iPad question

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
I have an iPad one. It is using iOS 4.2.1 ... Seems to be working fine for no more than I do. Is there any reason I would want to upgrade to. New iOS? If so, can it even be done?

I also just use foreflight without the new add ons

iOS 5.1.1 is the most current. My Gen1 iPad updates automatically.

Well it does ask first.

I read elsewhere that there are still bugs with the iOS 5.1.1. Maybe I should let it be till I see that it really needs to be changed

Biggest reason to update would be to get iCloud syncing and the wireless updates from now on. There are a bunch of bug fixes as well. (Some new bugs though)

Ok, so if I want to update this iPad and it doesn't offer to do it automatically then how do I do that?
Sorry, I am technically challenged...

Ok, so if I want to update this iPad and it doesn't offer to do it automatically then how do I do that?
Sorry, I am technically challenged...

Plug it in to a computer with Itunes and it should offer to do an update.

I thought that might be it... Ok, thanks y'all.

Once you're on iOS 5 and higher the next update can be done without plugging into iTunes. The devices can update themselves. Keep iTunes around of course, in case of a problem.

I read elsewhere that there are still bugs with the iOS 5.1.1. Maybe I should let it be till I see that it really needs to be changed

It's a freaking Apple, it will always be full of bugs:(. Mine is on the latest and since upgrade I'm f-d for synching, it won't ever finish the process. This thing has been a completely dissappointing except for Angry Birds and Netfix. Watching Net Flix is the only thing this thing does well and even then it crashes.

If everything you have works, I'd be hesitant because these damned things don't let you fix them in the typical Apple option limiting fashion.

Thanks for posting this Jeanie, I noticed one of ours had an entirely different look to it and didn't know how to upgrade it to 5.1.1 til now.

One word of caution, if you aren't familiar with ITunes, it has a nasty learning curve and is not at all intuitive, unlike the iPhone and iPad products it supports. Upgrading the IOS is fairly straightforward, but other functions such as music and app synching can be a tad confusing at first.

This makes me laugh, no offense.
The apple OS is known for being very well done and with way less bugs as compared to windows or the droid OS.
I've had the gen 1 IPAD and now the gen 3 IPAD, My wife has the gen 2 IPAD. We all have Iphones. We have a mixed network of macs and windows PCs. We have NO issues with any IOS device or the macs. Now that the windows machines are running 7, very few issues with them as well.
Most issues as described here are user error.
You might try a hard reset and if that does not work, take it to an apple store or send it in.

It's a freaking Apple, it will always be full of bugs:(. Mine is on the latest and since upgrade I'm f-d for synching, it won't ever finish the process. This thing has been a completely dissappointing except for Angry Birds and Netfix. Watching Net Flix is the only thing this thing does well and even then it crashes.

If everything you have works, I'd be hesitant because these damned things don't let you fix them in the typical Apple option limiting fashion.

This makes me laugh, no offense.
The apple OS is known for being very well done and with way less bugs as compared to windows or the droid OS.
I've had the gen 1 IPAD and now the gen 3 IPAD, My wife has the gen 2 IPAD. We all have Iphones. We have a mixed network of macs and windows PCs. We have NO issues with any IOS device or the macs. Now that the windows machines are running 7, very few issues with them as well.
Most issues as described here are user error.
You might try a hard reset and if that does not work, take it to an apple store or send it in.

Less bugs total maybe but that is because the thing only does 1/3rd of what a PC does, hell, it's a PITA just to place the cursor in the correct place in a word to fix what auto correct just screwed up. When the machine won't automatically do what it's supposed to do, there's no way to deal with it. Then there is the entire lack of an SD slot that is completely idiotic, I guess they held that one back for iPad 4 or 5 so they'll have a selling point. This thing is a one trick pony with a highly restricted OS.

This thing also crashes more than my laptop and phone combined.

Comparing iPads and PCs is an apple and oranges comparison.

An iPad is a media consumption device. A PC (or MAC) is a creative device. Can you write a novel on an iPad? Sure, but it'd be a whole lot easier on a MAC or PC.

If your life is consuming media then an iPad would be ideal. It does the job great. If your life is editing video or photos or writing large documents then a Mac or PC would be better suited.

