iOS5 WARNING!

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I upgraded my iPhone today from iOS 4.0. Had to download the latest itunes first, then reboot. Two tries ended with "unknown error" and a restore of my iPhone. no losses noted.

The third try afte I decided to reboot one mroe time resulted in what looked like a lengthy restore process as that is all oiTuens said it was doing. I did nto expect it to work this time.

The computer eventually appeared stuck in a "restoring iPhone" scenario for a long time. I pressed the home button on the phone to light the screen up and it was waiting on a bunch of responses from me. iOS 5 was there. I answered all the questions and the computer was still stuck on the restore. teh phone came to normal with none of my apps or my music. email and phone functions were all normal in appearance.

I terminated iTunes forcifully, Windows 7, and restarted it. Hooekd the phone up. iTuens now wants to restore the phone to prvious staste and load apps. I ran out of time as I spent roughly two hours on this fisaco and had to go to work. The phone at least is not bricked. That happened wit hthe first try of iOS 4.0 when it first came out.

I checked my iPod folder and all the music and videos and everything lese iPod related is gone. Playlists, music, etc are still on the computer thankfully. Hours probably to completely restore all that abnd the apps.

Jsut a heads up what to expect. I hope my iPad is easier to upgrade. ANyways, I am not real happy with the Aplle flunkies on thsi one. They failed badly. Microsoft does better with their service packs generally.

David

Steve passed on and it all falls apart!

Joking aside, thanks for the warning

Same here. I decided to let iTunes upgrade my iPad 2 while I went running. I returned to a bricked iPad. I believe that apple's authentication servers are currently overloaded. All three subsequent attempts to restore it failed. Apparently you can't restore without the consent of the mothership at apple...

All I can say is...."suck it fanboys!" :rofl:

Posted from my never bricked by an upgrade Droid.

A blog entry on PC world addresses this. http://www.pcworld.com/article/241806/did_ios_5_delete_your_apps_music_and_data_heres_help.html

Apple's iOS 5 is supposed to take the hassle out of updates and backups by handling it all automatically through iCloud. But to get iOS 5, you've still got to go through iTunes, and if something goes wrong, the update may erase your apps and data in the process.

This happened to me when updating my first-generation iPad from iOS 4.3 to iOS 5. After installing the new software and unplugging the iPad from my PC, most of my apps were gone--along with all my music, photos, and other data. If the furious Twitter chatter today is any indication, I'm not alone. Check a sample of the outrage:

ios5-deletion-twitter-5226196.jpg

The Solution

Fortunately, you don't have to go back to the App Store to your apps back. iTunes should be able to restore those apps and any other lost data. Here's how:
  • Plug your device back into your PC and open up iTunes.
  • Click on the device name (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) in the left-hand column.
  • Click on "Sync" or "Apply" in the bottom-right corner of the screen (see screenshot below). iTunes should begin restoring any data you had on the device.
  • Be patient. Syncing can take a very, very long time.
  • After restoring, iTunes may ask if you want to transfer purchased items back to iTunes. You must click "Transfer," or else those items will be deleted from your device.
itunesbackup-5226179.jpg

If You Are Just Starting the Process: Back Up!

If you haven't updated to iOS 5 yet, make sure you sync your device first by clicking on the device in the left-hand column of iTunes, then hitting the "Sync" button in the bottom right corner. That way, no matter what happens during installation, you'll still have everything backed up.
Once again, be patient. Lots of people are trying to download and install iOS5 now, and if you unplug your device too soon, it may only cost you more time undoing mistakes. I'm saying this from experience.

Boy I feel lucky today. I upgraded last night with no problems. The only confusing thing was when I plugged it in it asked me if I wanted to upgrade and I said ok. Then it gave me a warning about things not being transferred and asked if I wanted to continue. I said NO, then synched, then upgraded and all seems well. It all took less than 45 minutes, including the synch.

Started on the update for the iPad before reading all the problems. Too late now.... so I guess Ill see what happens.

