Iowa Man Shoots Dog For Tresspassing

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
What is going on in Iowa? :mad2:

Christmas eve a neighbor's friend's dog playing in the snow comes into the yard and the owner feels it necessary to hunt the dog down and shoot it. The one year old dog wasn't even on the owner's property when he shot it. Telling police; "I thought I could shoot it because it was on my property."

:mad2:

http://www.examiner.com/article/iowa-man-shoots-dog-who-was-playing-the-snow

Nice.

Last edited:
It saddens me to read something like this. What was this guy thinking? Wonder if any civil action can be taken to bring him to justice, instead of a simple misdemeanor that he is currently charged with and will not cause him any pain. If it was my dog, I would be looking for a legal way to make him suffer the consequences of his action.

Now paging a "Mr Mc Afee" Please pick up the white customer phone.... You have a very important mission...:eek::rolleyes:

It saddens me to read something like this. What was this guy thinking? Wonder if any civil action can be taken to bring him to justice, instead of a simple misdemeanor that he is currently charged with and will not cause him any pain. If it was my dog, I would be looking for a legal way to make him suffer the consequences of his action.

In most states he might be found liable for the $ value of the animal in a civil action.

As you can imagine, this is all over the news here. The guy was arrested and additional animal cruelty, and animal neglect resulting in death of the animal charges have been filed. Now he is looking at county jail time.

6 months in the local lock up should be sufficient deterrent for any one else thinking a wandering animal is a moving target for practice.

Last edited:
If some guy shot my dog for playing in the snow. I would tell him not to worry about the money, just to be very careful walking around the neighborhood. With all that snow and ice some night he might fall down and hurt himself very badly.

This stuff makes me crazy

I've raised cattle, llamas, chickens, all likes of critters, & I love dogs. Some times dogs go bad, pack up and kill live stock for sport. I would not hesitate to kill a dog killing my livestock. That is the law here, but you cannot shoot a dog or cat for just being on your property, that is the law also. They must be a threat to your livestock or you.

Gives gun owners a very bad name.

If some guy shot my dog for playing in the snow. I would tell him not to worry about the money, just to be very careful walking around the neighborhood. With all that snow and ice some night he might fall down,repeatedly face first with increasing severity and hurt himself very badly.

FIFY :yesnod:

I can't tell you the number of strays I have captured and held them until the owners came looking.

6 cattle
Numerous dogs
Llamas ( yes, stray llamas)
Emu's
2 horses
And a couple of kids ( parents never even came to get them :dunno: :lol:)

Never even had the gun loaded. ( The cattle thing was tempting ;))

I can't tell you the number of strays I have captured and held them until the owners came looking.

6 cattle
Numerous dogs
Llamas ( yes, stray llamas)
Emu's
2 horses
And a couple of kids ( parents never even came to get them :dunno: :lol:)

Never even had the gun loaded. ( The cattle thing was tempting ;))

Emu's can be pretty nasty.

x2

If some guy shot my dog for playing in the snow. I would tell him not to worry about the money, just to be very careful walking around the neighborhood. With all that snow and ice some night he might fall down and hurt himself very badly.

What is going on in Iowa? :mad2:

Christmas eve a neighbor's friend's dog playing in the snow comes into the yard and the owner feels it necessary to hunt the dog down and shoot it. The one year old dog wasn't even on the owner's property when he shot it. Telling police; "I thought I could shoot it because it was on my property."

:mad2:

http://www.examiner.com/article/iowa-man-shoots-dog-who-was-playing-the-snow

Nice.

What is worse than the fact that this guy is an idiot, is that he is heartless idiot. His neighbor should arm his pets to protect themselves from this guy! (j/k on that last part, of course.)

I'm right at the point of saying that idiot deserves to lose his gun privileges. At least for a while. Mandatory training and community service at a pound sounds good too.

Did our Colorado police officer shooting of a dog make it to the national stage? The video is awful.

Dog is on the end of an Animal Control officer's stick, and by even the City's hired animal behavior expert stated that the dog is in full "flight" mode trying to get away, when the police officer un-holsters and fires at about 5-6'. Five or six rounds and the dog doesn't die immediately. It's an execution, the officer was in no danger and neither was the public by the time the weapon is fired.

The only reason the jerk got caught was the proliferation of video cameras in people's hands these days.

A neighbor was shooting video from an across the street upstairs window. I dare say he'd have gotten away with calling the dog "aggressive" in his "official" lie/report if the video weren't rolling.

I won't bother posting links. Y'all can find them. The officer's behavior and report are beyond reprehensible once the video came to light.

I've not eaten Emu, but Ostrich is very tasty. There's an ostrich ranch right around the corner from me. The stuff looks like beef but is incredibly lean.

A local cop shot 2 (TWO) of my mothers dogs, both in her yard and one was asleep under her car when it was shot, the other was at the back gate wanting back in (with a neighbor begging him to let him put the dog back in). I took pleasure in learning the cop in question recently flipped his car over at 100MPH for chasing a suspect through a busy section of town, during Christmas shopping at speeds over 100MPH for "a rolling stop" at a stop sign. He is now fired from the PD, this makes 3 he's been fired from, hopefully it'll be his last opportunity to be fired from a PD.

I find the whole thing reprehensible, but some people take trespassing real serious. I've heard people brag about ordering people off their property at gun point and see nothing at all wrong with that. I think there are people out there who will say that she should have kept her dog on a leash. I will find it interesting to see if a Cass County jury will find him guilty.

