Ipad doesn't mean paperless !

You need a better internet connection. The entire US VFR (mosaic of sectionals and tacs), IFR LO's, and georeferenced terminal procedures doesn't take over an hour on mine.

LOL. "He who dies with the most bandwidth, wins."

Just ask LightSquared.

You need a better internet connection. The entire US VFR (mosaic of sectionals and tacs), IFR LO's, and georeferenced terminal procedures doesn't take over an hour on mine.
A faster connection might be nice to have, but I don't need it enough to pay that much more. Also, I'm often updating in hotels, and their connections aren't the fastest in the world, either. Usually what I do is start it before I go to bed, and it's long done when I get up in the morning. In that situation, the difference between one hour and even six hours is nonexistent. Point is that the download times are reasonable on pretty much any connection since it operates autonomously once you hit the "Download" button.

I've done many of the same things Lance has over the years; tried one system after another and wound up purchasing FAA charts for individual trips because I was going different places and didn't want to pay for and maintain national charts. I'm now on I-Pad and love it. I can get the charts I need and surrounding states in case I must divert. I can even change charts anytime I'm on the ground with an internet connection if there was a major change in plans.

Fltplan.com offers charts and plats for Android which can also be a back up. I have a 430 and 530 with current DBs. I still print plates for the departure and arrival airport along with DPs and STARs just to have them, but I've never HAD to use them.

Best,

Dave

..or the time the Buffalo FSDO said that every leg of a student cross country had to be at least 50 NM to count... or...
...or Richmond and the right side brakes for CFI tests, or the one in South Florida with yoke-clamp GPS mounts, or...

...the list is endless. Pulling the chain of some schmo answering questions online isn't going to even scratch the surface. The problem is deep and pervasive, and will require a major change at the top to fix.

The problem is deep and pervasive, and will require a major change at the top to fix.

And those don't happen without very large groups of "customers" screaming. Nothing from AOPA. Nothing from EAA. Nothing from NBAA.

Nothing *official* complaining about the poor service lately, from anyone.

Apparently they're all too scared of something?

What they should be scared of -- is all of us dropping our memberships en masse. But no one's calling for that, either.

Sigh.

What they should be scared of -- is all of us dropping our memberships en masse. But no one's calling for that, either.

I have an idea . . . Occupy Frederick!

And those don't happen without very large groups of "customers" screaming. Nothing from AOPA. Nothing from EAA. Nothing from NBAA.

Nothing *official* complaining about the poor service lately, from anyone.

Apparently they're all too scared of something?

Sigh.

No, government doesn't respond to "customers". Government responds to citizens.

To get a new culture at the FAA, two options:

First, fire everybody in the "management" ranks of the FAA up to and including the administrator. Bring a new Administrator who will foster the culture you want, and give him 10 years and a streamlined hiring process, so he can get "his" staff hired and doing things "his" way. Wait a while (6 years).

or

Get a new administrator, give him at least a ten-year term, and the ability to make personnel changes at his discretion (meaning, fire and replace anyone who doesn't get with the program). Have the "new culture" taught at OKC, and ruthlessly enforce it. Wait 8 or more years.

Rapid culture change in government, given the personnel regs, congressional meddling, and other factors, is practically impossible. It's hard enough in private-sector companies where leadership CAN manage personnel.

No, government doesn't respond to "customers". Government responds to citizens.

To get a new culture at the FAA, two options:

First, fire everybody in the "management" ranks of the FAA up to and including the administrator. Bring a new Administrator who will foster the culture you want, and give him 10 years and a streamlined hiring process, so he can get "his" staff hired and doing things "his" way. Wait a while (6 years).

or

Get a new administrator, give him at least a ten-year term, and the ability to make personnel changes at his discretion (meaning, fire and replace anyone who doesn't get with the program). Have the "new culture" taught at OKC, and ruthlessly enforce it. Wait 8 or more years.

Rapid culture change in government, given the personnel regs, congressional meddling, and other factors, is practically impossible. It's hard enough in private-sector companies where leadership CAN manage personnel.

