IO-360 conversion

Skyhawk4754

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Willie
Anybody here have any info on where I can start to research the conversion for my 1957 c-172 from o-300 to and continental io-360?

Anybody here have any info on where I can start to research the conversion for my 1957 c-172 from o-300 to and continental io-360?

I was piddling around on the net just now and found an outfit called XP Mods that's supposed to do those conversions. Went to their site and it's still listed as 'under construction, check back soon'. Didn't run across anything else worth mentioning.

You might want to check out the Cessna 170 group (www.cessna170.org). There is at least one person on there that has converted a 170 to handle the IO-360. He might be able to give you some ideas of who to talk to.

I used to own a '57 172 and still would if I could have made it a cabable IFR platform. I loved the o-300. Smoothest engine out there.

Good luck with the conversion but I hope you're not dissapointed.

J.D.Benham (Pipe Creek Tx) was the first IO-360 STC holder, he still owns the STC and will sell plans and engineering to do the conversion. Tom Anderson (Yakama Wa.) also will sell the plans, parts and STC to do his conversion.

Both are in the phone books.

The IO-360 makes the 170/172 an awesome aircraft

What is the status of Mr. Anderson (XP Mods)? He seems to have had difficulties there for a while...

He has moved over to Yakama and has a pretty nice facility, but the XP mods for the 170/172 is one of his lesser products, his landing gear and tail wheel mods are the bread and butter of his pay day.

His web page is down now, I suspect the move and new Service provider.

I wonder if you wouldn't be money ahead to sell what you have and buy a Hawk XP if that's what you want...

Trapper John

From the recent Cessna 170 Assocciation newsletter:

"Perhaps you meant the Continental IO-360. That is
a great engine and it makes a great performer for high altitude and short takeoffs.
Unfortunately XP Mods, the most likely STC holder has lost approval for PMA parts
and it is unknown when/if they will go back into production due to a personal divorce
situation.
Your next best bet is the Lycoming O-360 (180 hp) and Harry Dellicker (Del Air,
Porterville, CA) can assist you. He is very familiar and he owns the STC and can
advise you on the modification."

I have a 1957 172 O-360 cs prop. Fun plane and can get in an out pretty darn short. Much better performance than later model 172's.

I would not try the XP mod for it will never happen on the 172. I tried but would not come together. and much more expensive.

I can give you a good idea of cost Engine $20000, Stc $6000, Prop $5000. Labor $5000-$10000. So you can get $40000 in the conversion REAL FAST.

But the value of my plane has gone down in the last year. it is worth much less than I have invested.

Sale Your Plane And Go buy a straight tail 182 you will have great shortfield,
Faster, Smoother running, Burns auto gas!!!!!! Some great deals out there right now.

Good luck

Jon

Back