iOS 9.1, any problems?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
My iDevices are asking to be updated to iOS 9.1

Anyone know of problems that would suggest waiting?

None so far. I have been on it for at least a week on both my phone and iPad.

I would also say none so far but I don't run Foreflight or any of the other common flight planning apps.

And I haven't seen any alerts from ForeFlight.

Hopefully that's a good sign.

Other than it being an Apple product? :D

No problem on any of our devices.

Still does not seem to correct some wonkiness I continue to have with text selection. And I would still like to see cursor keys on the iPad keyboard.

Still does not seem to correct some wonkiness I continue to have with text selection. And I would still like to see cursor keys on the iPad keyboard.

I'll confirm that selecting text (tap and hold) doesn't happen occasionally.

+1 to cursor keys.

I'd wait. Having big problems with apps crashing. If you don't have a distinct need to upgrade, don't.

Stable so far running WingX with Stratux unit

Just did a cross country,foreflight worked great,no problems with the update ,so far.

Haven't heard of any problems with Foreflight but IT person working in a Bank system advises that they are having significant problem with newest IOS and false triggering of user error alarms. I'm still holding off on using it w/ Foreflight because their general guidance is to do that until updated versions have proven "clean". If you like leading the pack, go ahead. Somebody has to do the Beta work.

Last edited:
No problems with 9.1 on an Air 2 with 128 gB. Going from 8 to 9 on my old iPad 3 with 16 gb, everything ran noticeably slower. I should have stayed at 8 on that one since the hardware can't take advantage of the new features anyway.

Aha! That explains why I've had a few dozen calls from clients whose iThings suddenly stopped sending mail over the past two days!

The clients who had problems also were established clients rather than recently-acquired ones, which was a bit of a deviation from the norm. Usually when these mystery mail problems arise with iThings, they're more equal opportunity. But now it makes sense.

The specific problem occurs with devices configured to use Port 465 for secure SMTP using SSL. That hasn't been an officially supported configuration for quite some time. Nonetheless, until recently, many email clients (apparently including Apple's) defaulted to it; and many mail servers (including any that I manage) continued to support it as a legacy configuration (mainly to avoid dealing with the tickets, quite frankly).

The problems I've been fielding for the past two days occur when the device changes the outgoing port to 587, which is now the correct port. Unfortunately, it leaves the encryption protocol configured as SSL rather than changing it to STARTTLS. SSL SMTP over 587 is not a supported configuration and never has been. Ipso facto, the outgoing mail no longer works.

The solution, of course, is to simply change the encryption protocol to STARTTLS to match the port change. That solves the problem. Changing the port back to 465 does NOT solve the problem. The device will change it back again. (Besides, it hasn't been a supported combination in years.)

Long story short, if your iThing suddenly can't send mail after having been able to send it before, make sure that you're configured to use SMTP over Port 587 using STARTTLS. That should solve the problem.

Rich

Found this nugget of info when reading an article on PCmag.com about iOS9.1

Two-Finger Text Select: Rather than select a word and drag the selector bar left or right, you can tap and hold with two fingers. The keyboard turns into a grayed-out trackpad. Drag anywhere on it to select the copy.​

As a matter of policy, I never upgrade an operating system unless I absolutely have to(unfortunately sometimes you do with Apple). This is true for all computers, but especially true for relatively weak(and quickly improving) systems like phones or tablets. The hardware is being updated very fast and the software is designed to work with a new hardware. The features of the new OS may be nice, but you will always pay a performance penalty.

From experience, for iOS, you can do one major update from the original with little performance degradation. The second one will be noticeably slower. And the third one will be the time you will go out and buy another phone because your old one became basically unusable.

So, unless I have to restore my phone for some reason, I never update beyond that first major.

Last edited:
Found this nugget of info when reading an article on PCmag.com about iOS9.1

Two-Finger Text Select: Rather than select a word and drag the selector bar left or right, you can tap and hold with two fingers. The keyboard turns into a grayed-out trackpad. Drag anywhere on it to select the copy.​

That's WAY cool, when it works.

1) Sometimes in Safari, I go to do that and moving my fingers drops it into tab mode instead.

2) My habit before posting is to tap and hold and then choosing "Select All" and copying. That way if something goes wrong as I post, I have the text in the clipboard. There are times now when "Select All" does not pop up.

3) If the last word you've typed is misspelled or unrecognized, it's hard or impossible to put the cursor to the right of that text - it just keeps highlighting the word.

4) It can be difficult to select just the text you want from a Safari page - often a much smaller or larger block is selected.

Like I said, general wonkiness that I keep hoping an update will address.

Last edited:
Don't update to 9.1 Wish I could go back to 8. On my iPad everything is slower. Seems often to be "stuck" and has crashed 30 times doing routine things. Not yet on ForeFlight thankfully. Suddenly the apple icon is on the screen as it boots again. (4th gen iPad, cellular + wifi, 64g)

Last edited:
Nothing different from other releases. Typical crApple SW cycle: fix nothing and break a lot more sh*t.
So there's no reason to wait for the next one because it WON'T be any better. :D

FWIW, the new broken stuff includes the notification screen, finger gestures, of course noticeably worse performance, typical email problems etc.

Isn't there something about alarms not working :dunno:

I made the mistake of updating overnight. it reset my alarm so it never went off. I was fortunate to wake up 20 minutes after I should have and made it to work, but they should warn you if the update is going to turn off alarms overnight!

Garmin pilot is fine, but I suggest updating apps before upgrading, otherwise you can mismatching support. I.e. The app may not correctly support v9

I'm still running 8.2 on both my Air and 4.

I think I'll stay right here thanks.

IPad2 updated and now my WiFi keeps dumping me off all the time. Apps running slower that usual. Safari crashing by the minute.

Is it me, or do you guys think Apple ducks up our older ipads to force a new purchase after get fed up with our current hardware getting ios rammerjammed?

9.1 seems ok on my new iPad Mini 4, though text selection does seem a little wonky at times. My full-size iPad 2 (2012 vintage), now relegated to backup duty, is still on iOS 7.1.2, and will stay there forever.

Is it me, or do you guys think Apple ducks up our older ipads to force a new purchase after get fed up with our current hardware getting ios rammerjammed?

Apple wants you to enjoy their product, but only for a little while. Then they want you to need a new one.

Last edited:
9.1 seems ok on my new iPad Mini 4, though text selection does seem a little wonky at times. My full-size iPad 2 (2012 vintage), now relegated to backup duty, is still on iOS 7.1.2, and will stay there forever.

Apple wants you to enjoy their product, but only for a little while. Then they want you to need a new one.

I only wish I had 7 back.....

Back