iPad power cord

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
For those of you who use an iPad in flight, do you use a power cord, or just make sure the ipad is charged up before flight?

I carry a power cord, but haven't needed to use it yet. I generally have it fully charged before I launch and haven't flown long enough to outlast the battery (yet).

I charge it and my Elf the night before, but I carry a battery pack with both the lightening cord as well as a MicroUSB cord so I can charge anything with that pack

Those charge packs are awesome just to have when traveling. No worry about having an outlet or anything.

Use a power cord ,also try to keep it at 90 % ,for any approach I may have to fly. Use the I pad with Foreflight.

Both. I use my Ipad mainly to take pictures/videos though. No Foreflight for me!

Thanks guys. What about if you use a kneeboard? Can you use a power cord with a kneeboard?

Thanks guys. What about if you use a kneeboard? Can you use a power cord with a kneeboard?

Probably. You might have to flip it upside down.

I charge it. I have my cable should I need it, but I have never had to use it.

For those of you who use an iPad in flight, do you use a power cord, or just make sure the ipad is charged up before flight?

Both.

Plus employ appropriate power saving techniques.. including turning it off in cruise.

Well, my kneeboard is made of aluminum and fabric, so a power cord is a bit of overkill.

Short flights, battery. Long flights, 12v adapter. Works fine whether mounted, on a kneeboard or just lying in your lap.

I just got back from a 4.5 hr round trip. It was below 50% on way back and I knew we'd be doing an approach so I plugged it in to be safe.

Also carry the backup power packs. They're pretty handy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 22
I charge it and my Elf the night before, but I carry a battery pack with both the lightening cord as well as a MicroUSB cord so I can charge anything with that pack

Those charge packs are awesome just to have when traveling. No worry about having an outlet or anything.

Yeah, I got a really nice Anker 12000mAh battery pack that I carry with me. If I'm doing multiple long legs I'm careful to turn off the iPad whenever I can, and when the battery gets below 40% I plug in the charger. Just gotta be careful if the iPad is in the direct sun because charging will warm it up even further which could cause the iPad to shut itself off until it cools.

I would generally caution to get a good quality (well-reviewed) battery pack if you're going to fly with it because you want one that will charge at the fastest rate possible and you want to minimize the possibility of a fire. Unlikely, of course, but any time you're charging a battery in a consumer product in flight you want to at least think about what you'd do if something went wrong. It's not the iPad I'm worried about, but a dirt cheap external battery pack with low-quality batteries and poor design.

If the flight is less than 4 hours or so I don't worry about external power.

Back