iPad apps.. Which one do you like the best?

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
I know this is a loaded question but I'm directing my question to those of you that have experience with multiple
flight planning and enroute apps and can give me your feedback on which one you think is best.

I'm looking to buy an iPad mini or fullsize in the 64gb size range, but my confusion is with the apps themselves.

There is Foreflight, Garmin and JeppTC.

I have not been able to compare them side by side and was wondering which one is user-friendly and has the most
capabilities, especially when it comes to IFR and inflight use.

Is an external GPS chip a requirement? :dunno:

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
My favorites are more for my business, like chalkboard and noteworthy. I have for flight and use Dual blue tooth fo flying.
I ve not downloaded any books, except the bible.

This are so many, that I am sure you will pick ones that match your taste and likes.

There are actually a lot of threads on this. But I'll chime in. I use a full size Ipad with the internal GPS (3G enabled but no plan activated) with Foreflight.

I bought the Ipad specifically for that, but non-aviation related, the two other best apps for me are simply the built-in Exchange client for email, contacts and calendaring, and the browser for gratuitous POA posting while standing at the bar getting smashed on gin and tonics.

There are actually a lot of threads on this. But I'll chime in.
I guess I stink at using the search function because I did a search and only found discussions on iPad mini vs fullsize iPad. :dunno:
There was very little comparing the Aviation apps, which is what I'm looking for. :confused:

Search for ForeFlight and/or WingX or Garmin Pilot. There is lots of stuff. I personally prefer ForeFlight, but WingX has track up and split screen capability, which I would like. I think they all have a 30 day eval offering, so try them out. WingX is also more open platform for the ADS-B devices. ForeFlight is currently exclusive to Stratus and Garmin is exclusive to (surprise) the Garmin.

UPDATE: I've had my iPad mini for about a month now and I am happy to report that it is by far the best item that I have ever purchased for the cockpit.
I had no idea how handy it would be and what a fantastic tool for the cockpit it has become, I know now that I will never ever fly without one.

UPDATE: I've had my iPad mini for about a month now and I am happy to report that it is by far the best item that I have ever purchased for the cockpit.
I had no idea how handy it would be and what a fantastic tool for the cockpit it has become, I know now that I will never ever fly without one.

Well.....how would you answer your OP then?

I like FlightGuide and FltPlan (the latter is totally free).

Welcome to the club!

Checkout FlyQ EFB. It has some nice features, but a bit more speedy than FF or GP.

I've been using FF on a full size iPad. Recent got the knee pad for it. Would not leave home without it.

Thanks Loren.

Checkout FlyQ EFB. It has some nice features, but a bit more speedy than FF or GP.
I played with FlyQ on my iPhone and by the time I got my iPad my free subscription had expired for FlyQ and their subscription fee seems to be quite a bit higher than FF.
Hopefully they will have some of these vendors present at Sun 'n Fun so that I can better compare them. :yesnod:

Back