iOS 8

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I've yet to change my iPhone OS from 7 to 8.x. Have its initial bugs been sufficiently resolved so it's safe to change?

HR

Been wondering the same myself...my wife upgraded just as soon as she could. Getting irritating now because it seems like just about weekly a new update is out to fix a bug. I havent updated to 8 yet and will wait a while longer i think. Good luck with it if you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moe L. and Jeff: As Jeff posted, AT&T keeps "pop-up-ing" that I should change to 8.x but I remember the howls that were posted when it first was unveiled. Some of its new capabilities are beyond my needs, so I've stayed in a holding pattern. I'm also still running 7.3 on my iPad because of a few incompatible factors.

HR

Yep....i'm still in the 7's on my ipad as well for fear of incompatibility with some of my aviation related apps like foreflight, myE6b and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to 8 right way. No show-stoppers. Did 8.1 this morning on both iPad and iPhone this morning. So far, so good. Only frustration is my bank doesn't support Apple Pay...yet.

I went to 8 right away on my iPhone 5, then 8.1. I also went to Yosemite on my iMac and MacBook Air. In the middle of that I ditched my DSL provider and went to wireless. Then I bought an iPad mini2 which somehow automatically downloaded 8.1. With all these technology changes the only problem I have had so far is that Yosemite somehow unselected the checkbox for 24 hour clock so I had problems entering times until I figured it out. Oh, and I kept getting warnings about logins from new computers so I reset my main email password which ended up being a PITA but I finally got it changed everywhere. I probably didn't need to do that.

I upgraded to ios 8 and haven't encountered any big problems yet. Been playing with the siri identify song and its pretty cool.

Then I bought an iPad mini2 which somehow automatically downloaded 8.1.

Settings -> iTunes & App Store

(Might want to check all of your devices and make sure the things you want auto-downloaded and whether you want them to use your cellular data plan to do it, are set the way you like.)

38c98eef531c861b34d1cf539b8d844b.jpg

I wasn't unhappy that it automatically downloaded 8.1, just surprised. I see that the new mini was set up for automatic downloads, but not on cellular. It was connected to wifi at the time.

Just went out and got the Ipad Air 2, Best buy giving a $200 trade in value for my Ipad 2. So far I like it. The OS runs smooth. I think apple starts pushing you into a corner with the OS upgrades. They have more and more bugs on older apple prodicts. So upgrade and deal with bugs, or buy a new device. And apple seems to get every year. At least microsoft does it slowly over a longer period of time.

Just went out and got the Ipad Air 2, Best buy giving a $200 trade in value for my Ipad 2. So far I like it. The OS runs smooth. I think apple starts pushing you into a corner with the OS upgrades. They have more and more bugs on older apple prodicts. So upgrade and deal with bugs, or buy a new device. And apple seems to get every year. At least microsoft does it slowly over a longer period of time.

I'll be picking up an Air2 soon, I did not know BB had them in stock.
I have a Gen 1 iPad, no trade in value. :nonod: :sad::nonod:

They had them, Just not the whole selection, they had the 16gb in black but not white, they had the 64gb in white but not black, etc. but it varied from store to store. I had prolems because on long island BB only honors trade ins that were bought at best buy, but right over the border in queens that rule doesn't apply, go figure.

One of my grandchildren lost all progress on her minecraft game after upgrading to 8. Life as we know it is ended.

d69ab151f0390dabf2b40d69a09b71ee.jpg

I got soooooo lucky when Target did that $200 rebate on ANY iPad! Heh. I was on that like stink on kimchee.

How's the screen on the new iPad Air 2. Is the glare really reduced they much.

Downloaded 8 to my iPad 2 suffering from frozen screen when browsing now...
My iPad mini on 8 works just fine

Nate's picture reminded me of the old "What if Microsoft built cars..." bullet list from years ago...

IF MICROSOFT BUILT CARS.....

1. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.
  2. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.
  3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have to re-install the engine. For some strange reason, you would accept this too.
  4. You could only have one person in the car at a time, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would have to buy more seats.
  5. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
  6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive - but would only run on 5 percent of the roads.
  7. The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.
  8. The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.
  9. The airbag system would say "are you sure?" before going off.
  10. If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened.

Downloaded 8 to my iPad 2 suffering from frozen screen when browsing now...
My iPad mini on 8 works just fine

Even 8.1 still hangs on me in the middle of auto-complete, very annoying.
Safari hangs for me too while I'm posting replies to PoA. Ipad2

I went to 8 right away on my iPhone 5, then 8.1. I also went to Yosemite on my iMac and MacBook Air. In the middle of that I ditched my DSL provider and went to wireless. Then I bought an iPad mini2 which somehow automatically downloaded 8.1. With all these technology changes the only problem I have had so far is that Yosemite somehow unselected the checkbox for 24 hour clock so I had problems entering times until I figured it out. Oh, and I kept getting warnings about logins from new computers so I reset my main email password which ended up being a PITA but I finally got it changed everywhere. I probably didn't need to do that.
How's your phone? I still have 7 on my i5.

Safari hangs for me too while I'm posting replies to PoA. Ipad2

How's your phone? I still have 7 on my i5.

Phone seems normal. I don't normally use Safari on my phone to post on POA but I'm doing it right now with no problem.

Phone seems normal. I don't normally use Safari on my phone to post on POA but I'm doing it right now with no problem.
What are you using?

Anyone having any Foreflight issues after the upgrade? FF said they were iOS 8 compatible.

I wouldn't upgrade anything critical for a while. 8.0, 8.01 and 8.02 crippled my iPad Mini Retina. I jumped on 8.1 and it is better, but seems quite a bit slower than 7.1.2. At least it connects and stays connected now, but the wifi connection measures slower than before. I wish I could go back to 7.

The first upgrade to 8.01 was a clusterf*ck (iPhone 4S). System got slow, I was dropping apps etc. The upgrade to 8.1 fixed a lot of those issues, though system still seems slower than the 7.X version I was running before.

Not upgrading the iPad until I'm satisfied that all issues have been resolved.

Back