iOS 7.1

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Anyone installed it? I think it showed up on my iPad yesterday but I haven't installed.

Yup, no issues so far other than the cosmetic changes I have seen.

David

Yeah, works fine with all my stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It broke my XPlane iPhone version on my iPad (bought the app before the iPad and just use it at 2x resolution). It keeps the time/signal strength/battery display on the screen so I can't use any of the menus. Otherwise, no other issues yet.

Loaded it earlier this week on everything, and yawned. Nothing that interesting.

Working fine for me,on the I Pad and I Phone.

Well, I installed it this morning. Like David, I've thus far noticed nothing except a few cosmetic changes, mostly to the keyboard.

Adult looking icons.

Now THAT'S important! ;)

I'm not too concerned about how the icons look, but the change to the "send" and "end" buttons for phone calls on the iPhone are horrible.

JKG

They made the buttons for ending phone calls smaller. That's dumb. I'm poking at it with a thumb while not looking.

Why make it target practice? GUI designers love doing this.

They made the buttons for ending phone calls smaller. That's dumb. I'm poking at it with a thumb while not looking.

Why make it target practice? GUI designers love doing this.

I suspect they did it to decrease issues' where people's face hangs the phone up when the face proximity sensor isn't working perfectly. Strong possibility they determined they'd save a **** load of money on face proximity sensor repairs by doing so.

Updating the iPad now. Unless someone has a strong YES opinion on something it does for the iPhone 4, I'll stick with my older iOS

I discovered one great improvement...

The last version of iOS on my iPad would not allow me to store my hotmail username and password so I had to enter BOTH every time I checked my email. (Apple-Microsoft hate games?).

It was a PITA

7.1 allows me to store it and I don't have to go through the BS any longer.

I discovered one great improvement...

The last version of iOS on my iPad would not allow me to store my hotmail username and password so I had to enter BOTH every time I checked my email. (Apple-Microsoft hate games?).

It was a PITA

7.1 allows me to store it and I don't have to go through the BS any longer.

Never attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by incompetence - Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook Online (or whatever the hell they call their hosted email) have similar problems. Internet Explorer will remember the login info but Microsoft Online won't accept it. It's a royal PITA and all internal to Micr$loth.

I've never had the problem on anything but my iPad, Clark. I have both a Hotmail and Outlook e-mail account, both for trash collection and I never have to enter my credentials for either on any other machine or using any other browser.

:dunno:

I suspect they did it to decrease issues' where people's face hangs the phone up when the face proximity sensor isn't working perfectly. Strong possibility they determined they'd save a **** load of money on face proximity sensor repairs by doing so.

My prox sensor is crap. Wasn't so much hang ups as it was attempting FaceTime calls to people while the phone was up to my head.

Updating the iPad now. Unless someone has a strong YES opinion on something it does for the iPhone 4, I'll stick with my older iOS

iOS 7.1 supposedly provides a noticeable improvement in responsiveness for the iPhone 4.

JKG

See my other thread. Bricked iPad. Not doing the iPhone.

I have done the iPad mini and iPhone 5. Can't say I care for the smaller buttons.

Since I have an appointment with my local Apple store to visit the "Genius Bar" to look at my bricked Ipad, I figure I might as well brick the Iphone as well so I did the update to it. It took. Can't tell any difference yet so far.

Since I have an appointment with my local Apple store to visit the "Genius Bar" to look at my bricked Ipad, I figure I might as well brick the Iphone as well so I did the update to it. It took. Can't tell any difference yet so far.

I'm surprised that you couldn't recover the iPad using a DFU restore. I had to do that once on my original iPad, but haven't had a software update issue since.

JKG

I'm surprised that you couldn't recover the iPad using a DFU restore. I had to do that once on my original iPad, but haven't had a software update issue since.

JKG

No life whatsoever. Won't take a charge. Won't respond in any shape or fashion. Tried plugging it in to multiple computers, charging it from the wall charger, attempting the DFU mode, nothing.

One thing that may have contributed is that it did have a low charge on the battery when did the update. I actually installed a USB driver override on my computer and it has no problem charging the Ipad under normal circumstances, but maybe it failed to charge it during the time it was plugged in for the update. Never been an issue with the phone.

No life whatsoever. Won't take a charge. Won't respond in any shape or fashion. Tried plugging it in to multiple computers, charging it from the wall charger, attempting the DFU mode, nothing.

One thing that may have contributed is that it did have a low charge on the battery when did the update. I actually installed a USB driver override on my computer and it has no problem charging the Ipad under normal circumstances, but maybe it failed to charge it during the time it was plugged in for the update. Never been an issue with the phone.

Are you sure that it's dead, and that the backlight just isn't out? I think the one time I did a DFU restore the backlight was out, and it required a bright ambient light to see the image on the screen. Can't remember all the details, though.

I noticed that iOS 7 will not permit a firmware update with less than 50% battery life remaining, unless the device is plugged in to a charger. If you were attempting to charge a low battery through a PC USB port while applying the update, the iPad may have been consuming more power than the USB port was able to provide, resulting in a negative rate of charge. If that was the case, the iOS update fail-safe obviously has a flaw in its power validation process.