Animals can not "trespass." Animal or human, there's no provision in the law to chase down people AFTER they leave your property. There's a difference between self-defense and vigilantism.

Animals can not "trespass." Animal or human, there's no provision in the law to chase down people AFTER they leave your property. There's a difference between self-defense and vigilantism.

Then why did this guy shoot this dog? He told the cops it was because the dog was on his property and he thought he had a right to shoot it. When he finally got close enough to the dog to shoot it was no longer on his property. What word would you have used in the title to express what this guy did and why? :dunno:

Hell, it's Iowa. These are the same people who set the tone for the presidential elections every 4 years holding the first primary elections. Maybe we should rethink that. :dunno: :lol:

Last edited:
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

I like to mow my lawn without smelling dog crap, I like to not smell cat urine on my car port. I drew the line at finding the neighbors Lab in my granddaughter's wading pool. Some folks just use their animals as a way of expanding their property rights. I can understand the mentality of how many times do I have to ask you nicely to keep your animals off my property?

Geico: I was referring not to the title but the immediate prior post by Maxmoseby. Trespassing is an act taken by humans. Animals can stray on to your property, but they are not criminals for doing so. Their owners may have some liability for the act however.

Well, it decided to rest under my bushes and I called it good. :dunno:

:rofl:

Are they tasty? :lol:

You could have asked Bobby Nutwell. Check on the video on youtube. He shot an emu that had been on the loose in Calvert County, MD for a couple of weeks two years ago. 'So I got him, and we gonna cook him up gooood' was the end of the interview (unfortunately Bobby passed away earlier this year, something about the curse of the emu....).

not enough information to make a judgement. Feral dogs are a problem. One of our farms is close enough to the city that strays run in packs and cause trouble. Most every fall we have a spur-of-the minute dog hunt and probably kill 20 dogs within 2-3 miles of the house. Once they start running in a pack they're fair game no matter whose property they're on. Responsible property owners don't mind of a neighbor comes on their land to get rid of a problem to everyone's livestock.

I see it this way. If a neighbor's dog were causing a problem on my property, that neighbor would get fair warning. I prefer to give them a chance to be a good citizen. Continued problems would likely result in a call to animal control. Continued problems beyond that would lead to more immediate and forceful actions. Not a big fan of firearms, but there are lots and lots of ways to rid oneself of unwanted animals.

Fortunately packs of wild dogs don't tend to be a big problem in the city. I haven't had any problems with anyone's dog, but then again good fences make good neighbors. I passed someone's dog on the street today, surprisingly unrestrained. Quite rare here. Nice dog, too.

Most every fall we have a spur-of-the minute dog hunt and probably kill 20 dogs within 2-3 miles of the house. Once they start running in a pack they're fair game no matter whose property they're on. Responsible property owners don't mind of a neighbor comes on their land to get rid of a problem to everyone's livestock.

Oh, so you dont humanely catch them, spay and neuter them and put them up for adoption through the local shelter* :nono:.

*where 97/100 times they get 'euthanized' after being found unadoptable

The unfortunate truth that "good fences make good neighbors" usually requires the non offender spend his money to make the good fence. Like may things in our country today everyone has the right to (........) but they forget the responsibility that goes with the right.

not enough information to make a judgement. Feral dogs are a problem. One of our farms is close enough to the city that strays run in packs and cause trouble. Most every fall we have a spur-of-the minute dog hunt and probably kill 20 dogs within 2-3 miles of the house. Once they start running in a pack they're fair game no matter whose property they're on. Responsible property owners don't mind of a neighbor comes on their land to get rid of a problem to everyone's livestock.

Despite your predispositions about the fact that this was Iowa, this did not take place on or near any farm or livestock. It took place almost smack dab in the middle of the town of Marne, which while not very big, the lots in question are little half acre small town homes.

And frankly, you'd be advised to be careful. Come around tresspassing in rural NC shooting at dogs, you'd likely be likely to find someone "standing their ground" against you and shooting back.

EVen with nuisance animals, vigilante dog hunting is neither legal nor condoned.

Despite your predispositions about the fact that this was Iowa, this did not take place on or near any farm or livestock. It took place almost smack dab in the middle of the town of Marne, which while not very big, the lots in question are little half acre small town homes.

And frankly, you'd be advised to be careful. Come around tresspassing in rural NC shooting at dogs, you'd likely be likely to find someone "standing their ground" against you and shooting back.

EVen with nuisance animals, vigilante dog hunting is neither legal nor condoned.
what you call vigilante, I call being a good neighbor. If I had a dog causing problems for someone I'd expect that person to likewise be a good neighbor and dispatch the animal for me.

I love me some dogs, but I don't anthropomorphize them. Animal cruelty laws aren't about protecting the animal IMO, they are about the antisocial behavior exhibited by the perp.

I have no problem dispatching dogs which are causing trouble. I have no problem expecting an owner to keep his/her dog under control and out of my business as it were. I also have no problem recognizing that things happen and sometimes (just like children) dogs end up where they don't belong, innocently enough. What is missing in this story is common sense.

I love me some dogs, but I don't anthropomorphize them. Animal cruelty laws aren't about protecting the animal IMO, they are about the antisocial behavior exhibited by the perp.

I have no problem dispatching dogs which are causing trouble. I have no problem expecting an owner to keep his/her dog under control and out of my business as it were. I also have no problem recognizing that things happen and sometimes (just like children) dogs end up where they don't belong, innocently enough. What is missing in this story is common sense.

It's Iowa.... nuf said. ;)

Back