Ipad Mini 4 for Flying

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I am going to go with the ipad mini 4 (though I have been anti apple for years) and use it for flying only. Since 32 Gig isn't an option anymore, guess I will have to go with the 64, just don't want to come up short. I plan to get an external GPS receiver, though I am still on the fence whether or not to get the cellular model so I can have a built in GPS receiver as a back up. Just not sure if it's worth the extra $120
If you keep it for 3 years, that comes to $3.33/month. That is less than 1 gallon of Avgas/month. At 10 gph, that comes to ~6 minutes of flying per month.

So for the next question, what kneeboard do y'all suggest? Gotta have one with a clipboard for a paper tablet too.

I've found the internal is no where near as accurate at my 150 receiver - at times I fly close to some restricted and class B airspace, I like to know that with my receiver I'm within 15 feet of where my GPS says I am.

I don't think I've ever seen less than single digit accuracy, which puts me within a wingspan. I give restricted airspace a bit more berth than that.

I have been wondering about Seattle Avionics FlyQ and how that compares with Foreflight, WingX, Garmin and others. Maybe Aviation Consumer will do a comparison one of these days.

I have been wondering about Seattle Avionics FlyQ and how that compares with Foreflight, WingX, Garmin and others. Maybe Aviation Consumer will do a comparison one of these days.

Now is a good time to try it. They have a 30 day free trial. I tried it earlier this year and really liked it. I was comparing it against FF, but I was preparing for my check ride at the same time, so I didn't have time to do a fair comparison. Things that I did like was a split screen setting and a toggle to larger print (for those over 40 eyes).

BTW this is my first post. I've been lurking for awhile and really enjoy the site.

I decided to go the Android route with Garmin Pilot. I've been totally satisfied with it. Several fellow pilots I know have experience their iPads going dark during flight. I've never had an issue with mine. I use the external GPS transmitter for additional signal robustness and all is good. I recently upgraded my non-cellular Nexus 7 to a slightly larger Android sold by AT&T so I could get real time weather. We helo guys fly pretty low, so we can usually maintain GPS lock in flight.

Last edited:
Welcome, Emsley.

I just read a review by a guy I highly respect on another site. He said he had used both Foreflight and FlyQ on his iPad in quite a bit of IFR flying, and much, much preferred FlyQ I am still flying around with a Garmin 196, but as soon as I get an iPad, I think I will try FlyQ. Seattle Avionics has been the in business or a long time and I figure they know what they are doing.

It's probably my second favorite after ForeFlight.

Welcome, Emsley.

I just read a review by a guy I highly respect on another site. He said he had used both Foreflight and FlyQ on his iPad in quite a bit of IFR flying, and much, much preferred FlyQ I am still flying around with a Garmin 196, but as soon as I get an iPad, I think I will try FlyQ. Seattle Avionics has been the in business or a long time and I figure they know what they are doing.

What site, I'm interested in reading it. Thanks

Tony, I'd stick with Foreflight and keep your new Ipad without other unnecessary apps on it. I'd get a good well known power bank and a Lifeproof case. I don't see the need for an external GPS Since the Cell capable Ipads have a really good fix on them.

Here is my $0.02 and I hope it helps you.

1. Get a lifeproof case. These things are waterproof and greatly help with falls in the cockpit during un-expected phases of flight. Also, if your Ipad is running hot it can shutdown as a safety mechanism to prevent damage to itself. I once left my ipad on the dash in F.L. while sightseeing and had to resort to pilotage with my Charts torward the end of the flight without warning. Not fun. The lifeproof case can help prevent this.

2. I often run my brightness high and although the battery life with Ipad is superb I keep a nice usb power bank with me at all times.

3. Don't jump on the latest system updates. The updates can un-intentionally cause Foreflight to act up and may cause a problem mid-flight.

4. Keep foreflight up to date. This speaks for itself.

5. Did you know you can file and activate VFR flight plans with foreflight? It's a good reason to have a small data plan.

That's what I find helps me. I always have my Ipad on my lap when I fly. Also, I hope you like your new Ipad. I find them to be very stable.

Edit: I don't recommend and external keyboard. Also, I attach my Ipad by it's lifeproof case to the top of my clip on my kneeboard.

Last edited:
Dont follow the herd, try them all and decide for you, not the flock.

So for the next question, what kneeboard do y'all suggest? Gotta have one with a clipboard for a paper tablet too.

I bought some fancy thing many many years ago but nowadays if it got lost I'd just get a clipboard from the office supply store. Really no difference.

I have had the mini 4 wifi (no cellular) and Stratus 2S for about 2 weeks now. I use a Ram yoke mount in a Piper Warrior and the iPad does not block any instrument. I don't use a separate checklist app but create my own in PDF and display them in the Documents section of Foreflight. Situational awareness is fantastic, especially as my home airport, a class D, is under a class B and surrounded by 2 class C's and 2 other class D's. Traffic is nice, thanks for the many ABS-B Out equipped aircraft flying nearby in this busy airspace.

Get a mini 4. You won't be disappoinnted. And I would recommend a Stratus if you can afford it.

I have been wondering about Seattle Avionics FlyQ and how that compares with Foreflight, WingX, Garmin and others.

I have used Seattle Avionics' other "Voyager" product on the PC. Terrific!!!

If they had an Android-based one, it would be a no-brainer with Android's huge memories and dual-processor performance, AND an SD card slot. But they don't and since I will have to purchase an IPad, I need to see what the others have to offer.

Ah, choices, choices, choices.... :confused:

Get a mini 4. You won't be disappoinnted. And I would recommend a Stratus if you can afford it.

Which mount are you using for the iPad Mini 4 since they all seem geared to the 2 & 3? I just moved from an iPad 3 to an iPad Mini 4.

Mini mounted on RAM suction cup mount on left window of the 182 -- taken with the seat way back just to get it all in the frame, so it really doesn't block that much when you're moved forward where you normally sit.

21b12710c0bdc3fa82b1ccaac4d68fa2.jpg

808b1692b061103cac2d442ea7c493fa.jpg

By the way don't know if you can see it but that's the generic "X" spring loaded mount for tablets from RAM. I had the moulded one for the old original iPad 2 and it was a pain if you had a cover on the old iPad and of course Apple keeps changing the sizes so mount number two went to the X thing.

Back