Iowa Region Soaring Seminar and Banquet

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
PoA friends,
The regional Soaring Seminar and Banquet will be held in Ames on March 3. Would love to see some of you make it, it should be a great time. Here is the announcement, please feel free to contact me as indicated or through PM with any questions. Thanks!

2007 Iowa Region Soaring Seminar and Banquet
Saturday March 3 in Ames, IA

Hosted by Silent Knights glider club and Iowa State Flying Cyclones

Seminar will take place in Howe Hall on the Iowa State campus starting at 1 PM.
The Program is still being developed, it includes the following, and we are negotiating for other fascinating presenters. Please contact us if you have any suggestions or would like to make a presentation.

Don Ingraham, Hilton Cup winner, CFIG, and owner of Cross Country Soaring in Faribault, MN, will be showing slides and sharing stories from soaring over the southern Alps of New Zealand in Omarama. Omarama was the site of the recent Grand Prix of Soaring.

Don Gurnett, Physics Professor from the University of Iowa and longtime cross country and nationally ranked soaring competitor, will discuss thermal convection. This is a presentation he gave at last years national SSA Convention.

More presentations are in the works, including an “Ask the Instructor” session where a region CFIG will field questions from the audience. Topic is up to you and questions from pilots from all backgrounds and experience levels are welcome.

Tours of Iowa States C4 Virtual Reality lab have also been arranged. The C4 has 3 dimensional projectors which shine images onto the floor and 3 walls to present a cave like effect. 3 dimensional sound is also incorporated. This will be a very exciting presentation that will put you in the drivers seat of a program on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. More information on the C4 is available at the Virtual Reality Application Center’s website, vrac.iastate.edu.

Cost for the seminar has been set at $20 per person. Advance payment to hold your place is required. Fee will be waived for prospective glider pilots and youth. Please send your checks as soon as possible, made out to Tony Condon. Paypal is also available, made out to Matt Michael at wby0nder@aol.com

Dinner and storytelling will take place at Lucullans Italian Grill, 400 Main Street, in downtown Ames starting at 6 PM. Prices will be reasonable, $15-$20 plus drinks and tips. Reports from around the region and annual awards banquet will take place at this time also. If you would like to be included in the evening program, please contact us. Lucullans was the site of the 2004 Dinner and proved to be popular with all.

Tony Condon
3216 Frederiksen Court
Ames, IA 50010
fife one fife - two niner one - zero zero eight niner
tcondon*at*iastate.edu

Updates will be posted at www.knightglider.com/seminar.htm

Hope to see some of you there! Remember there is no charge for potential glider students (most of you). But I still need to know how many people will be there so reply here please.

Geesh! Wish I could come up Tony. Unfortunately, I'm going up that-a-way the following weekend and really can't change it.

Hope it goes well.

Best,

Dave

How bout the 31st Dave? PoA Glide a Thon. see other thread... :D

Selfish Bump and reminder. If any of you fine folks are thinking about attending, please reply to this thread. While it certainly wont cost you anything to attend, I need to have a rough estimate of how many will be there. Thanks!

We have verified another speaker. Jim Porter will be talking about Remote Control Gliding. He will concentrate on RC glider cross country flying. He is an experience RC cross country pilot and has flown thermal and slope duration contests around the world. He plans to bring some of his contest gliders for display, including a 1/4 scale Nimbus 3, with 6ish meter wingspan, and a 40% scale ASW-28 with 7.3 meter wingspan!

Once again, admission to the Seminar would be free for most PoA'ers, except for the ones with glider ratings. Then it is a mere 20 dollars. Please let me know via PM or email or phone if you will be joining us. Thanks!

Ok folks, Don Gurnett isnt going to make it but the speaker schedule is as follows:

1-2 PM RC Cross Country Soaring
2-3 Soaring New Zealand
3-4 Tours of C4 Virtual Reality Lab
4-5 Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air book presentation by author.

Hope to see any of you there!

Back