Syncd and back-up is stored for a recovery. Then the iOS 5 install grabbed a 2nd backup.

Set my iPad up to update and left it. Came back much later had the messages about not restoring. iPad works fine still show 4.3.x. Guess I'll wait a couple of days.

Never a good idea to be first with a software upgrade.

I've previously upgraded the first day that last few times with no issues. Seems like they didn't think something through well.

My iPhone took over an hour and looked stuck for a while, but I let it go and it came out great. Since I switched to a Mac I don't automatically assume that a slow progress bar means it's locked up like I did with my windows machines.

iPad is going now... so far so good.

If you have a mobile me account use that email for your iCloud.

Mike

If you have a mobile me account use that email for your iCloud.

This blows. I have my "forever" AppleID and was given the MobileMe AppleID when I signed up for that. I'd much rather use the one all my media is associated with. Or Apple finally allows account merging. I've complained mightily to Apple about that stupidity.

As far as the upgrade goes, just wait a day -- millions of hits to a web farm (probably fronted by buggy Akamai during these big pushes) is a recipe for disaster for code that never likes waiting for minutes for https responses behind the scenes.

Use which ever you like. Apple extended the mobile accounts to next year for free and it transfers to iCloud. So for me using it keeps my expanded data at least until then... Not quite sure how it works with iCloud but did see a place to set up a subscription.

Mike

Yeah the problem I have is the MobileMe AppleID has mail, calendars, etc... AND is a "family" account with wife's MobileMe AppleID underneath it. She has her own mail, calendars, etc. Both calendars shared via MobileMe with each other.

Then there's the other two AppleIDs, mine and hers which we had long before the MM accounts that have all of our media in them.

If we use our MM accounts, our mail, calendars, etc... will work but we won't be able to upload media into the iCloud environment to sync it wirelessly.

If we pick the older media accounts, we'll probably have to pick new e-mail addresses at me.com and notify tons of people about e-mail change.

I really need a way to say "merge these two AppleIDs to merge my media/mail into one account and same thing for her two accounts.

From what I see it uses my mobile me account for Contacts Calendar (Wife to),... and my different apple id for my media sync

Mike

Of course that said I have all user names and passwords set in my iPhone and iPad for both media and contact sync, but it says I need to move my mobile me to iCloud on the web. when I log into mobile it says
"Due to high demand, we are temporarily limiting the number of users moving from MobileMe to iCloud. Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Mike

Thanks for heads-up. I've decided to observe for awhile before risking my iPad.

As evidence of my general lack of common sense, I upgraded my ipad 2 any way. No problems, though I did it pretty late at night, which has been my habit, since Apple's had server overload issues before.
-harry

I am in the process of upgrading to IOS5. I have MobileMe set up on my phone for the purpose of locating it. I can still keep it?

Right?

ok, phoen is fixed now. I deleted the backup it mace and let told it to sync my playlsit and apps. Only took a few minutes and all 1900 something songs were back, so they were never gone. Crappy upgrade procedure seems to be what happened.

Turned out ok but frustrating.

David

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS5 months ago. I had some issues at first but it's been stable for quite some time.

I tried updating the iPhone 4 on my WinXP desktop last night. First I upgraded iTunes to v10.5. The IOS upgrade took two hours to download. Then iTunes hung while the phone was backing up. I never could get it to complete a backup, and gave up on that approach.

I then tried the same on my Vista laptop. The IOS upgrade took about 10 minutes to download over my home wifi network (vs two hours on the desktop wired to the cable modem). The upgrade went off without a problem, but since I manage apps/music/etc. from the desktop, I had to reinstall the apps.

I haven't tried the iPad yet.

It seems that iTunes and Win XP don't get along well. I had the same no-backup problem a month or so ago after a Windows Update ran. I had to manually sync everything for a while until the next update came along and apparently fixed the issue.

