Iowa Aviation Museum

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
Located adjacent to GFZ in Greenfield, Iowa, this place is awesome! There are 16-17 airplanes on display. All have an Iowa connection - either manufactured in the state, flown there, or donated by an Iowan. There are also a number of aviation-related artifacts, as well as an impressive library. There was a small admission fee (I think it was $3 or $5) -- well worth it. In addition, they have a small gift shop.

The airplanes are in remarkably good condition. In fact, the J3 is still flown regularly, I was told. The docent, who I believe is a pilot, said the 182 tied down on the ramp was hers. She offered to give a guided tour, or simply let visitors wander around as desired.

Here are a few pics:
e575de32.jpg

f0b71f1c.jpg

b428710f.jpg

75af5795.jpg

956a995e.jpg

05e956a7.jpg

51d39895.jpg

27d8351d.jpg

81b1fbdd.jpg

1fae1991.jpg

There are a few additional pictures here:

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/o583/nypac/Iowa/Iowa Aviation Museum/

This is a wonderful museum, well worth the stop. A well kept airfield, as well. I'm a member and get down there a couple of times a year for the displays and the camaradarie. Highly recommended.
Also in Iowa, aviation museums in Ankeny and Blakesburg and a private museum up around Ft. Dodge that is only open a couple of days a year. More rotaries there than I've ever seen in one place before.

there is also a Cherokee II there in the back corner, which was the first glider to soar XC in Iowa. Matt M and I delivered it there after it survived the flooding in downtown Cedar Rapids. Thankfully it was hung from the ceiling of the science center there since the water was up nearly to it.

Also in Iowa, aviation museums in Ankeny and Blakesburg and a private museum up around Ft. Dodge that is only open a couple of days a year. More rotaries there than I've ever seen in one place before.

There is one in Ankeny? I parked the plane there at IKV while I was in the area. Where's it located?

there is also a Cherokee II there in the back corner, which was the first glider to soar XC in Iowa. Matt M and I delivered it there after it survived the flooding in downtown Cedar Rapids. Thankfully it was hung from the ceiling of the science center there since the water was up nearly to it.

Yes, I recall seeing it! I remember taking my kids to the Cedar Rapids science center years ago. I wonder if it was there at that time?

I think that is Don Gurnett's Cherokee, isn't it?

The Ankeny museum is in a hangar south of the FBO - mostly warbirds.

POAers know where Ankeny is? :D

My wife spent some of her school years in Polk City. She claims to be a California girl, but I did convince her we needed to attend one of her high school reunion a number of years ago.

I told her I wanted to move there, and she swore she would never go back. :)

In my defense, it was one of those rare, low humidity, moderate temperature days.

In her defense, the day we left the weather returned to normal. 95* and 95% RH.

Saylorville Lake was fun, tho.

Yes, I recall seeing it! I remember taking my kids to the Cedar Rapids science center years ago. I wonder if it was there at that time?

I'm not sure when it was put on display there. They had two gliders hung from the ceiling in the lobby of the Science Center/IMAX theater. One was the Cherokee and the other was a Rutan Solitaire.

I think that is Don Gurnett's Cherokee, isn't it?

Yep it was Don's first glider, he didn't build it though. You should ask him about some of his early XC adventures in it, he has some pretty good stories.

There are also some interesting artifacts inside the FBO at Grinnell - east of DSM/IKV.

Back