IOS 8.3 Breaks the Dual 150 and Bad Elf

Hi all,

Just a quick update from the Bad Elf team. Still no official word from Apple, but we've gotten some strong hints from other sources that the issue has been fixed and should appear in the next iOS update. We don't know if this will be a 8.3.1 or 8.4 beta release -- hopefully the former.

We'll do a blast as soon as an update appears and we're able to confirm the issue is resolved.

Thanks for your continued patience, and sorry for the hassle.

Best regards,
Brett

I m happily back to my iPhone 3 with Foreflight 5.6.1 :goofy::goofy:
Works without any problems since several years.
The progress in cyberspace overtakes us:rofl:

And that despite all these smart developers who MEAN

So well:yikes:

Any new updates? Very frustrating! I tried rolling back to 8.2...no dice unless I totally wanted to brick my pad and start over. I'm so mad at myself for upgrading the iOS. I never learn. I never saw an answer to the question...any sweet deals from Bad Elf to trade in useless receivers to get something that works? Hey Dual...firmware updates to keep us from trading our useless fishing weights in?

It feels like Apple has left us out to dry. We'll have to wait for 8.4 to be released and cross our fingers that they fixed the problem. If, however, this is a protocol that they want to stop using, we're all screwed. I don't think any of the DUAL units use the new protocol and the only Bad Elf that does is fairly expensive. Then there's the $900 Status 2, which i'm surprised hasn't come down in price

Just listed my Dual 150 on eBay and pulled the trigger on a gps pro plus. I can't wait for Apple or Dual.

WingX has a gps walk around for the ipad with ios 8.3 listed on its site, Not sure if it works.

It broke more than just that. My Bluetooth headsets do not work correctly either.

Apple is now preventing people from downgrading to IOS 8.2, so it looks like we'll have to wait for 8.4 to be released around June 8th.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/04/apple-stops-ios-82-code-signing-prevents-downgrades-from-ios-83

Looks like I got in just under the wire!

The change was pointed out by various developers on Twitter such as Steve Troughton-Smith. Apple regularly stops signing older versions of iOS once there are no longer any worries about an update causing major security or functional problems.

I think there is a difference of opinion on that score.

Last edited:
I am currently beta testing iOS 8.4 beta 3 and it appears that the bug has been fixed. I currently have a Dual XGPS150A and everything appears to be working correctly in Fore Flight. Anyone else having luck?

I am currently beta testing iOS 8.4 beta 3 and it appears that the bug has been fixed. I currently have a Dual XGPS150A and everything appears to be working correctly in Fore Flight. Anyone else having luck?

Thank you so much for the update. i was hesitant to participate in the beta program, so i'm thankful you took the risk and confirmed the fix.

Woot!

Any updates on this?
Looks like there is some evidence that iOS 8.4 will fix this, and it will be released in late June.

That's weird... you set it so it SHOULDN'T EVER ("NEVER") get location information--and then it DOES get your location information?? Sounds like the iOS fix is "remove the negate operator from that function check..."

!(location_services_enabled)

:yikes:

No, I think that this app can either use a direct API to read location from a gos, or it can simply pass through the Apple Location Services API.

So, by turning off the location services, you force direct Ali access.

While i had hoped IOS 8.4 would be released today, i found this post shortly after the Apple keynote:

"Apple has announced Apple Music will arrive on June 30 with the arrival of iOS 8.4."

So, June 30th seems to be the release date.

I'm rather surprised this didn't come as an incremental "bug fix" release.

I'm rather surprised this didn't come as an incremental "bug fix" release.

Me too. I wonder how many other apps etc are affected by this? If it's only a small number of people then they probably don't care.

Back