• iPad Mini

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm giving in and buying an iPad for flying with Foreflight. Reduce cabin clutter, and have a better setup than the current computer thing I've been using that doesn't have en-route plates or sectionals in it. Then having the built-in handheld GPS. Fine, I'll buy one.

But which one? The full-sized iPad or the iPad Mini? I've played with both some. Some clients of mine had a full-sized iPad with yoke mount in their Bonanza and it seemed to be too large for a yoke mount and got in the way. On the other hand, that probably would work well if I put it on the co-pilot's side yoke, which might not be a bad place for it in the 310.

I used David's iPad Mini briefly (I think?) when he flew with me in the Aztec down on its final flight, and seemed to recall it felt like it was a decent size. Also saw Ren's iPad Mini in the 152 the other day, and it looked like it was a good size.

Another point is that I don't intend on using the iPad for anything besides flying. I'm sure I'll use it some, but not extensively.

What say ye? Curious about opinions.

I sold my iPad 2 and bought an iPad mini not too long ago. It works GREAT in the cockpit. Perfect size. The iPad 2 got in the way too often. Hard to put it on a kneeboard due to its size. Just my opinion.

I voted iPad mini and I've never seen one. The iPad is just too big.

Out of the airplane, I prefer the full-size iPad. But in the cockpit, the mini is just a better fit. Even though the screen is smaller, it is not TOO much smaller.

Concur with Mini for Cockpit, full-size for flight planning. If you only have one, I'd probably do the Mini. But I'm holding out for the Retina display Mini, so still using and enjoying the full-sized in the cockpit!

Concur with Mini for Cockpit, full-size for flight planning. If you only have one, I'd probably do the Mini. But I'm holding out for the Retina display Mini, so still using and enjoying the full-sized in the cockpit!

Any idea when the Retina display will come to the Mini?

I have an iPad now. It is a bit big in my cockpit. I'm planning to get an iPad mini soon, and will keep the maxi-Pad in my flight bag as backup. An iPad mini is reasonable to mount on a yoke in a light aircraft. The full size is much too big for that IMHO.

Right now I have the iPad 4 or 5 or whatever... just got it last spring as a gift.. It is a little cimbersome when flying but I am adjusting..

Regarding the Mini Me iPad I am holding out for while to see what Samsung and the others are doing..

I use the full size on the yoke of my '76 Warrior. It doesn't get in the way. Being a bit older I like the larger screen size. I'd have to try someone's mini to think about changing.

I recently switched from an iPad 2 to a mini and I definately like it better for in the cockpit.

Sold my iPad, bought a Nexus 7. Huge improvement. No more screwing with iTunes, no more incompetent Apple software (on-screen keyboard displays upper case when typing lower case), no more restrictions on apps (want to look at Flash content? Too bad, Steve didn't like Adobe. Want AdBlock Plus? Forget it.).

It fits very nicely in the cockpit. Right now I'm using the RAM suction mount on the lower left windshield or on the side window depending on airplane. That puts it close enough that the effective screen size is larger than a 10" screen down on a kneeboard.

No ForeFlight on Android, but the Garmin Pilot app is quite good and eventually these apps will converge and have all the same features anyway.

Oh, and the Nexus 7 is cheaper than Apple and Garmin Pilot is only $50/year right now.

Search Jay Honeck's posts on the N7 and Pilot. That's what convinced me.

Last edited:
The angle/perspective might not be perfect but here is a side-by-side with my old iPad 2 and the new Mini.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Ted DuPuis;1110863 But which one? The full-sized iPad or the iPad Mini?.[/QUOTE said:
The mini of course! : )

The better questions are: 4G or wifi only? 16, 32 or 64 gig memory?

My vote is for the 4G. Not having connectivity all the time defeats the purpose of having access to weather, updates and filing flight plans.

As for memory, that depends on you videos, pictures and music files. I have the 64. I love the mini!

Gene

I use the full size on the yoke of my '76 Warrior. It doesn't get in the way. Being a bit older I like the larger screen size. I'd have to try someone's mini to think about changing.

That's why they have pinch and zoom. Screen size doesnt matter. that feature was designed for 50+ year-old eyes.

Gene

The mini of course! : )

The better questions are: 4G or wifi only? 16, 32 or 64 gig memory?

Unless you plan on getting an external GPS, you need the 4G for the integrated. The WiFi only does not have GPS and will render Foreflight a chart application only -- no geo-referencing, no ETA, etc.

As for size, if you only plan on putting Foreflight on it, you can squeak by with the 16GB, but if you plan on doing anything else, you will want the 32GB or 64GB (or even 128GB if the rumors are true).

I concur with the others, the standard iPad is too big, the mini would just fit better. Though with a hardware refresh looming, it would be wise to wait.

Last edited:
I went for it all with the iPad mini and I bought the 64gb 4G so that I wouldn't have to worry about space or gps.
With everything that I have loaded on my iPad mini I have so far used 34gb.

If there really is a iPad mini coming out with retina display and 120gb of space you may want to wait if it means that much to you.
But for me the iPad mini 64gb with 4G is perfect and Foreflight just completes the package.

Out of the airplane, I prefer the full-size iPad. But in the cockpit, the mini is just a better fit. Even though the screen is smaller, it is not TOO much smaller.

So what you're saying is: one of each! :yes::thumbsup:

Back