iPad GPS

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
For those of you that use an iPad with the internal GPS, and that fly a high wing metal plane (basically a Cessna), do any of you ever have issues with reception?

Thanks!

Yes. Get a ADS-B antenna if you are going to use it for IFR

I have not had any issues with my iPad mini.

Haven't experienced any problems with the IPad Air.

On occasion, maybe 3-5% of the time I might lose the GPS.
I've graduated to an iPad Air 2 with no internal GPS and use the Bad Elf Pro.

My plan was to use the internal GPS for VFR at the moment. If I go IFR later, I will get one of the ADSB-in units.

Yes. Get a ADS-B antenna if you are going to use it for IFR

OK ... I haven't even started instrument training yet ... but I didn't think you could use the iPad to fly IFR. I thought it had to be a specially approved, panel-mounted GPS to be legal. Am I misunderstanding?

OK ... I haven't even started instrument training yet ... but I didn't think you could use the iPad to fly IFR. I thought it had to be a specially approved, panel-mounted GPS to be legal. Am I misunderstanding?

You can't use it as a primary means of navigation but you can use it for additional info...

You can't use it as a primary means of navigation but you can use it for additional info...

You use it for charts, Enroute and approach, weather, notams, AF/D information, not navigation.

Never had an issue with my Samsung phone or tablet in a Cessna.

Can't say metal high wing but my iPad 2 w/Foreflight in an AERONCA Chief has performed flawlessly insofar as the GPS function thus far. I'm using the iPad with a Thigh mount so no optimum unit position either. Other posters have already pointed out that this configuration is not legal for navigation purposes. Situational Awareness includes knowing where you are with respect to the things you can see out of the window is my comment. You are either VFR or not.

The only equipment problem I have had was after leaving the iPad in the cockpit with the sun shining on it. It simply refused to turn on. Everyone ought to know better than that ! It recovered in about 10 minutes or so when simply placed in the shade.

Front seat no problem, rear seat, it can be intermittent especially in turns.

I've had no issues with the internal GPS on my iPad mini 2, even had 5m accuracy on a commercial flight home at 33,000...window seat of course

Sounds like the internal GPS will work for me. I also like the idea of getting free TMobile data with it. It isn't much, but plenty to keep up with weather at the airport if they don't have wifi.

I'll try the free trials of both iFly and Foreflight and pick the best.

Anyone use the Sennheiser app for flight?

TJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the internal GPS will work for me. I also like the idea of getting free TMobile data with it. It isn't much, but plenty to keep up with weather at the airport if they don't have wifi.

I'll try the free trials of both iFly and Foreflight and pick the best.

No issues with my Air in a 172. I also purchased the TMobile version and love the mobile data, even though service is sometimes lacking compared to Verizon. I had an external gps for a while but sold it because it was a hassle to keep charged, haul around, etc and the internal gps seems to work just fine for my needs. I use Foreflight and think it is worth every penny, I even upgraded to pro.

Back