Iowa Supper Wednesday?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Im aiming to do a cross country with my PP student on Wednesday, looking for a day departure followed by night return. somewhere within about 100 miles from Cedar Rapids/Iowa City. Anyone got good ideas?

that could work. know if there is a gas station nearby (non ethanol?) looks like FBO closes at 5, we'd probably need a little gas for the return trip

we planned out a flight to prarie du chien tonight, plan on it for tomorrow. you going to join us scott? we should be there around 7 or 730.

I hear Augusta, ME or Waterville, ME (KAUG, or KWVL) are only just a little bit over 100 miles from there. I can even arrange a ride to dinner...

well i guess well just eat at prarie du chien on our own then unless someone else shows up.

Aww hell the WX is gorgeous....I'll grab an archer and head out to PDC. Any one from MSN(Kent??) feel like joining me?

Pete

Kents at AOPA expo. look forward to seeing you Pete, and whoever else you drag along. no doubt about the weather. after the tornadic storms blew through last night (ate supper to the tune of sirens) it cleared out to a ceiling of a couple million light years. TAFs for the entire area are forecasting CLR for the next 24 hrs.

Well Im back. Pete, Nate, and I had a very good supper at The Angus, which is right across the street from the airport. yum yum yum! Pete blasted off after we finally decided to stop talking about airplanes while Nate and I grabbed a gas can and walked down to the BP. No taxiing to the gas pumps this time :) fuel tested and can filled we hiked the mile back to the airport. I got this little siphon thing when i bought the gas can but as i suspected the diameter of the tubing was way too small for the application. we finally departed PDC about 11:05. winds aloft were stronger on the way home which meant stronger headwinds hooray. about 65 knot groundspeeds i believe. both of us were fairly tired but managed to find the airport and do a couple landings, i got one for currency. airplanes tucked away safe in its hangar and i got to get to sleep.

I think PDC would make a great fly in spot! nice restaurant and a hotel right across from the airport. what else could you ask for?

Damn it must have taken you a while to get the plane refueled. I think I was parked in MSN by 11:05 :D . Caught a pretty nice tailwing on the way back. Saw a GS of 132 at one point. The winds were pretty interesting. Calm on the ground with a pretty turbulent shear layer at about 1500 feet and strong westerly winds above that.

Good food, good conversation, and got night current again all in all a fun flight.

Pete

P.S. How did your student do on the black hole approach back into your home field?

yea the wind was definitely stronger on the way home. we also felt the shear layer, but it was lower than 1500 when we left. like i said the walk to the gas station was about a mile, find a bottle, test the fuel, fill up, then walk back a mile. that siphon i had only had like an 1/8 in diameter so it was slow going.

Nate did pretty good with his landing, of course the ground snuck up on him but i expected that. i got one too and did OK.

Back