Comparing iPads and PCs is an apple and oranges comparison.

An iPad is a media consumption device. A PC (or MAC) is a creative device. Can you write a novel on an iPad? Sure, but it'd be a whole lot easier on a MAC or PC.

If your life is consuming media then an iPad would be ideal. It does the job great. If your life is editing video or photos or writing large documents then a Mac or PC would be better suited.

I use it as a communications device, and even as a media consumption platform it's limited in how it consumes. You have to buy a dongle. If I need to email a file attachment the only way I've figured out how to do it is create emails to myslf with the documents to store at Yahoo and then fill and forward them.

I'd say that if you're handeling documents then you are not consuming. A file structure is necessary for creation, not consumption.

iPad allows you to consume documents, ie read them. But if you want to manage a bunch of them and add content to them then a Mac Book or Laptop would be much better suited to the task.

Henning. I get the same error message when I try a hard wired sync. Syncs just fine over wifi. Sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the wifi to pad connection.

To wifi sync the computer and pad have to be on the same net and also the pad or phone must be plugged in to a power source (not necessarily the computer).

As for the other posters question. You can update via iTunes by plugging the device to the computer and if it doesn't prompt an update, the device main page has update and restore buttons on it. Along with sync. Once you have 5.0 on you can download updates and install without needing a computer.

I use it as a communications device, and even as a media consumption platform it's limited in how it consumes. You have to buy a dongle. If I need to email a file attachment the only way I've figured out how to do it is create emails to myslf with the documents to store at Yahoo and then fill and forward them.

Docs to go. Is a versatile app. Can view and manipulate word files.

I'd say that if you're handeling documents then you are not consuming. A file structure is necessary for creation, not consumption.

iPad allows you to consume documents, ie read them. But if you want to manage a bunch of them and add content to them then a Mac Book or Laptop would be much better suited to the task.

Well the machine needs to consume from me as well. If Apple does not intend for the machine to be a communications device they should not have installed an email program and they should not allow nor profit from the sales of applications like WingX and every other navigation program that loses it's charts when the machine hiccups and there's no way to get them back unless you have Internet. None of these navigation programs should be sold through the Apple Store because the machine is not designed to run them.

I've had no problem with ForeFlight or WingX. I must point out both of those programs are consumption apps and not creation apps. Email is consumption as well. Yes, you can create an email...but I'm grouping creation to bigger things...creating large files (books) or video or audio files. Nobody edits a blog or newscast with an iPad.

All I'm saying is that an iPad is an iPad. It's not designed to replace a laptop. It's it's own category. Digital consumption is an iPads bread and butter. If you're trying to edit video or write a novel on an iPad then you're going to have a bad experience.

I specifically got my iPad for Foreflight, but I find it's pretty versatile for other things. It doesn't do email as well as a desktop or laptop but it's close enough. I can stand at the bar, pound shots of whiskey and appear as if I'm replying from my desktop PC. That used to be the mission of my iPhone but I'll type very long and complex emails from the iPad. I can post to message boards like the POA just as well (I'm using my iPad right now).

For the portability factor and just grab it and go factor it's pretty hard to beat. Now if only it had native Flash support....

Definitely not worth it. I'll buy it from you for half price. Total POS that it is. ;)

P.S. I've noticed a district trend.

People doing iTunes/PC sync have all sorts of problems.

People doing it iTunes/Mac don't have nearly as many.

Always going to be some. This is what backups are for.

P.S. I've noticed a district trend.

People doing iTunes/PC sync have all sorts of problems.

People doing it iTunes/Mac don't have nearly as many.

Always going to be some. This is what backups are for.

How do you back up when it won't sync:(.

Less bugs total maybe but that is because the thing only does 1/3rd of what a PC does, hell, it's a PITA just to place the cursor in the correct place in a word to fix what auto correct just screwed up.

You know about pressing your finger to the screen and holding it in the edit box til you get a magnifying bubble, then sliding that bubble's insert cursor exactly where you want it to be? I had the same complaint as you until I discovered that.

And I'm hopeful Apple includes this great concept in iOS6:

http://www.cultofmac.com/165223/awe...pt-now-available-as-tweak-in-cydia-jailbreak/

Back