Ipad Mini ?

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
Anyone using an Ipad Mini with Foreflight ? Im thinking of getting a Mini for Christmas.

Yes I've been a good boy this year.

Yes. I think it is much better than the larger ipad in terms of usability. I'm finally satisfied with the ipad mini.

Wife now has the big ipad.

I also use Foreflight for planning etc. It runs just fine on the mini.

Yes. I think it is much better than the larger ipad in terms of usability. I'm finally satisfied with the ipad mini.

Wife now has the big ipad.

I also use Foreflight for planning etc. It runs just fine on the mini.

Does FF's license let you have it on a Mini and a regular iPad, or is just an iPhone and iPad?

I just bought an iPad mini tonight to replace my iPad 2 which I plan on selling. The mini is perfectly sized and easier to travel with on the road and in the cockpit. Foreflight and JeppTC work great on both devices.

I won a Mini from Gold Seal and ForPilotsOnly.com and just picked it up at the Post Office on Friday. I like it, though for my aging eyes the fonts can be a little hard to read without cheaters. Unfortunately, ForeFlight doesn't allow you to pinch & zoom on the dialog boxes.

OTOH, the iPad2 was a little large in the cockpit of the 182 and Bonanza. Not totally unwieldy, just a little cumbersome at times. The iPad Mini looks like it should work a lot better. Just need to pick up the appropriate mount connectors!

The iPad Mini looks like it should work a lot better. Just need to pick up the appropriate mount connectors!

I'm hoping you'll consider something like this to mount your iPad mini in the airplane:

ipad-mini-page-600.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping you'll consider something like this one:

ipad-mini-page-600.jpg

Certainly a potential solution! I already have the mount and extension, and would just need the Navigator itself. Unfortunately, "The iPro Navigator begins shipping in early February, 2013." But I don't know how many flights I'll be taking between now and then. I just canceled my first flight of the season for potential ice tonight!

Certainly a potential solution! I already have the mount and extension, and would just need the Navigator itself.

Exactly. It comes with a RAM ball adapter already attached so you can hook right to it with your existing mounting hardware.

Flew with the iPad mini today in the CJ3 and the Cirrus I fly. It's really a perfect size and fits well in both cockpits. Charts are easily readable and the device is very convenient to secure.

And it comes with a great tv commercial too.

My business partners surprised me with an iPad Mini, yesterday. I have been on the fence about which one to get to replace my iPad 2, but I guess this makes that decision easier. I haven't flown with it yet, but my first impression is that ForeFlight looks good. Reading text is not bad, but eventually my almost 50 year old eyes will be straining a bit (I don't, yet use reading glasses). I would say that this is definitely the right size for taking in the plane. I am still not sure about all the other stuff I use it for (everything from PoA to note taking for work, not to mention occasional videos and stuff).

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new iPad4 64GB Verizon LTE to replace my iPad2 which a fellow POAer purchased. I originally was going to do the mini, but after looking at it decided there wasn't enough there to justify a change. If they'd put either the retina display or the A6 processor in it I would have bought it. As it stands I love the display on the 4 and the A6 makes it feel pretty snappy. I have my Nexus 7 for smaller cockpits where space is tight...and as a backup. Both are always charged and have current charts.

Last edited:
I looked at the mini but decided my old eyes need a bigger screen.
Can't wait to get my Ipad from the nice person I bought it from. Besides it's usually Mamma and me in the cockpit, the Ipad will give her something to do.

Can't wait to get my Ipad from the nice person I bought it from. Besides it's usually Mamma and me in the cockpit, the Ipad will give her something to do.

It's all ready for you and will be hand-delivered on the 4th! :thumbsup:

I had similar concerns, but once I sat in the airplane with the mini on the yoke, it was not a problem. Even with glasses, in my lap the mini was too small. But hanging it on the yoke brings it closer and is comfortable (for me) to read easily.

Does FF's license let you have it on a Mini and a regular iPad, or is just an iPhone and iPad?