JKG

Are you sure that it's dead, and that the backlight just isn't out? I think the one time I did a DFU restore the backlight was out, and it required a bright ambient light to see the image on the screen. Can't remember all the details, though.

I noticed that iOS 7 will not permit a firmware update with less than 50% battery life remaining, unless the device is plugged in to a charger. If you were attempting to charge a low battery through a PC USB port while applying the update, the iPad may have been consuming more power than the USB port was able to provide, resulting in a negative rate of charge. If that was the case, the iOS update fail-safe obviously has a flaw in its power validation process.

JKG

Just got back from Apple. They ran it through all the diagnostics and confirmed it's FUBAR.

I'm updating my Foreflight database on the new Ipad 4 as we speak.

You need a "genius" to tell you that. :)

You need a "genius" to tell you that. :)

Marketing. When you see "Genius" in Apple literature, replace with "person who can get you free ****" and behave accordingly. :)

When I had problems with my first original MacBook I was really really angry that I needed an "appointment" for some "Genius Bar" to "give them their broken #***%}^+ POS back."

I was used to having to play the angry customer card just to get attention at other retailers.

I luckily had friends who had secret decoder rings, who told me to STFU, make the appointment, and be nice. Walked out with a brand new machine ten minutes after walking in. Restarted the warranty too.

I've had three or four major and minor problems since then with their products, and *every* time I've followed their rules and shown up at a "Genius" Bar, I've walked away better off than I should have expected.

One time they noticed a tiny almost invisible crack on an iPhone near a power connector and said, "That's a known factory defect. I know it's not why you're here, but do you want a new phone?"

Knowing that lithium ion batteries have a lifespan that diminishes with charge cycles, the answer was "sure!" New battery, and pretty non-scratched screen for free? Absolutely. Thanks.

So folks make fun of their marketing names or get all up in arms about whatever business practices they don't like, but as long as I'm within 100 miles of an Apple Store and they continue to make everything right when I walk in with a problem...

That's (maybe sadly) so much better than thousands of other retailers out there...

Do you pay for it? Absolutely. The stuff isn't cheap. It isn't outrageous either when they just handle it when something goes wrong.

And nowadays they'll do it with a pre-paid shipping box, often with one or two day turnaround. We did that with a wireless Bluetooth keyboard that died. Three days. One to ship the box to us, one to ship it back, a third to receive the refurb/like new replacement, all free.

Updated the phone, haven't seen any issues yet. Haven't bothered on the iPad yet.

One thing to note for those of you who haven't upgraded: Check the version you're on. If it's prior to 7.0.6 or 6.1.6 (for those of you still on iOS 6), be sure you either upgrade to 7.1 or don't visit any secure web sites - There was a security flaw that was patched by 7.0.6/6.1.6 (fix is, of course, still present in 7.1.)

I updated my iPhone 5, and it munged up all of my app settings, etc. Serious pain. But, I see no battery life issues- the 5 has excellent battery life.

I read that some are complaining that 7.1 is a battery hog, or worse.

battery usage seems unchanged.

I see no battery life issues- the 5 has excellent battery life.

I'm wondering if these "battery life issues" aren't being caused by the people who always wait for the .1 version before upgrading. iOS 7 has some features that are designed to make things snappier by predicting what you'll do in advance, and that requires much-increased background processing for the first few days after first installing iOS 7. If there's a lot of people who waited for the .1 version to upgrade, they're just now experiencing what the rest of us were done with long ago, and in a few days they'll be fine.

Of course, a lot of "issues" with any Apple product are simply the result of link bait, with breathless "journalists" trying to write any article critical of Apple because they know it'll be seized upon by the haters, spread far and wide, and make them a lot of money, regardless of its "truthiness".

Battery still needs constant charging here, just like it has on every smartphone for 10 years. If you aren't using it, it's on a charger. House, car, wherever.

These things aren't dumb flip phones that'll run for a week without charging, and never will be unless they make them the size of the ol' Moto analog brick phone.

Battery life complaints fall on deaf ears around here. Let me know when you can claim to only charge it once a month under typical usage, and someone proves it'll only last a week. Then they can call it a problem.

My iPad Mini Retina can go all day without a charge, and with pretty heavy use.

Been on it about an hour today (on WiFi) and it's showing 95%.

But cell coverage uses a lot more power.

Someone on TWIT mentioned a few days ago they would gladly pay $100 more to get an iPhone with twice the battery and not mind increased thickness to get it.

Apple obviously is obsessed with thinness and lightness above all else. I think it's silly, especially since my phones go in clunky OtterBox cases anyway.

BTW, a company named Mophie makes cases with built-in batteries. For those away from convenient charging all day, that could be a way to go.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-5

Someone on TWIT mentioned a few days ago they would gladly pay $100 more to get an iPhone with twice the battery and not mind increased thickness to get it.

I was gonna say, that sounds like a...

BTW, a company named Mophie makes cases with built-in batteries. For those away from convenient charging all day, that could be a way to go.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-5

...Mophie. It's a lot easier to use one of those and increase battery life and thickness than it is to cut a twice-as-thick-with-better-battery-life iPhone in half. ;)

FWIW, I've never had a problem with any of my iPhones (original, 3Gs, 4s, 5s) lasting all day on a single charge - I even had one last a whole 4-day weekend once when I forgot my charger. Battery life is fine.

Back