Ipad kneepad or mount?

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
I want to start using my iPad and ForeFlight in the cockpit.

Currently flying a rental 172.

Should I get a kneepad that allows me to use the iPad on my lap, or a device that mounts it to the aircraft, like a suction cup or yoke mount?

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

I use a yoke mount for my iPad mini in the Warrior/Archer I rent and have been happy with it. I found my iPad Air to be a little to large to have on the yoke.

I use a yoke mount for my iPad mini in C172 and like it a lot... I think mounting it on the yoke minimizes the amount of time spent not looking outside ;)

Further information: I have a regular size iPad 2. Would prefer not to have to go out and buy another iPad just for Aviation use.

I started with a kneeboard but got in a club 172 with upgraded seats with no verticle adjustment. The seats are tall leaving little room for things on your knees/thighs. So, I got the suction mount. I would mount the full sized iPad on the opposite side of the cockpit. (well within reach in a 172)

Then when doing Instrument rating I needed it closer for the approach plates so I got the yoke mount. This seems to be the best fit so far. It's close, basically centered with your panel so the visual travel is minimal.

Duct tape?

Don

This is one of the high wing vs low wing vs. chevy vs. ford vs. great taste vs. less filling debates.

Essentially, you need to find what works best for your way of flying.

And the devices/solutions you can purchase for this are just as diverse as the reasons for choosing that style. Sometimes design of aircraft can make the choice for you (as in, suction cup might not work, but yoke or kneeboard would).

For me, I've been using the Ram X-mount suction cup solution for my iPad Mini Retina. Works great, easily positioned so it's not blocking anything key instruments. Location in the 1975 C182P is the left windscreen, just in front of the door pillar.

But lately, I've seen some quality kneeboard iPad holder hybrids that have me curious.

I want to start using my iPad and ForeFlight in the cockpit.

Currently flying a rental 172.

Should I get a kneepad that allows me to use the iPad on my lap, or a device that mounts it to the aircraft, like a suction cup or yoke mount?
Whichever you like. Very much a matter of personal preference. I've done on my lap (no kneeboard), on a dedicated kneeboard, and on a yoke mount.

The primary reasons I ultimately settled on a yoke mount was to have approach charts in my line of sight when flying IFR. When I flew mostly VFR I really liked naked on my lap, closing the cover and putting between the seats when not actively using it (you know, like paper charts but without the folding).

If it helps any, I've used these set-ups in 172, PA-28, Mooney and Bonanza.

mine is held in place by my wife's hands in the co-pilots seat or resting in the copilots seat if she's unavailable. iPad is too big to yoke mount and clunky as a knee board. It's great for flight planning, get a dedicated aviation GPS for following a magenta line.

Opinions will vary, but mine is that the full-sized iPad is overly large for yoke mounting. Some people will disagree but I've tried it and didn't like it. I carry two iPads - a mini on the yoke, and an Air in a kneeboard for backup. The mini on the yoke works fantastic.

I don't rent, but I use a RAM yoke mount for my full size iPad. I don't think it blocks anything important. It is nice to have it front and center and I believe it is required to be mounted in order to use it for your sole source of plates when IFR.

I have a full size iPad 3 (Retina). It is too big for the yoke so it sits in the passenger's lap or on the seat. I fly with a 8.5x11 clipboard on my lap. The backside has the fuzzy velcro stuff so it doesn't slide around.

I have a full sized android tablet and used to just put it between the seats like a paper chart as that is what I used it for. I got a ADSB receiver and realized I wanted to see it all the time for traffic and so got a RAM mount for the copilots yoke. I can see it enough and it does not bloke anything vital for me.

I've always advised against mounting/strapping stuff to the yoke or your leg.

I got a belkin case for $20, had some elastic stitched onto it, got some legal pads and bada bing. It just sits on my lap, it's a ruff canvas so it doesn't really move.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was on a commercial flight and the guy next to me actually had one of these he was carrying around (was the VP of Marketing). I especially liked being able to have a notepad and the iPad together. I've ordered it, but haven't been able to take it out yet:

http://youtu.be/goFqzjkdfUY

I have an iPad 2, and have so far not liked any mount or kneeboard contraption. The mini looks perfect for aviation, but I can't justify a second iPad just for flying.

