iPad Mini v Samsung Tab2 7"

ryoung99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
So I bought a Samsung Tab2 as a backup to my iPad Mini. I have subscriptions to Foreflight and Pilot.

Now that I have them both, I can say without question that I think the Samsung is horrible. They are clunky, the internal GPS did not perform as well as the iPad mini. It is not as easy to navigate, the list goes on and on. Maybe being an early iPad buyer/user has spoiled me, but I have been less than impressed with the Samsung.

To be honest, I do not want the thing, but I am not sure what to do with it. Even my 3 year old turns up her nose and grabs her iPad1 instead.

I am not writing this to blast the unit, but to seek some advice if any others have had the same issues and over come them. My wife has the iPad3 that she never uses, while I think it is way to big for the cockpit of a Grumman Tiger, I really think it would be better as a back-up for me than the Samsung. Given the plane has a 430 in the dash (soon to be a 650 or 750) I probably do not need that level of redundancy anyways (just to sit in a flight bag and add weight).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

I fly a Cheetah and on a semi-related note, where do you mount the mini in the cockpit? I have an iPad 2 with FF, but due to its size I mount it on the right side of the cockpit on the flat plexi in front of the cannopy using a RAM suction cup. It works well there, but I'd prefer not to reach across the cabin to change views etc...

Is the mini small enough to mount on the pilot's side or do you just keep it free in your lap?

Steve,

Have you seen the Warner Mounts? The attach to the windshield frame and keep everything somewhat out of the way. I have not tried it with the iPad, I will do so this weekend and let you know.

You can mount the mini either on the Warner mount or on a yoke mount. Using the RAM roller mount it works just fine.

BJC, LOL, There is a guy at my office that is going to try to clean up all the un-needed stuff on it, improve the OS and see if that helps. If not, I told him he could have it. Given I have a 430 in the dash and an old sectional in the side pocket, I am not sure if I even need that level of redundancy.

After many attempts, I have given up on the Samsung, bought another iPad mini. I am trading the Samsung for a case of Mexican Coca Cola, and I feel like I am ripping him off.

I fly a Cheetah and on a semi-related note, where do you mount the mini in the cockpit? I have an iPad 2 with FF, but due to its size I mount it on the right side of the cockpit on the flat plexi in front of the cannopy using a RAM suction cup. It works well there, but I'd prefer not to reach across the cabin to change views etc...

Is the mini small enough to mount on the pilot's side or do you just keep it free in your lap?

I use this kneeboard, that is built for it. There is plenty of room for it in my Cherokee.

http://www.forpilotsonly.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back