iPad 3G data plan changes

If you go to "settings->general->usage", you'll see "Cellular Network Data". This appears to just accumulate through the life of the phone, and be wholly independent of any billing cycles, only resetting back to zero if you explicitly reset it.

On the other hand, if you login to the AT&T web page, either through a web browser or through their iphone app, they will show you your usage of voice, text, and data so far in this billing cycle.

So whether the number you're looking at is "all time" or "so far this month" depends on where you got it.
-harry
I wish they had a separate stat for 3G data usage. The iPhone counts wifi data and 3G data as the same I believe, which isn't especially helpful...

I wish they had a separate stat for 3G data usage. The iPhone counts wifi data and 3G data as the same I believe, which isn't especially helpful...

Nooooo, the data listed is cellular data only. Thus the title "Cellular Network Data" ;)

Here are my 2 phones....

Attachments

• phone1.jpg
    phone1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
  • phone2.jpg
    phone2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 7
Oh. Thanks, I guess I never noticed that! :)

Yeah, I know mine would be much higher if it included wifi transfers. I think that's why most people are low, we all manage to spend time on the phone near wifi, it's rare that we do heavy duty stuff on Edge/3G, probably since the battery dies so quickly.. :redface:

Will the iPhjone 4G have anything to do with actually working on a 4G network? I ask because the only 4G that is commercial right now is WiMAX and that is not what AT&T uses. They have a GSM + 3G network and their plan for 4G is to go LTE in a couple of years. There may be some preliminary LTE being tested around the country on AT&T networks. But true LTE 4G is actually a technology called LTE-A and the standard for that was just released last month.

If Apple calls their phone a 4G model I seriously doubt that it actually runs on a 4G network.

While I still have no insight into what the new iPhone will be capable of I am now free to say something about Verizon and their network. It is now public that Verizon will be deploying some commercial LTE, a 4G technology, into a few commercial markets this year. Considering there has yet to be any type of announcement by Verizon that they will carry an iPhone I doubt that the new version of it would be able to operate on a Verizon network which is predominately CDMA 1x anyways. The iPhone 3G's are a GSM/UMTS technology device.

Verizon's public plan is for 4G-LTE dongles (USB devices for PCs) to be available this year and handsets perhaps next year. For the techno geeks the Verizon LTE is targeted for the 700MHz band. This new bandclass give Verizon a lot more spectrum to operate in and does not cause them to have to overlay their 800MHz CDMA system to lose voice or EVDO capacity. AT&T has had to split its bands to handle voice and the increase in data from their iPhone and iPad sales.

Last edited:
Ah yes, AT&T's one saving grace, the fact that they had truly unlimited data (well, as long as you were on their network...), will soon be gone.

Sooner or later, there will be a Verizon iPhone. I'll be tempted, the one thing is that Verizon's 3G cannot be used while you are on a phone call, while AT&T's can. Scott, will Verizon's 4G technology allow data usage during a phone call or not?

FWIW, I am one of those who will NOT be served well by the new changes. Since I bought my iPhone 3GS in September, I'm sitting at 47.8GB of data usage, for an average of roughly 5.6GB per month. According to AT&T, the last 6 months I have used 3.6, 4.5, 8.1, 3.7, 7.6, and 5.5 GB. In those 6 months, I've spent $180 ($30/mo). Under the new "Pro" plan I would have spent $150 for the basic plan, plus $190 for additional gigs for a total of $340. $340>>$180. :mad: So, I'll happily be sticking with the unlimited plan for now.

On the iPad, I've used 4.7GB in just a hair over a month. So, the Unlimited will work better there too.

Sigh. :(

I've only used about 9 MB so far this month (but that's all of two days). Once I run the download for the database for WingX tonight that will go WAY up. Unfortunately I can't find a way to view anything but the current period on VZ's web site. And I don't feel like creating a spread sheet to track it.

I'll be tempted, the one thing is that Verizon's 3G cannot be used while you are on a phone call, while AT&T's can. Scott, will Verizon's 4G technology allow data usage during a phone call or not?
There are really two answers here. The first is can the technology support it, the second is does the operator wish to deploy said service.

The feature that you are talking about is termed concurrent services in the industry. Years ago when I was developing what Verizon's 3G technology is, my working group (I was the chair) had a discussion about supporting concurrent services. Sprint was all gung ho for it, VZ and Qualcomm were not. I suspect that it was mostly due to Qualcomm's chip architecture not being able to support it and they had lots of sway with VZ. The feature was dropped until Qualcomm could catch up, which they have BTW. The technology can now support that feature, VZ chooses to not deploy it at this time.

When VZ deploys LTE, early versions may not support concurrent services and/or VZ may not deploy it due to the way they are planning their data network.

There are really two answers here. The first is can the technology support it, the second is does the operator wish to deploy said service.

The feature that you are talking about is termed concurrent services in the industry. Years ago when I was developing what Verizon's 3G technology is, my working group (I was the chair) had a discussion about supporting concurrent services. Sprint was all gung ho for it, VZ and Qualcomm were not. I suspect that it was mostly due to Qualcomm's chip architecture not being able to support it and they had lots of sway with VZ. The feature was dropped until Qualcomm could catch up, which they have BTW. The technology can now support that feature, VZ chooses to not deploy it at this time.

When VZ deploys LTE, early versions may not support concurrent services and/or VZ may not deploy it due to the way they are planning their data network.

Interersting. I thought it was because VZ's system used a voice frequency for data while ATT's used the control frequency. I guess you can't trust everything you learn on the Internet after all. ;)

According to press reports ATT confirmed that if you are merely upgrading to the new iPhone as an existing iPhone customer you may retain your "unlimited" data plan (which was never truly unlimited...anyway...)

Doesn't help with the iPad I know.

According to press reports ATT confirmed that if you are merely upgrading to the new iPhone as an existing iPhone customer you may retain your "unlimited" data plan (which was never truly unlimited...anyway...)

Good to know... But yes, it WAS unlimited. Truly unlimited. No 5GB cap. I've used upwards of 10GB in a month, and never heard a peep from AT&T as long as I did it on their network.

Doesn't help with the iPad I know.

Luckily, those of us who already had iPads on the $30 unlimited plan will get to keep it, but we can't turn it on and off at will any more. If you turn it off, you lose it for good is what I hear. :(

Back