Not 100% sure of this, but Apple sets the rules on how many devices an application can legally be installed on. I think each account can be on up to 5 devices, and any app can be installed on those 5 devices.

There might be some rules against multiple families sharing an account or something, thus breaking Apples terms of use (and in doing so breaking ForeFlights), but not sure about that.

I believe the FF license allows installation on two devices simultaneously. One of these can be an iPad mini.

I believe the FF license allows installation on two devices simultaneously. One of these can be an iPad mini.

Ok, you made me look it up :). I don't see in there where it can only be on two. If I own an iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, and iPod touch, I think I can have it on all 4.

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. a. This License allows you to install and use the Software on the devices you own and control and as permitted by the Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms of Service."

http://www.foreflight.com/eula

They recently told me it could be an iPad, an iPhone, a mini plus a backup iPad. I thought that was pretty generous.

My understanding after talking to them was he didn't really care how many devices so long as they were all mine.

Not 100% sure of this, but Apple sets the rules on how many devices an application can legally be installed on. I think each account can be on up to 5 devices, and any app can be installed on those 5 devices.
Not really true actually. Foreflight sells itself as a "Free" application that then has a paid subscription add-on. So Apple's licensing scheme doesn't apply as it applies to the application itself which is free..not the subscription.

Foreflight comes up with their own terms for that subscription. This is why a lot of these apps are "free" but you pay for the subscription. So they can license as they see fit and mostly so that they can come up with a reoccurring revenue model.

Here are some new images showing an iPad mini in the cockpit with the iPro Navigator mount. The aircraft is a Cessna 182:

pilot-eye-2.jpg

I got one for Christmas from my law partner. Amazingly I cannot find a mount for it in stock anywhere now. So even though I had the iPad Mini and ForeFlight installed on it I'm not using it in the airplane on Friday because I can't find a way to mount it. The company that I'm buying it from is the same company that shows it in stock on Amazon, yet, it's not in stock. Calling around to all of the usual suspects, no one has it in stock.

I'm looking forward to being able to yoke mount it in landscape mode and then go back to using my old favorite pair of sunglasses, which are polarized.

I got one for Christmas from my law partner. Amazingly I cannot find a mount for it in stock anywhere now. So even though I had the iPad Mini and ForeFlight installed on it I'm not using it in the airplane on Friday because I can't find a way to mount it. The company that I'm buying it from is the same company that shows it in stock on Amazon, yet, it's not in stock. Calling around to all of the usual suspects, no one has it in stock.

I'm looking forward to being able to yoke mount it in landscape mode and then go back to using my old favorite pair of sunglasses, which are polarized.

I was going to shout "RAM MOUNT" then noticed they have a release date in February for their mini cradles. Holy project fast tracking fail batman!

The issue with getting new mini mounts in stock is the molding process itself. Steel molds have to be built first. These cost $30K-$50K and take 8 to 10 weeks to build. Once the molds are built, it typically takes another 1 to 2 weeks to fine tune them and start producing product.

If companies mold their products in China (many do to save money), that adds another 2-3 weeks to the process since samples have to be shipped and approved, followed by shipment of the actual product. ForPilotsOnly.com does it's molding in the USA so that's one hurdle we don't have to deal with.

Taken together, this is why you'll see the bulk of new products for the mini appearing in February and March.

GPS City and RAM show the spider universals currently available but when you order them you get an email telling you that they are back ordered. Mypilotstore, Spruce, etc - plus the main line GPS - all out. Amazon shows stock on the item but if you order it you get the same out of stock email since its the same company - GPS City - who sells the stuff.

I don't want the custom iPad mini one - I just want the RAM X cradle - all the online places are out - they show stock but if you try to order them you get a back order message - which is not the way to bait and switch the customer - if you say you have stock you need to have stock. If I could find it locally in a store I'd buy it - but there are no stores for this kind of thing anymore - even in Los Angeles. . .

its really annoying as a customer - and will drive me away from doing business with them in the future.

Last edited:
Back