iPad Air2 repair options

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Karen got an iPad Air2 for her birthday in January.

Last week, she took it to the hangar with me and set it on a motorcycle seat.

When I started up the Sky Arrow, it blew off and hit the ground.

Good news is that it was in a case and it basically survived.

Bad new is it fell in the Power Switch on the edge, which is now jammed in, making it usable but very awkward. The case is slightly bent, holding it in.

We went to the Apple Store in Knoxville yesterday with a Genius Bar appointment. I was thinking they would offer an exchange option, and if it was $200 or less we could count ourselves lucky.

Well, more like $379. Ouch!

The fellow showed us a software workaround, using a triple-tap to bring up a "faux" Power Switch, but like I said, that's an awkward workaround. Only way to turn it on is to plug it into power.

Anyway, I've tried futzing with it trying to jam a jeweler's screwdriver in there to pry it out - no go so far and just buggering it up.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a non-Apple repair place?

I am going to check iFixit next.

Let me add that we never buy extended warranties, and this is one of the only times it would have been handy. And also that a heavier case, like an Otterbox, may have prevented this.

Thanks!

Air2 doesn't even have aftermarket glass yet.:(

I would try opening it up and trying to straighten the case. It don't think it matters if you break it worse, $379 is the exchange period it seems like.

There is a kisosk at our mall that fixes I-stuff. They charge half as much as Apple charges. And you can talk to the tech and watch her as she fixes it. I'm sure you have similar options.

Karen got an iPad Air2 for her birthday in January.

Last week, she took it to the hangar with me and set it on a motorcycle seat.

When I started up the Sky Arrow, it blew off and hit the ground.

Good news is that it was in a case and it basically survived.

Bad new is it fell in the Power Switch on the edge, which is now jammed in, making it usable but very awkward. The case is slightly bent, holding it in.

We went to the Apple Store in Knoxville yesterday with a Genius Bar appointment. I was thinking they would offer an exchange option, and if it was $200 or less we could count ourselves lucky.

Well, more like $379. Ouch!

The fellow showed us a software workaround, using a triple-tap to bring up a "faux" Power Switch, but like I said, that's an awkward workaround. Only way to turn it on is to plug it into power.

Anyway, I've tried futzing with it trying to jam a jeweler's screwdriver in there to pry it out - no go so far and just buggering it up.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a non-Apple repair place?

I am going to check iFixit next.

Let me add that we never buy extended warranties, and this is one of the only times it would have been handy. And also that a heavier case, like an Otterbox, may have prevented this.

Thanks!

Mission Repair

Thanks!

Just spoke with them, and like Henning said, the problem right now is parts.

He said the repair should be simple, but involves prying off the glass and if it cracked, I'd be hosed until they got new parts in.

Said to try back in a month.

Have a call in to one other place but suspect the same situation may apply.

Thanks!

Just spoke with them, and like Henning said, the problem right now is parts.

He said the repair should be simple, but involves prying off the glass and if it cracked, I'd be hosed until they got new parts in.

Said to try back in a month.

Have a call in to one other place but suspect the same situation may apply.

In the end, you won't save much. Aftermarket glass will be around $200 WHEN it becomes available. It was 'try in a month' in December. Then you will still have the extra dent repair costs to deal with. You might end up saving $50 -$75 at the end of the deal, and then there is the risk with the aftermarket glass causing touch alignment problems as is being experienced now. Personally, I just bit the bullet and did the trade in.

The problem is the same everywhere because the aftermarket is not yet manufacturing the parts, and Apple doesn't sell them. I had three shops, "no problem" I show up and they figure out they can't buy the parts after numerous assurances they had them over the phone.

Last edited:
I've been into several IPads, it's not easy but doable. Once parts become available, get on YouTube and see how it's done. Yours may be a goner though since the case is bent. You'll need a digitizer (glass) a switch, bezel, maybe the antennas since they can get cut taking the glass off.
Good luck
Tim

After I cracked the glass in my air,found the cheapest option ,was to take the replacement,the case is to thin to get back into the right shape.apple will not sell you insurance on the replacement.

Thanks, guys.

Right now we're planning a trip and Karen wants to wait a while on the repair.

I think we're going with:

https://www.imobilerescue.com/ipad-screen-repair-replacement/

They said flat rate of $130 for button repair. They said if they broke the glass on removal they would consider it a learning experience and replace it on their dime. And that if they found the damage to be irreparable, there would just be a $30 "estimate" fee.

If and when we go that way I'll report back.

Back