I've been happy looking at it when needed, then setting it aside when not in use.

In my experience, the higher the mount the better.

Ideally I like to be able to just glance to the side or down a little, rather than the relatively large head/eye movement required to look down at my lap.

It also enhanced the ability to see traffic, by keeping it in my peripheral view.

For all those reasons, I came up with a 2-suction cup window mount for the iPad Mini in my Sky Arrow.

12926639325_89792065d8_z.jpg

Last edited:
Mount ,like to keep my head in the game,also helps with the scan,on approach.

I mount my ipad, and have a paper pad on my knee for notes.

In my experience, the higher the mount the better.

Ideally I like to be able to just glance to the side or down a little, rather than the relatively large head/eye movement required to look down at my lap.

It also enhanced the ability to see traffic, by keeping it in my peripheral view.

For all those reasons, I came up with a 2-suction cup window mount for the iPad Mini in my Sky Arrow.

+1 for suction mounts high enough to avoid head down time. I have the leg strap for mine but have only used it while instructing.

Also have yoke mount which works in some planes, but still prefect mounted higher.

I have an iPad 2 mounted on a Ram yoke mount in my Cherokee and love it. The mount is user configurable. The trick is taking the mount apart and playing with the configuration to find the optimum setup for your plane. I did not like having my iPad on my knee or loose in the plane. I love having it right in front of me on the yoke.

I don't rent, but I use a RAM yoke mount for my full size iPad. I don't think it blocks anything important. It is nice to have it front and center and I believe it is required to be mounted in order to use it for your sole source of plates when IFR.
...and that belief is based on...?

For those of you with yoke mounts, do you ever find it hard to read in turbulent conditions when you are constantly moving the yoke to maintain heading and altitude? I tried a full size on a knee board the other day and found it got in the way too much in my little Grumman. I like the yoke option, just concerned about reading it when I am manipulating the controls.

Get a heading bug and an altitude bug. Put all the ATC instructions into your equipment. Freqs go into the radio, altitude into the alt bug, heading into the heading bug, squawk code into the transponder. I used stickies and a small carboard mini legal pad like the photo above.

You'll have to try things. See what you like. Anyway you do it will be a hassle.

The ideal gizmo would be to speak it while pushing a button, and the gizmo writes it down and displays it on a screen. Sort of a machine you can dictate to. But Ive never heard of one of those. Closest thing to that Ive ever had would be a copilot.

I have an iPad mini and I just rest it on my lap. It works great- its not attached so if I need to move it around or closer to my eyes to see frequencies I just move it closer. I don't have any intentions of mounting it at all.

For those of you with yoke mounts, do you ever find it hard to read in turbulent conditions when you are constantly moving the yoke to maintain heading and altitude? I tried a full size on a knee board the other day and found it got in the way too much in my little Grumman. I like the yoke option, just concerned about reading it when I am manipulating the controls.

I use my mini on the yoke and have no problems reading it, even in the bumps of IMC. One thing to remember, you aren't going to be staring at the thing for long periods of time any more than you'd stare at a paper chart in your lap. Yes, the iPad moves around with the yoke, but I'm not looking at it during maneuvering flight.

I have an iPad mini and I just rest it on my lap. It works great- its not attached so if I need to move it around or closer to my eyes to see frequencies I just move it closer. I don't have any intentions of mounting it at all.

I'm sure you know the risks and have accepted them.

But unsecured items in the cockpit can become projectiles, and can jam controls, knock switches on or off, or at the very least be a huge distraction as you try to reel them in.

Says the guy who's prior posted photo shows an iPhone in his lap!

Last edited:
This may have just been in the OpSpecs for a couple of carriers I'm familiar with, but I >think< iPad use in 121 and 135 operations requires the iPad be secured by a kneeboard or mount of some type. We don't have to do it Part 91, but I really think it's a good idea.

Back