iPad recommendations

For yoke mounting, the mini is the only way to go. But I preferred the 10.5” size for flight planning, scratch pads with Apple Pencil (probably workable on new mini), and use in the cockpit other than mounted on the yoke.

The palm rejection of the Apple Pencil is why I prefer it over third party alternatives, especially on older devices like the 4th generation iPad mini.

I would also recommend not driving to the airport with your iPad sitting on the hood of your car. With the help of Find My, you can gain peace of mind that nobody is out there seeing your personal reminders, but you probably won’t be able to run any EFB apps. I experimented with this recently and the results generally met my expectations, other than Find My working much better than I would have thought it could with a wifi-only iPad lying in the road far from any known wifi networks.

I use a 2019 iPad Pro 11inch with a RAM suction mount in a Diamond DA-40. I suction it directly above the vent/door. For me, it's just the right size to not block any view of the G1000/panel while taking advantage of the big screen. I know many like the iPad mini, but the 11 inch Pro works great for me.

It has a metal point (copper)? I would think that would scratch the screen.
MooneyDriver - sorry, I missed your question.

You are correct: yes, it does have a metal point, albeit one that is somewhat rounded. Because of this, I had to resist the urge to use the stylus until I could apply a plastic screen protector. But with the protector in place it works fine, and I don’t even think the poly screen protector has been scratched.

Back