iPAD MOUNTS and ATP checkride

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hi. Although I read the posts from around November 2014 that came up from a POA Search, I am still confused about the best method for mounting my iPAD Air for my upcoming ATP check ride (2 weeks from now).

I have three mounts that I've used in my training:

1. This guy:

http://ipadyokemounts.com/cessna-yoke-mounts.html

2. A RAM yoke mount that actually doesn't block any of the essentials on the G1000. (Although, there is the "complete freedom of forward movement of the yoke issue" to deal with with this solution.)

3. A RAM side window (forward of the door post) suction cup cradle mount that can be angled any way I choose.

I prefer #3 because it is at eye level but there is a chance that I could see outside when I scan it -- boo hoo for me during a check ride (I think?).

I don't like 1 or 2 as when the yoke moves, I sort of have to twist my head if I'm in need of info, although in reality I want until I'm back in S&L to gather info. I guess I just don't like having the info, even for a few seconds, at an angle.

What words of wisdom exist to help me during the check ride? :dunno:I really would appreciate your comments. THANKS.

Last edited:
You might want to look into a leg strap, or rig one up. It'll let you glance at the iPad without the examiner being able to say you cheated or anything. And it's no different than a knee board just digital

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Agree w/ Catalo. I use a leg strap all of the time and find it totally adequate. For your check ride, you definitely need a backup if the examiner decides to kill your iPad, I recommend that you be prepared with a fully charged smartphone with adequate downloads for the area you're being tested in and,....if he decides to kill that too you should be able to use those things called windows and go where you need by VFR reference. You must have just finished training and should be on top of your game enough to cover this.

Agree w/ Catalo. I use a leg strap all of the time and find it totally adequate. For your check ride, you definitely need a backup if the examiner decides to kill your iPad, I recommend that you be prepared with a fully charged smartphone with adequate downloads for the area you're being tested in and,....if he decides to kill that too you should be able to use those things called windows and go where you need by VFR reference. You must have just finished training and should be on top of your game enough to cover this.

I had cataract surgery a few years ago, so my distant vision is great, but I need "readers" to get to my iPAD Air. During training, with a bit more to come, I've experimented with different mounts and know that I can't see my iPAD with either with or without my readers. I've got a few weeks to go and things haven't been all that bad so far with my experiments, but I'm looking to nail down ONE system and I don't know what I really like yet. So, that's why I'm reaching out to POA to see if there is something "super duper" that somebody likes.:idea:

<<I don't like 1 or 2 as when the yoke moves, I sort of have to twist my head if I'm in need of info, although in reality I want until I'm back in S&L to gather info. >>

I do the iPad Yoke Mounts (aka "this guy"). Tell me a little more. Most pilots don't have any problem with yoke movement because the yoke doesn't need to move that much. It's more a pressure thing. I'm especially interested in your comment about straight and level. If the turn is coordinated the yoke should be pretty neutral and so should your head, except for the small amount of movement to initiate and end the turn.

I would be happy to take the mount back for credit. I've had so few credits with over 1,200 mounts out there I just don't want you to feel stuck. Please e-mail me through the web site and we'll make that arrangement.

Fly with precision!

X2....

Use # 3 unless they have a problem with it. Unless totally anal you should be ok. Remember your going to fly with it that way in the real world....so pretty sure examiners will be fine with your setup. It's not cheating...unless u cheat. Examiners aren't dummies....if they think you were cheating they would let you know...they are watching you every step of the way.

Last edited:
I would go with the leg board,that way you won't have the tendency to look outside. What will you do if the examiner fails the I pad,

Hi. Although I read the posts from around November 2014 that came up from a POA Search, I am still confused about the best method for mounting my iPAD Air for my upcoming ATP check ride (2 weeks from now).

I have three mounts that I've used in my training:

1. This guy:

http://ipadyokemounts.com/cessna-yoke-mounts.html

2. A RAM yoke mount that actually doesn't block any of the essentials on the G1000. (Although, there is the "complete freedom of forward movement of the yoke issue" to deal with with this solution.)

3. A RAM side window (forward of the door post) suction cup cradle mount that can be angled any way I choose.

I prefer #3 because it is at eye level but there is a chance that I could see outside when I scan it -- boo hoo for me during a check ride (I think?).

I don't like 1 or 2 as when the yoke moves, I sort of have to twist my head if I'm in need of info, although in reality I want until I'm back in S&L to gather info. I guess I just don't like having the info, even for a few seconds, at an angle.

What words of wisdom exist to help me during the check ride? :dunno:I really would appreciate your comments. THANKS.

Well will wonders never cease. The first mount mentioned above actually worked the best. My concern over head movement did not come to pass. The ram mounts were not that easy to use, but mount no. 1 was. I recommend going to that website and looking at the how to video to see how simple it is to use. I eat my words. :yikes:

Back