IO 550 boost pump usage

On reflection, I think that maybe this problem is endemic to ALL FI systems.

For instance, our Jeep, our Element and our Flex are all fuel injected and each requires its own particular technique for a successful start without flooding, especially when hot.

Oh, wait...

...they don't! You just turn the key and they start.

There's another thread about what's happening to GA. This thread may be part of the problem.

We may pride ourselves in mastering the technique for starting our engines, but in 2015 the vast majority of folks out there are used to things just starting. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "It should just start!"

I'll bet this level of technique and mastery just to get an engine to start and run is off-putting to many. Its really quite inexcusable.

Oh, well, so it goes...
I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm just getting back into flying after a 15+ yr haitus and although I'm pleased with the progress that the industry has made in avionics and situational awareness, mechanically it seems we're stuck.

I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm just getting back into flying after a 15+ yr haitus and although I'm pleased with the progress that the industry has made in avionics and situational awareness, mechanically it seems we're stuck.

Not in the experimental arena......

We can and do fix 70 year old technology....:yes::yes:;)

Not really, Continental has a FADEC replacement ready for all their engines, you just have to buy it.

Back