iPad News?

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
If anyone at the show is attending the "meeting of the minds" for the iPad discussion I would appreciate hearing your thoughts, opinions, and info if you attend the meeting as well.

Wednesday, July 31, at 1 p.m. in Pavilion 6.

Executives from ForeFlight, Garmin, Hilton Software, Jeppesen, MyGoFlight, and others are scheduled to take part in a forum on Wednesday, July 31, at 1 p.m. in Pavilion 6.

The roundtable gives pilots an opportunity to hear directly from the people at the center of one of the biggest changes in decades in the way pilots plan and make their trips. Those who attend will be able to ask questions of panelists directly.

There is a new iOS out this fall, ios7.
Predicted to leave the Gen 1 iPad even further behind. Gen 1 is stuck on iOS 5.1.
Prediction that software developers will no longer support old iOS 5 and 7.
So those running Gen 1 iPads will no longer get app updates.

So when is the iPad 5 going to be released? Word is it will be the Mini Ver 2.

I was hoping that would be addressed at the meeting regarding the new IOS change and any anticipated immediate conflicts.

Yep iPad 1 is dead for any future support or upgrades

Bets are that a new mini will be introduced in October....I may be wrong, but thinking that if introduced I will give my Stratus 1 and mini to my son who is learning to fly.

Bets are that a new mini will be introduced in October....I may be wrong, but thinking that if introduced I will give my Stratus 1 and mini to my son who is learning to fly.

Rumors on the Internet suggest that the iPad mini 2 may not be released until 2014. This is what I was hoping to replace my iPad 1 with.

I am running ios7 on an iPad and most apps work fine as is. Foreflight has some wonkiness in the menus because of the standard UI controls were tweaked, but otherwise works fine. Battery life when using location services should be improved though I want put it to the test. And some tweak in beta 4 sucked down 20% of my battery in an hour (mail fetching my 6000 unread perhaps) but I rebooted that problem away. Apple said launches would hit Q4 and into 2014, but most likely the new ipad(s) will hit when they "are ready." My gut says wait for the launch and pick up the previous generation on discount as most changes will be small evolutionary. Hi-res iPad mini is likely but that will be a trade on battery life or weight.

Thanks for the heads up on the workshop - should be a fun one to attend. Now if I could find a less cruddy camping spot....

Executives from ForeFlight, Garmin, Hilton Software, Jeppesen, MyGoFlight, and others are scheduled to take part in a forum on Wednesday, July 31, at 1 p.m. in Pavilion 6.

The EXECUTIVES are the LAST people I want to hear from. Design and apps engineers who tell the truth rather than hype and PR is where it is at, not the beancounters.

Jim

I am running ios7 on an iPad and most apps work fine as is. Foreflight has some wonkiness in the menus because of the standard UI controls were tweaked, but otherwise works fine. Battery life when using location services should be improved though I want put it to the test. And some tweak in beta 4 sucked down 20% of my battery in an hour (mail fetching my 6000 unread perhaps) but I rebooted that problem away. Apple said launches would hit Q4 and into 2014, but most likely the new ipad(s) will hit when they "are ready." My gut says wait for the launch and pick up the previous generation on discount as most changes will be small evolutionary. Hi-res iPad mini is likely but that will be a trade on battery life or weight.

Thanks for the heads up on the workshop - should be a fun one to attend. Now if I could find a less cruddy camping spot....

iOS7 is released already? I thought it was a fall release.
Unless you are a beta tester.

I am running the beta. And just inadvertently confirmed the Mail bug. Added an account this morning, and it was dead this evening. This is why i don't run betas OS' on my real phone.

I am trying to help my dad make a decision on the best cost effective way for him to get an Ipad and get the plates, maps, and up to date weather without having to pay the 699.99-900 for the GDL 39 or the Stratus 2. I have found GLOBALNAVSOURCE as an app for the Ipad 2. Has anyone used this? do you need to have a data plan from a cellular service provider to access the weather and maps while in flight? Or can you use the GPS in the Ipad? Any info would be great and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bre

I am trying to help my dad make a decision on the best cost effective way for him to get an Ipad and get the plates, maps, and up to date weather without having to pay the 699.99-900 for the GDL 39 or the Stratus 2. I have found GLOBALNAVSOURCE as an app for the Ipad 2. Has anyone used this? do you need to have a data plan from a cellular service provider to access the weather and maps while in flight? Or can you use the GPS in the Ipad? Any info would be great and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bre

For weather in flight you will need ADS-B in or XM. Either way you are going to have to spend the money (GDL 39, Stratus, etc.). For moving map and GPS, you can use the internal GPS and there are several options (ForeFlight, Wing-X, Garmin Pilot, and AOPA FlyQ just to name a few).

The EXECUTIVES are the LAST people I want to hear from. Design and apps engineers who tell the truth rather than hype and PR is where it is at, not the beancounters.

Jim

FWIW, for operations like ForeFlight and Hilton Software, the "Execs" are the developers and engineers. For Jeppesen and Garmin, I'm not really interested in what they have to say in this space anyway.

No on from Apple . ..

As an industry, Aviation (or more specifically General Aviation) is barely a blip on their screen. Besides, there's nothing they're going to say that you or the folks above don't already know...

As an industry, Aviation (or more specifically General Aviation) is barely a blip on their screen. Besides, there's nothing they're going to say that you or the folks above don't already know...

Same for Google/Android.

Cheers

Bre

I had never heard of the GlobalNavSource app before. I assume you understand that it is not a free app and will require subscriptions to get the map updates, same as ForeFlight, Garmin, WingX, etc. It doesn't look like it has much in the way of flight planning tools, either, so I'm not really sure what is appealing about that app.

Second, yes, you will need some sort of data connection to get in-flight weather. The only reliable way is with an XM feed or one of the ADS-B receivers like the Stratus 2. Keep in mind, as well, that many of those ADS-B receivers and their accompanying software are locked to each other -- i.e. you can only use a Stratus with Foreflight, and Foreflight will only accept ADS-B weather from a Stratus.

As far as GPS, you can use a 3G/4G iPad's built-in GPS just fine in flight, or buy an external bluetooth GPS for a wifi-only iPad. If you DO have a 3G/4G iPad, and subscribe to a data plan, the data connection may only be usable on the ground. Some users have had success getting weather in the air at lower altitudes, but I have rarely seen a data connection while flying, even in congested areas.

Yes the Nav source app is $40 a month. Ok so either way it my dad is going to have to pony up if he wants to have everything at his fingertips.

Thanks to all who replied!

Yes the Nav source app is $40 a month. Ok so either way it my dad is going to have to pony up if he wants to have everything at his fingertips.

Thanks to all who replied!

ForeFlight is only $80 a year and is a great moving map/EFB tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did anyone attend the meeting/seminar/whatever it was to listen in?

I left after 25 min. Blatant marketing. Garmin didn't show but Bendix-King was there. MyGoFlight was the sponsor - spent 5 minutes extoling the iPad. Then the "moderator" (AvConsumer editor) spent another 5 min extoling the iPad and the 4 companies who showed. The moderator asked the questions, I left after the first round of questions, don't think they got thru the 3 questions then open to the audience.

Wasted an hour of my life because it was in the far reaches of the Honda Pavillions where the workshops are held. Long walk for little useful info.

Got ya. After reading some of the posts over on the EAA forums. It seems ALLOT of folks are very disappointed with #OshKosh13 that attended.

Back