Interestingly at last night's "Fireside Chat" with the FAA ATCT folks at KAPA, they praised the current Administrator for having changed the FAA's culture in a very positive way, including his being a pilot, and that they have a "'fess up and we'll look for a better/safer way to do it" culture now as compared to a punitive one.

The whole story of the new procedures at KAPA boils down to "Line up and wait" just cost your government $500,000... if you take it all the way down to its roots, which is entertaining, but I'll add the info to the other thread.

Interestingly at last night's "Fireside Chat" with the FAA ATCT folks at KAPA, they praised the current Administrator for having changed the FAA's culture in a very positive way, including his being a pilot, and that they have a "'fess up and we'll look for a better/safer way to do it" culture now as compared to a punitive one.

The whole story of the new procedures at KAPA boils down to "Line up and wait" just cost your government $500,000... if you take it all the way down to its roots, which is entertaining, but I'll add the info to the other thread.

Nate

gonna write a short article about the meeting & info in time for me to publish in the CPA newsletter? how about by Thurs pm?

gonna write a short article about the meeting & info in time for me to publish in the CPA newsletter? how about by Thurs pm?

Doubt it. I would want to check with the ATCT folks if they wanted it in writing that they "failed" their audit... I got the impression that's a lot more convoluted process inside the FAA than they were trying to cover, since we pilot's didn't need to see the sausage being made. :) I don't know that two days is enough to get the "story" right... they had handouts (you've seen it... the one you posted) that tried to show where the run-up areas were.

They also said they're still working on the phraseology of the ATIS. They don't like how "long" it is and they want it clear.

There was also other news... they're going to add edges to Runway 35L/17R in the Spring to keep from having to do mowing operations right up against the runway... so that runway is going to be closed for an extended period of time in the Spring also.

Construction on Taxiway Alpha, and a runway closed... it's going to be sporty at KAPA in the Spring.

That's true for controllers; it is not true for pilots. Outside of the special policies for airlines and ASRS submissions, if a pilot admits to something the FAA didn't know about already, the pilot eats a violation.

That's true for controllers; it is not true for pilots. Outside of the special policies for airlines and ASRS submissions, if a pilot admits to something the FAA didn't know about already, the pilot eats a violation.
It's far more nuanced than that.

Unfortunately, the problem with the nuance is that most of us are ill-equipped to decide when to fess up and when to shut up.

It's far more nuanced than that.

Unfortunately, the problem with the nuance is that most of us are ill-equipped to decide when to fess up and when to shut up.
My observation is that the dilemma to which you refer is more of an issue when the FAA already knows you screwed up rather than when you know you did something wrong but nobody else does.

My observation is that the dilemma to which you refer is more of an issue when the FAA already knows you screwed up rather than when you know you did something wrong but nobody else does.
Hmmm. I may have missed a post or two but I'm not sure what the dilemma would be if no one else knows. Other than filing an anonymous NASA report if it was an issue that would be valuable to report from a safety standpoint, why would you tell anyone in an official capacity. You might (hopefully will) get some training on the tasks that caused the problem, but why would you report it?

Sporty, eh? :rofl:

Yeah with all the taxiways goofed up and students doing laps on 35R/17L mixing it up with the jets both on the ground and in the air... And four new trainee controllers...

I suspect the LiveATC feed will be entertaining.

"Cessna XXX hold position, give way to the Challenger."

"Challenger XXX can you get your wingtip past that Cessna on your right?"

;) ;) ;)

Hmmm. I may have missed a post or two but I'm not sure what the dilemma would be if no one else knows. Other than filing an anonymous NASA report if it was an issue that would be valuable to report from a safety standpoint, why would you tell anyone in an official capacity. You might (hopefully will) get some training on the tasks that caused the problem, but why would you report it?
Exactly. Once the FAA knows what you did, there's not much to be gained by not "fess[ing] up" and potentially a lot to lose. OTOH, there's great risk in admitting that which the FAA does not yet know since most of us here don't have, for example, the protections air carrier pilots have under ASAP and the controllers have under current FAA policy. I just don't see much "nuancing" in that difference.

Back