iPad Pro 10.5" and ForeFlight

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
My formerly faithful iPad Mini 2 was really showing its age. And I had been saving back $100 a month for the past year to purchase a replacement iPad Pro 10.5 inch WiFi + Celluar.

The iPad Pro was purchased this week and it's living up to the promise of better screen and speed.

ForeFlight boots up in 40% of time compared to the Mini 2. Download speeds of the charts is also much improved. And the bigger screen and better resolution means the charts and other info really pops and is much easier to read.

I also like the increased screen real estate to view the charts and approach plates.

First flight with it will be tomorrow. Mounting option was the MyGoFlight Sport Mount - Flex Yoke.

Other aspects of the new iPad make me a happier tablet user. Books are easier to read. Sound through the speakers is better (because it now has 4 good speakers instead of 2 wimpy ones). Browsing and streaming speeds feel peppier.

For note taking, I decided against the Apple Pencil (nice, but too pricey for my needs) and found this lower cost option that is a hybrid between a stylus and a ball point pen. http://a.co/ijVU1pl Which should work well for flight use for when I want to jot notes on kneeboard paper, or do something on the tablet.

how does it fit on the yoke, ok?

As someone who flies a Mooney(rather than a Monkey Banana) I haven't found a way to keep the 10.5 mounted anywhere that I like(yoke or window). I keep it sitting on my right leg most of the time. I should probably try again one of these days, I have plenty of RAM Mount parts to make nearly anything work, in theory.

I have a ram mount (X-grip with 1" arm) for my 10.5 off the panel in front of my copilot yoke. It sticks out a bit far (doesn't interfere) with controls and it blocks access to my glove box - but -it's ok. I am going to try a magnetic mount next. Thinking it may not stick out so much. I still keep my iPad mini on my knee - it's just too handy to have there if I want to look something up.

Dean

After having an original iPad, the original Mini, and a Mini 2, I have been extremely happy with my Mini 4. Load times have been quicker and the device hasn't seemed to heat up as much. Unfortunately, with Apple not caring about anything in the size of the Mini (except for confusingly an iPhone), I may start looking at other brands if this one starts getting long in the tooth.

I'm currently working on creating a DYI kneeboard to accommodate the 10.5... Nothing I see online grabs me... The mini on a yoke-mount is borderline blocking instruments already, so I know the 10.5 will for sure... It will be configured so it can be angled up and then swiveled out of the way of the yoke... I think it will work pretty well...

I'm currently working on creating a DYI kneeboard to accommodate the 10.5... Nothing I see online grabs me... The mini on a yoke-mount is borderline blocking instruments already, so I know the 10.5 will for sure... It will be configured so it can be angled up and then swiveled out of the way of the yoke... I think it will work pretty well...

Funny...I love my Mini on the yoke now that I can actually put it there. Was always used to the 696 or 796 there, so the Mini seems smaller by comparison.

My formerly faithful iPad Mini 2 was really showing its age. And I had been saving back $100 a month for the past year to purchase a replacement iPad Pro 10.5 inch WiFi + Celluar.

The iPad Pro was purchased this week and it's living up to the promise of better screen and speed.

ForeFlight boots up in 40% of time compared to the Mini 2. Download speeds of the charts is also much improved. And the bigger screen and better resolution means the charts and other info really pops and is much easier to read.

I also like the increased screen real estate to view the charts and approach plates.

First flight with it will be tomorrow. Mounting option was the MyGoFlight Sport Mount - Flex Yoke.

Other aspects of the new iPad make me a happier tablet user. Books are easier to read. Sound through the speakers is better (because it now has 4 good speakers instead of 2 wimpy ones). Browsing and streaming speeds feel peppier.

For note taking, I decided against the Apple Pencil (nice, but too pricey for my needs) and found this lower cost option that is a hybrid between a stylus and a ball point pen. http://a.co/ijVU1pl Which should work well for flight use for when I want to jot notes on kneeboard paper, or do something on the tablet.

Sounds like you had been updating that mini?

I'm currently working on creating a DYI kneeboard to accommodate the 10.5... Nothing I see online grabs me...
The day-to-day cover was this one that I got from Ztotop through Amazon: http://a.co/cZfR3Gt $19 and it's a good fit for how I roll when not flying.

I could see a DYI-er taking this and cutting a slit in the spine for an elastic strap. Or scavenging the plastic that holds the ipad and working in slits for an elastic strap.

Even more basic would be take any aluminum kneeboard option (like the ASA VFR or IFR kneeboards) you happen to have cluttering your hangar and then putting some of that bumpy non-slip shelf liner on it.

And no matter what the naysayers are going to say, I'm happy with the upgrade since it's for way more than just aviation. And others considering the same upgrade will be just as happy.

I have the UAG case for mine and the official apple keyboard, seems like a decent combination so I get a little protection and can still use a keyboard.

And no matter what the naysayers are going to say, I'm happy with the upgrade since it's for way more than just aviation. And others considering the same upgrade will be just as happy.
Yeah.... I am really happy that I made the upgrade. I got the 256gb wifi-only - not the cellular version, but the wifi hotspot from my cell phone works just fine.

As someone who flies a Mooney(rather than a Monkey Banana) I haven't found a way to keep the 10.5 mounted anywhere that I like(yoke or window). I keep it sitting on my right leg most of the time. I should probably try again one of these days, I have plenty of RAM Mount parts to make nearly anything work, in theory.
I current have the 10.5 in a J model mounted on the pax side window. Now the mount i use is the double suction cup. It held up quite well yesterday when I was flying in turbulent winds. I prefer it on the yoke, but i find it a little too big.

I went with the 256GB with Cellular, and then I activated a Ting SIM on it, and another SIM for my backup phone as well. I like not having to use a separate GPS receiver every time I fly(especially if I'm just heading down the coast for some sightseeing and I don't need to pull out the ADS-B receiver) and then being able to turn on cellular for a quick weather check wherever I am on the ground. Looks like my monthly bill for the 2 runs about $18-22

I'm still waiting on someone to try the 12.9" mounted in the cockpit!
Flew with a friend in his Meridian. He had the big 12.9". That thing is crazy big as a tablet. He wasn't able to mount it anywhere. He had it in his lap/hands when he needed it. Otherwise, he stowed it between the seat and the side wall when not in use.

Mounted iPad Pro on the yoke of my 182 with Velcro.
Fits like it was meant to be there. Does not interfere with anything.
Pull it off to take a closer look, then stick it back on. Works great.

Back