digits. If you are lucky.

Does there exist a screen or cover that will attenuate the light from a tablet?

I don't like to fly at night, but sometimes it does happen. Last weekend was my first flight with an iPad when it was really dark.

FF is super great, but that darn iPad was too bright to use! I wound up turning it off and just navigating by following IH35 from the San Antonio area up to Bergstrom.

Yes, I turned the brightness all the way down.

That sucked, because one great thing about a moving map is how easy it makes it to have plan if the engine quits.

But if you are night blind then your already slim chances of surviving losing all of your engines at night essentially go to single digits. If you are lucky.

Does there exist a screen or cover that will attenuate the light from a tablet?

FF has its own dimmer for the reasons you discovered. Go to "more" "settings" and then slide the slider to the left.

right, you need the double dimmer

turn the ipad brightness down all the way in settings, then go inside foreslight and thrn down eht brightness some more.

for approach plates, invert the image

Ipad trick.... Triple click home button for instant inversion.

Makes the Blue Board become brown on black background

That works but I can't get the "triple click" to work.

In accessibility, scroll down to the las setting, "Accesibility Shortcut", and make sure it is set to "invert colors".

The next Aggie lesson is how to count to twenty one. Start with the fingers of your left hand, then your right. Now the toes of your left foot, then your right. Pause for a moment, then drop your shorts.

In accessibility, scroll down to the las setting, "Accesibility Shortcut", and make sure it is set to "invert colors".

The next Aggie lesson is how to count to twenty one. Start with the fingers of your left hand, then your right. Now the toes of your left foot, then your right. Pause for a moment, then drop your shorts.

I thought that was how Aggies counted fractions!:rofl:

:goofy::goofy: poor Aggies...

Anyway, I was thinking about another current thread about , "my iPad died so I canceled my flight".

More is more these days.

On one hand, you really have to invest time and effort to train on feature rich, always evolving products like ForeFlight or you will find your reliance on them thwarted. On the other hand, you need to continue to invest time and effort staying proficient with your primary and backup devices lest you find yourself 2 miles up playing with a broken video game.

All this stuff makes flying easier, faster, and safer but it seems you have to work harder at not screwing up.

I did that in the park last year and it landed me on a sex offender list. :lol:

right, you need the double dimmer

turn the ipad brightness down all the way in settings, then go inside foreslight and thrn down eht brightness some more.

for approach plates, invert the image

Ah, that makes sense! I just use the FF dimmer.

I think the fact that WingX has a real night mode is an advantage over FF.

:goofy::goofy: poor Aggies...

Anyway, I was thinking about another current thread about , "my iPad died so I canceled my flight".

I thought about that also. I had a KLN89 point at my destination, I was mainly using FF to identify the closest field suitable for a no motor landing. My night technique is to bend my route to stay close to airports as much as I can without wandering all over the shire.

The engine out case is why I try to preserve my night vision, so I least I can see the obstruction that is about to kill me before it kills me.

In this case the Good Lord gave us fire, which gave us electricity, which gave us electric lights, which when you are over San Antonio at night draw a slightly curvy line on the surface of the earth that goes up to Austin.

I just switched from FF to IH35, backed up with KLN89b, to find Austin. :)

Kinda/not quite. What Hilton did was have a button in on his screens that duplicates/accesses the "triple-click the home button" feature we're telling TimWinters to do.

You're telling me that when you turned the FF off that you didn't immediately declare an emergency and land as soon as you could? How did you fly without FF? I call BS that you were able to find the airport.

At least you did not declare an emergency and divert because the iPad was not working as you expected.

I actually own a WWII vintage aircraft periscopic sextant. I've thought about punching a hole in the roof of one of our airplanes so that I could take cel shots with it, in case my iPad fails.

Or maybe I could persuade FF to add the HO249 tables to the database for the event that gps goes away.

I'm not sure how my fellow club members might react to a hole in the roof though. ;)

FF has its own dimmer for the reasons you discovered. Go to "more" "settings" and then slide the slider to the left.

You don't have to go to More->Settings, you can also access it from the gear icon right on the Maps page I think... I can't tell you for sure tho 'cuz my iPad got stolen and I'm waiting for the next generation to come out here in a couple weeks before I buy a new one. :(

You don't have to go to More->Settings, you can also access it from the gear icon right on the Maps page I think... I can't tell you for sure tho 'cuz my iPad got stolen and I'm waiting for the next generation to come out here in a couple weeks before I buy a new one. :(

The highlighted is correct.

Several other map changing things (like track up and north up) are found under the "gear" menu

Ah, that makes sense! I just use the FF dimmer.

Always start with the iPad dimmer....that one saves you battery life.

Back