Ipad Air2 and Stratus2S and Foreflight

Getonit

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
So I bought the new Ipad Air2 because I bought a Stratus 2S.
Will leave the discussions and endless forced upgrades to another discussion.

My issue is battery life while running the Stratus 2S and FF, it is terrible.
It is depleting about 20% to 25% per hour. I think that is terrible, saw somewhere else on here it should be about 10%/hour.

I haven't contacted FF yet, but want to get a general opinion before I complain to them.

Thanks,
Mark

So I bought the new Ipad Air2 because I bought a Stratus 2S.
Will leave the discussions and endless forced upgrades to another discussion.

My issue is battery life while running the Stratus 2S and FF, it is terrible.
It is depleting about 20% to 25% per hour. I think that is terrible, saw somewhere else on here it should be about 10%/hour.

I haven't contacted FF yet, but want to get a general opinion before I complain to them.

Thanks,
Mark

There are lots of things you can do to optimize (read minimize) battery use. Here's one article:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/tips-improve-ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-battery-life.html

I'd try some of those suggestions. I can only speak for the iPad Air, not the Air2, but I get 6-7 hours using the Stratus2.

As an aside, I usually plug it into the 12v power source in the plane. With the right adapter, it will actually charge while in use.

I hadn't gotten around to those things yet. Will try them soon. I did buy a USB multi plug adapter to run all of the electronic gizmos, but it did nothing but feed static into the radios. Chinese made crap.

Several suggestions.

1. Turn down screen brightness. Full bright sux battery.
2. Bluetooth on? If so shut it off if not needed.
3. Kill active apps not using.
4. Settings - auto app updating on? If so turn it off.

Let us know how you fare.

My iPad drains pretty fat, might try shutting off the bluetooth, that is a good idea. But I do have a 9V outlet wired to ship's power and just keep it plugged in with an adaptor. Damn thing does get hot, though.

Are you sure that your iPad is not running the GPS? Sometimes I turn on the Stratus and open FF too quickly and the iPad seems to still run off the internal GPS. If I go to settings, make sure the Stratus has been captured and go back to FF, the little GPS triangle goes away.

Shut down all the apps your not using.Also check to make sure you are running on the stratus wi fi. Also look to see how many towers are in the area.

Don't forget to turn Cellular data off. It's easy to forget that since it's not a phone but if you leave it on, the iPad will waste power searching for cell towers.

Back