I also tried to update to iTunes 10.5 this morning (by first launching iTunes 10.3.xx and selecting "Check for Updates"). Installer kept crashing and exiting for some reason. (PC's OS is WinXP Pro).

I de-installed iTunes and re-downloaded and installed. About 5-10 minutes to download and install and now on iTunes 10.5.

Currently backing up my iPhone 4 by "Transferring Purchases" from the phone to the PC. I've confirmed all of the music has transferred, now waiting on the app transfer to finish.

Once done, I plan to resynch one more time, then launch the iOS upgrade.

Hopefully this sequence will provide a safety net (I have the data on this hard drive) if something bricks the phone.

Ok I just installed IOS 5 on my Iphone. No real issues other than the need to manually synch apps and music. All apps appear to be functional.

After running a few fixes from the Apple foru, I finally got backups to run on iTunes on my desktop. That done, the iPad upgrade ran without any problems.

Started upgrades a couple hours ago. Mac was up, fired up iCloud stuff (decided to use the MobileMe Account, after doing some more reading), upgraded the iPhone, now waiting on the iPad which is synching everything automatically -- haven't had a single error. Nice.

Did the "Download Only" option and it was completed in about 45 mins.

Only bummer is the iCloud control panel for PC users is only for Vista or 7, not XP.

Took the plunge...was smooth and (knocking on wood) glitch-free. But I've been om it ll of five minutes

I'm going to wait until I get home, if not longer, since I'm using the iPhone tethered right now.

The nice thing is that from here on out all iOS updates will come over the air and install on the phone without you needing to hook to iTunes.

All seems well.

Have MM account as main iCloud but purchases and home sharing are set to the "media" AppleID. Would prefer to just completely merge them but Apple really doesn't have their stuff together in that regard.

IMessage looks interesting. Have it set up. No idea if it'll turn out to be useful.

Note that Twitter is now built-in, and go into Settings to make sure that's set up.

OTA updates look like you're going to have to go into Settings and hit the button.

Going to try out WiFi sync later. Looks useful.

Already love Notification Center. Note you should go into Settings and tell applications if they should use it or the old style of pop up stop-everything modal boxes. Lots of customizations possible there.

Sounds has a few new ones. Helpful.

Like the idea of iCloud storage. Not sure if I'll pay for it or not. Will see. Not paying for MM anymore so it's a wash. Online backups looks useful. Do need more than 55GB for all devices, though.

Not much else to report so far...

I started about 3:30am and was done before 4 with no problems. Still not sure I like iCloud though so I didn't activate it.

The one that makes me nervous is the new ability to find and remotely wipe a Mac with iCloud.

On the one hand, it'd be great to be able to remotely dump a machine I'd lost.

On the other hand, the hackers are going to have an utter field day with that one, eventually.

The one that makes me nervous is the new ability to find and remotely wipe a Mac with iCloud.
While your concerns make sense, I will report the "find my iphone" app to be very useful in finding my phone. Used it twice in the last week.

Sorta wish they would just build in "Listen for 3 sharp claps" rather than have me go home to fetch my iPad.

iClapper! You're a genius! :)

I don't mind the "find" part as much as someone hacking the "wipe" part. :)

"Apple users worldwide woke up today to find their computers had been wiped..."

iClapper! You're a genius! :)

I don't mind the "find" part as much as someone hacking the "wipe" part. :)

"Apple users worldwide woke up today to find their computers had been wiped..."

That's what I need, an app that sounds like VD...:rofl:

I was concerned with that aspect of iCloud as well as a couple others. I decided not to activate it or even go there from my computer. Apple annoys me enough already with iTunes.

Started upgrades a couple hours ago. Mac was up, fired up iCloud stuff (decided to use the MobileMe Account, after doing some more reading), upgraded the iPhone, now waiting on the iPad which is synching everything automatically -- haven't had a single error. Nice.

So Nate does this mean you upgraded to Lion as well?
I was not expecting to have to but it said I had to switch to iCloud. MacBook seems a bit slower now.

Mike

Back