iPad "3"... Ugh, which one?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I haven't bought one yet... I just can't decide!

Oh, I know what I want Apple-wise... 64 gig, WiFi+4G, black.

What I can't decide is whether to go AT&T or Verizon this time. I'm one of the few people who's grandfathered in to unlimited data on AT&T, so I can keep that going and have unlimited data for $30.

OTOH, Verizon includes WiFi Hotspot functionality in their data plans, while AT&T currently doesn't support it through the new iPad at all. What to do, what to do... Sigh.

I went with the VZ Hotspot, here's why...

I had the data tethering turned on on the iPhone 4 and would use it to feed the iPad when mobile.

Dropping the tethering saved a few bucks, the tethering is free on the VZ iPad.

4G coverage around here has been great... regularly seeing 6M/2M.

Downside: The battery on the iPad 3 is NOT lasting nearly as long as the iPad 1. That screen is a mega battery-sucker. I'm seeing 6 hours or so between full charges and the charges take a much longer time.

In the end, your grandfathered AT&T deal rocks... hard to lose that. But coverage is King. Whatever has the best coverage in your area is what I'd go with.

Leslie got a 16GB AT&T Black version. Yeah, I know, but her work got it for her, totally to her surprise. I doubt she'll be doing a lot of video on it, so 16GB should work. She'll just need to be a little selective about which charts she brings down.

I like Verizon's service better, but it is hard to argue with unlimted data.

I should mention that I think VZ comes out about $5/mo higher across the board on their data plans... but maybe they've changed that by now. I wouldn't call AT&T and VZ exactly "competitive" with each other, but they usually do a good job of colluding to match prices. :)

I got an AT&T one, because that's what I had originally. The tethering has ****ed me off, and now I wish I would have gotten the Verizon.

Just sayin

I got a VZ iPad *because* I had an AT&T iPhone. I like having the network redundancy. I've been sitting at a remote airport more than once when I had service on one and not on the other...and it's happened both ways.

I haven't bought one yet... I just can't decide!

Oh, I know what I want Apple-wise... 64 gig, WiFi+4G, black.

What I can't decide is whether to go AT&T or Verizon this time. I'm one of the few people who's grandfathered in to unlimited data on AT&T, so I can keep that going and have unlimited data for $30.

OTOH, Verizon includes WiFi Hotspot functionality in their data plans, while AT&T currently doesn't support it through the new iPad at all. What to do, what to do... Sigh.

Kent, how about one of each? :D

Did you know this?:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/16/new-verizon-ipad-runs-on-att-3g-networks-with-att-micro-sim/

If you keep reading (the comments and the forums) you'll find out that while it is "possible" it's not something that you'll be doing. AT&T is monitoring it VERY closely and is sending text messages to users that do it (often within the hour of trying it) "offering" them iPad data plans. If they ignore the "offer" their data plans are being shut down.

Back