Iowa Plane Crash & Media Use of Drone

Cykoguy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cykoguy
Sadly we had a fatal crash here yesterday. Here is the link to the news story on it.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Plane-crashes-near-Monticello-airport-432016683.html

The part I took objection to was this station using their drone to take aerial pictures of the crash site which was on the airport (MXO). When I asked them about it and informed them this was illegal they said that the operator checked and didn't see NOTAMs for no use and that the airport was closed (only the grass runway was closed the hard surface was still open from what I could tell).I tried to point out that there is always a no fly zone within five miles of airports but they didn't seem to care. Is there a reporting process for stuff like this? Here is one picture they took with the drone.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/MONTICELLO+PLANE+CRASH3.jpg

Part 107 is illegal now? It's not a no-fly zone. It's by request, if anything.

We had a plane crash at I19 near Dayton 2 winters ago and the same thing occurred with one local station. A good drinking buddy of mine happened to be a met for the station at the time and I started giving him the business for their drone flying over an airport approach... Supposedly they got a waiver from the FAA since the field was still closed for the wreck recovery. YMMV.

the operator checked and didn't see NOTAMs for no use and that the airport was closed (only the grass runway was closed the hard surface was still open from what I could tell).

Closure of a runway is generally much more likely than closure of an entire field.

Even if all runways are closed, a field would typically remain open for rotorcraft. That has happened here in nearby Iowa City.

So I think you are right. The drone operator was almost surely violating the airport's airspace.

What's the plane that crashed? In the article it looks like he's posing with an Aztec but the plane in the crash picture looks like light sport. CTLS or something...

What's the plane that crashed? In the article it looks like he's posing with an Aztec but the plane in the crash picture looks like light sport. CTLS or something...

I noticed that too, but thought it appeared possibly an upside down strut-wing Cessna?

I tried to point out that there is always a no fly zone within five miles of airports but they didn't seem to care.
Does that apply to commercial drone ops as well?

They have not announced that but I agree it definitely looks like an LSA. I would expect a preliminary report today.

We had a plane crash at I19 near Dayton 2 winters ago and the same thing occurred with one local station. A good drinking buddy of mine happened to be a met for the station at the time and I started giving him the business for their drone flying over an airport approach... Supposedly they got a waiver from the FAA since the field was still closed for the wreck recovery. YMMV.

I am trying not to **** them off too much especially since I interned at this station back when I was in meteorology and still converse with the mets there. Reading the rules it looks like you can get waivers/exemptions but I would assume that is on a case by case basis and 5PM on Saturday I doubt that is going to be a quick turn around.

Does that apply to commercial drone ops as well?

Digging into this more that is where it gets a little mucky. It looks like they have to notify not ask for permission and whoever is the owning agency of the airspace can object but not deny. Items 6 and 7 at the following link under "Flying for Work or Business".

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Also it looks like the FAA has a website to report illegal use. I am going to use that as well as call the DSM FSDO because this is becoming a bigger rabbit hole than I expected (surprise surprise) and I am generally curious.

http://www.federaldronereport.com/

Another fellow meteorologist? Nice!

There isn't a no fly zone within 5 miles of an airport. You just need to contact the airport manager prior to operations. I actually fly my RC planes AT my local airport.

The plane was a CTsw, purchased by them in 2006. Jerry Naylor was an accomplished pilot who'd been flying since 1945. 90+
14285106_G.jpg

Part 107 is applicable to small UAV commercial ops, which use by a TV station would be. The two applicable sections would be:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

§107.43 Operation in the vicinity of airports.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that interferes with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport, or seaplane base.

Two things that really get on my nerves, drones being flown where they shouldn't be, and the media in general (with some exceptions of course). I say report them for sure.

Two things that really get on my nerves, drones being flown where they shouldn't be, and the media in general (with some exceptions of course). I say report them for sure.
For what?

Drone hysteria!!!

There's nothing to report. There isn't a so called no fly zone within 5 miles of uncontrolled airports.

They just need to ask the airport manager.. a simple... "may I?" Is all that is required...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just need to ask the airport manager.. a simple... "may I?" Is all that is required...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And even if the airport manager says no, they can still fly it. It's just a notification.

Y'all... the 5 mile notification requirement of §101.41(e) applies only to hobby or recreational use!

The station is most certainly not operating for recreation or hobby purposes, so the pilot must be certificated and operating under part 107.

When operating under part 107, the remote pilot can operate in the vicinity of an airport in uncontrolled airspace provided he does not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at the airport.

Yeah, I was about to say, I don't think they even incorporated that wording into the RPC stuff. Even for us hobby guys, it's a waste of time in most cases. Like someone is going to notify an airport manager if they live within 5 miles of an airport and flying their drone 20 ft in their backyard. Then, even if the manager says no, you can still do it. Hilarious.

Another misconception is the 400 ft agl rule that keeps getting spewed out on the Internet. I can easily see my ducted fan jets at 1000 ft and be completely legal.

Then of course the whole registration for model aircraft has been blown out of the water, so that's no longer required either.

The FAA has tried to come to some sort of common ground in creating certain rules for comm UAS that keep the manned aircraft group appeased. I think they've done an admirable job in that regard but getting everyone to follow the rules is a whole different story. In this case, the aircraft appears to be within the law. That is, assuming he's certified and registered.

Exactly, and I do. I've been an AMA member for about 10 years and operate within our safety code guidelines.

I have a feeling the FAA hates the 400 ft exemption but the AMA keeps lobbying to keep it in the "special rule." I'm sure the FAA would love to crack down on that but like the registration that was overruled by a judge recently, the FAA's hands are tied.

Another thing I find funny is the interference with manned aircraft you mentioned. That applies to both RPC and hobby guys. Well, what constitutes interfereing with manned aircraft? I flew past a quadcopter years ago at over 500 ft agl and maybe 50-75 ft away. Was that interfering or am I required to take evasive action? We keep getting all these reports of drones being close to manned aircraft, but for every legit report of "interference," you get 5 more where the pilot exaggerates the encounter. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Back