IO-470 Power Settings

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
There have been some posts about certain RPM setting to avoid when you are flying behind an IO-520. I'm wondering if the same cautions apply to the IO-470? I am often very happy to run 55-65% power. Some articles by Mike Busch suggest running lower RPM / higher MP settings is a good approach - I think this is referred to as "oversquare". My POH says running 2200 RPM / 24" MP gives me 65% at 5000 ft. the idea of the prop turning slow is certainly appealing, but what experience have you guys had? Are there any sweet spots? Any combinations to stay away from?

Consult the manual for your specific airplane and engine, of course. But for an example, here's the MP/RPM diagram from the POH for my old K35 Bonanza (IO-470-C). I felt the best balance of performance, efficiency and smoothness in that airplane was around 2300 rpm. YMMV.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 9.43.53 PM.png

Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense - find a setting that feels the smoothest.

I use "Don't get more than 5" of manifold different" guideline. So you can do 2000 rpm with 25" of manifold for most oversquare. Its the same as running a car in high gear and high throttle setting as in pulling a hill in high gear and flooring it. Lug it. Doesn't hurt a thing. Saves on gas. Might hurt something if you overdo it. Seems a little weird. So limit it by some common sense amount. 2000/25" is plenty oversquare. Stick to that or less than 5 you will be OK.

I run mine where it runs with the least vibration. Tried them all and have two that are the smoothest so I use those. Others work too.

Back