iPad Frustration

Sell the iPad and get the iFly 720 from Adventure Pilot - you can read that in direct sunlight in an open cockpit.

I was actually thinking about blacking out the cabin windows and installing a periscope.

I was actually thinking about blacking out the cabin windows and installing a periscope.

Block out the front window with a fuel tank - at least you get more range that way.
plane.gif

...wanted to thank everyone for the help here. For a quick update, I:

-Added a Mediadevil anit-glare screen cover
-Took the existing screen cover off of the Otterbox
-Wore a darker shirt
-Dumped Foreflight and started using Garmin Pilot App

After a test flight, the first two items made a huge difference. I can actually use the iPad in the airplane now (on a yoke mount). I didn't realize how reflective the otterbox screen cover is, but it's unreadable with it on. The darker shirt makes it slightly more readable, but it isn't required.

I've been using Foreflight for a while, and, while I love it for pre-flight planning, the Garmin Pilot app is awesomely simple for use in-flight.

Thanks again, and I hope this helps somebody else in the future.

One thing I didn't see mentioned. Make sure the brightness is on full.:)

Thanks, yes...that too. To be fair to myself, turning the brightness all the way up (in Foreflight -- iPad was already all the way up) didn't make a bit of difference. I still couldn't read the darn thing without a few other changes.

Happy to be able to use it now.

...wanted to thank everyone for the help here. For a quick update, I:

-Added a Mediadevil anit-glare screen cover
-Took the existing screen cover off of the Otterbox
-Wore a darker shirt
-Dumped Foreflight and started using Garmin Pilot App

After a test flight, the first two items made a huge difference. I can actually use the iPad in the airplane now (on a yoke mount). I didn't realize how reflective the otterbox screen cover is, but it's unreadable with it on. The darker shirt makes it slightly more readable, but it isn't required.

I've been using Foreflight for a while, and, while I love it for pre-flight planning, the Garmin Pilot app is awesomely simple for use in-flight.

Thanks again, and I hope this helps somebody else in the future.

Could the anti-glare screen be applied over the existing otterbox screen?

I popped the otterbox screen out of the case and cleaned off any glue that was left. So, I've still got the otterbox sans screen. Works great!!

Sure, if trimmed to fit properly.

I would imagine that each layer of plastic will diminish resolution ever-so-slightly.

I'm going to use mine with the Otterbox screen in place for now (just put my iPad Mini Retina in its Otterbox), but also ordered a Moshi AG which arrives tomorrow. First time I use it in the plane the Otterbox screen will probably be history.

Pirep (sort of)...

I finally went ahead and poked out the Otterbox screen protector and installed the Moshi AG.

Good news: it REALLY cuts down on glare and reflections.

Bad news: it definitely "softens" the sharpness of the retina screen on the new Mini.

When you scroll, it's like scrolling behind a layer of almost transparent wax paper - subtle, but it degrades the experience in a small way. Probably unavoidable if you really want to cut glare.

Good news: when I poked out the Otterbox screen it came out intact with a tiny bit of adhesive residue on the edges. As such, it was easy to remove the Moshi and put the stock screen protector back in place.

So, for now my MO will be to use the stock Otterbox screen protector around the house which, truth be told, is at least 95% of its use. Then, before I head out on a trip, I'll stick the Moshi back on. A minor inconvenience, but less than 5 minutes and worth it, I think. If and when my Otterbox screen gets scratched up, I'll just spring for the Moshi "Crystal Clear" screen protector and just swap those.

Well, I have a high wing, but with a lot of glass (huge windows and windshield, plus skylight) and wanted to get some more readability from my gen 3 iPad. I put the MediaDevil screen protector on it. I hated it. I hate the fuzziness the textured covers add to text and images, and at oblique sun angles it becomes opaque and unreadable (rare situation, but it can happen).

I'll just live with the glare, which granted in my airplane might not be as bad as some others.

I look at it this way - if I can see the ipad well, its either nighttime or cloudy - and if its cloudy thats generally IFR and when I might actually need to use it for back up situational awareness [:D :D]

If it is virtually unreadable from glare, then its sunny, VFR and I don't really need charts. . . . I'm never navigating using the iPad anyway, since I have a 530, and thats daylight readable - so it is kind of a no harm no foul kind of situation . . .

That said, the Comanche has a great roof line - meaning you don't get alot of glare - I do get reflections off my shirts - but if you just change the angle of the iPad you can usually get rid of reflections off your shirt . . ..

I did my first little cross-country flight with my new iPad Mini Retina today to Blairsville, GA to get my transponder recertified.

The iPad Mini mount I described earlier is going to work out (coming back into Copperhill, TN):

11343698756_d54e4be531_c.jpg

Plus a short video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqp67_dyNdU&feature=youtu.be

That's the stock Otterbox screen protector, which you can see is highly reflective.

Next time up I'll try it with the Moshi AG and report back.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm lucky to live in an absolutely gorgeous part of the country?

Last edited:
That's a lot of canopy and a lot of reflections! Must be a hoot at night over city lights.

That's a lot of canopy and a lot of reflections! Must be a hoot at night over city lights.

Flying now sans medical and with Sport Pilot limitations, that's not really a factor.

I wear a dark colored shirt or jacket to minimize the daytime reflections. The photo makes it seem worse than it is - the mind kind of filters it out.

But the couple times I did fly at night, the glare was absolutely horrible, with no way to dim the warning lights (for boost pump and landing light) and the reflections from the whole panel making it very hard to see. If I ever do night flying again, I would have to construct some sort of glare shield extension - maybe out of cove base or something similar.

Is that a fish-eye lens, or a fish-eye CANOPY . . ?

Fortunately, the canopy is relatively optically correct.

That was actually an unintentional GoPro still. In futzing with the menus I accidentally left it on still mode. Good news is that's a pretty nice shot. Bad news is that I did not get the video I had planned!

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a good shot, FE!
Didn't you used to fly skydivers at Cedartown?

Griffin makes a nice durable rubber case. Great for flying. Once left my iPad on the tail and taxied out before realizing it wasn't in the cockpit. Recovered on the taxiway, no damage and am typing on it right now. Got it at best buy. Good visibility any time of day.

Back