Iowa - Alabama Friday.. What to do?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Friday, I'll be flying from Ames, Iowa to Birmingham, Alabama to pick up my bro-in-law, meet up with some of his buddies, and head to the Auburn - Florida game on Saturday. I was able to get the whole day off on Friday, but my b.i.l.'s flight from Vegas doesn't arrive in BHM until 9:30 Friday night, so I basically have all day Friday to complete what should be a 4 hr flight.

Any tips, ideas, etc. on interesting things to see enroute from Central Iowa to Central Alabama? I've got ALL day to get there (weather permitting, of course), so I'm open to a little deviation from the straight-line route! :D

-Chris

Attachments

• AMW-BHM.JPG
    AMW-BHM.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 20
looks like you are practically following rivers the whole way, should provide some interesting views

Take Tony and make it your Long IFR XC

Mark B

Sorry forgot, Yours is a 2 seater. Tony would be thumbing it home

Lambert's at SIK would be a good food stop.

markb5900 said:
Sorry forgot, Yours is a 2 seater. Tony would be thumbing it home

Yup.. He and my bro-in-law could fight it out for the right seat. haha.. That's the down side of having a fast two-seater .... UNLESS you're the PIC. :D

-Chris

Your right there Ed. It is a must stop!!!
Call them on unicom about 10 out, and they will have the van waiting for you.
They take you in the back door so you have no lines. When done just tell the cashier you need the shuttle back to the airport and she will call for it.
NOTE: They DON'T take credit cards, cash or check only.

Mark B.

N2212R said:
Lambert's at SIK would be a good food stop.

That thought has definitely crossed my mind. I keep intending on stopping there when to-and-from Alabama at holiday time but we're always crunched for time. So far, that's at the top of the list.

-Chris

tonycondon said:
looks like you are practically following rivers the whole way, should provide some interesting views

Yeah.. It's usually a pretty nice flight. It's interesting when we fly from Muscatine, when crossing the ?Ohio? River at Paducah how things magically go from flat and square to green and rolling. And once you cross over into TN, it's 'all pine, all the time'.

Depending on the winds aloft I'm either gonna make it a high and fast flight or a low and winding flight along the river.

-Chris

Have you checked the weekend weather lately...expecting low ceilings for most of it down this way...I'm scratching a popular fly-in at Pineville, LA as I have a commitment to be back Sunday afternoon and can't take a chance getting stuck waiting out the morning fog.

Steve said:
Have you checked the weekend weather lately...expecting low ceilings for most of it down this way...I'm scratching a popular fly-in at Pineville, LA as I have a commitment to be back Sunday afternoon and can't take a chance getting stuck waiting out the morning fog.

Hoping for the best. I've got all day Friday to get there and all day Sunday to get back. I know that sometimes it just doesn't work out and let you get back when you 'think' you want to get back, but it wouldn't be the first time I've napped in a FBO recliner waiting for weather to pass. ;)

-Chris

CJones said:
Any tips, ideas, etc. on interesting things to see enroute from Central Iowa to Central Alabama? I've got ALL day to get there (weather permitting, of course), so I'm open to a little deviation from the straight-line route! :D

I'm in Chattanooga, which is a little too far out of the way. Otherwise, I'd take a long lunch, pick you up at CHA, and we'd go for some BBQ.

CJones said:
Yeah.. It's usually a pretty nice flight. It's interesting when we fly from Muscatine, when crossing the ?Ohio? River at Paducah how things magically go from flat and square to green and rolling. And once you cross over into TN, it's 'all pine, all the time'.

Depending on the winds aloft I'm either gonna make it a high and fast flight or a low and winding flight along the river.

-Chris
If you're low and winding, feel free to buzz over me at OTM. You would have made good time today, strong winds out of the north/northwest. Hope that keeps up for ya`.

Bill Jennings said:
I'm in Chattanooga, which is a little too far out of the way. Otherwise, I'd take a long lunch, pick you up at CHA, and we'd go for some BBQ.

Yeah... A bit out too far out of the 'direct' route. Bummer.. I could REALLY go for some 'real' BBQ!! I would actually entertain the idea if I still had all day to get there, but I have be fenangled into working half day Friday. *sigh*

-Chris

bkreager said:
If you're low and winding, feel free to buzz over me at OTM. You would have made good time today, strong winds out of the north/northwest. Hope that keeps up for ya`.
Sweet.. Maybe I'll do a *low* departure out of Ames ;). haha

It'd be nice if these winds would hold up:

To: KMGM -- Montgomery AL (Montgomery Rgnl (Dannelly Field))
Alt.: 10,500 ft. Profile: RV-7A
Time: Thu Oct 12 00:42 (UTC)

Routing options selected: Great circle.
Flight plan route:
TNU240013 OTM240018 IRK060021 UIN240021 FTZ060003 CSX240024 FAM060004
CGI240009 MAW060025 DYR060017 MKL060012 JKS240011 MSL240022 HAB060016
VUZ240017 OKW060011 JYU060025
Flight totals: fuel: 45 gallons, time: 3:42, distance 675.9 nm.

Two words: YEE HAW!

-Chris

CJones said:
Yeah... A bit out too far out of the 'direct' route. Bummer.. I could REALLY go for some 'real' BBQ!! I would actually entertain the idea if I still had all day to get there, but I have be fenangled into working half day Friday. *sigh*

Next time, seriously!

Back