Invalid userID is 0

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Anyone else getting this error from Tapatalk, only in the Unread Messages tab, when you attempt to refresh the list?

Started for me tonight a couple hours ago.

Unread message flags in Forums still work, all other features okay. Just won't show Unread Messages on that tab.

Seemed to start after I got my Unread message count down to zero, if that helps with debugging or reproducing the error.

Using both iPhone and iPad Tapatalk clients. Happening on both. Wasn't happening earlier today.

Screenshot.

4b94241c-1f5c-8c4b.jpg

Just noticed the Latest -> All tab also stopped working this evening on the same page.

4b94241c-239a-b23b.jpg

The Latest -> Participated tab, works.

More info since I like bug hunting.

Pressing the "Mark Read" button on the empty Unread Messages tab stopped the error on that tab.

The error persists even if you hit "Mark Read" on the empty "All" tab on the "Latest" page.

Fascinating bug.

Cleared up today for me. Who knows?

I mostly got interested since UID 0 is a fun thing to be on a Unix box. ;)

Hope it's not a sign of an overflow or bounds-checking error in something running as root.

That usually leads to sysadmin 1AM suffering, etc. ;)

Remained "happy" when I got the Unread posts down to zero again, which I thought maybe triggered it the first time.

If there's a Sysadmin behind the scenes makin' changes to this, I will gladly buy you a beer. And since mist sysadmins are opportunists and you'll say you did anyway, I'll just buy you a beer anyway whether you did or not. ;)

Hope it's not a sign of an overflow or bounds-checking error in something running as root.

It seems to come and go. I had it for a while too and then it went away. Then last week it came back again for a couple of hours. There has been little in the way of data to report to help the PoA help desk troubleshoot so I have not really posted much about it. Jason had said he did an update recently and I had hoped that the problem would have gone away. But it may be related to something else.

Nothing is running as root, nor have we been making any changes. It's either a bug in their app or a bug in their vbulletin mod that adds an api for their app.

Cool. No problem. Seems happy now. Sorry it's so buggy.

It's the way of software "engineering" these days. Keeps us support folks in plenty of work, so we thank the engineers for their bugs. ;)

Cool. No problem. Seems happy now. Sorry it's so buggy.

It's the way of software "engineering" these days. Keeps us support folks in plenty of work, so we thank the engineers for their bugs. ;)

Keeps happening to me.. every night overnight while I'm working the graveyard... and this is the only forum its giving me grief...

Happening again today to me.

Tapatalk forum says it's fixed in the latest VB plugin. Didn't give version number. (dumb)

Date on the post was June 25, 2001.

I just upgraded tapatalk (again). Let me know if this stops happening.

I've never seen that error with the Android Tapatalk software. Just tried the various iterations described above.

Refreshing has never worked for me, nor completely killing the App. Even rebooted the phone once, just to see "if"...

Today it's working again. I should sniff the traffic and see what's different between a good day and a bad day.

Did that today at work to find an LDAP problem. God I love the folks at Wireshark! There it was, clear as day...

"Your app is trying to issue an LDAP v3 command after binding to my OpenLDAP server as an LDAP v2 client."

(Crickets...)

"Okay have fun fixing that. Let us know when we can expect a patch. We'll look for that info by Wednesday since it's a holiday weekend. Enjoy the holiday! Bye!" ;)

Ha. Same here.

As soon as I got down to all posts read with a clear screen and refreshed. Error.

Interesting little bugger, he is!

The Tapatalk authors said this after I described the problem on their forum...

"I can not reproduce this problem on your forum.
However, I can image it should be related to banned user or deleted user in those threads.
We'll take care of this problem."

Sounds like there will be another rev of the plug-in eventually, PoA admins. ;)

(And no I have no idea how they attempted to reproduce it. And it's not "my" forum. Ha.)

The Tapatalk authors said this after I described the problem on their forum...

"I can not reproduce this problem on your forum.
However, I can image it should be related to banned user or deleted user in those threads.
We'll take care of this problem."

Sounds like there will be another rev of the plug-in eventually, PoA admins. ;)

(And no I have no idea how they attempted to reproduce it. And it's not "my" forum. Ha.)

Nate,

If you have a thread open with them, could you tell them that a member of your forum just had it happen while trying to refresh the thread list. :)

I was on the "unread" tab and had just pulled it up to load more threads.

attachment.php

Attachments

• POAuserID0.png
    POAuserID0.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
So I was getting this error today as well. When refreshing unread. Actually Tapatalk spontaneously crashed (seems to happen very frequently)... But I think this just confused the issue... I initially thought that it had something to do with the crash leaving something in a funky state...

I was reading forums on my iPhone using the unread interface. Put the phone to sleep... Then hopped on a plane from Miami to Chicago.... Resumed from sleep... Crash... And then this invalid user 0 error kept happening...

It was the time change causing the error. Once my clock moved far enough forward... Things started working again.

So I was getting this error today as well. When refreshing unread. Actually Tapatalk spontaneously crashed (seems to happen very frequently)... But I think this just confused the issue... I initially thought that it had something to do with the crash leaving something in a funky state...

I was reading forums on my iPhone using the unread interface. Put the phone to sleep... Then hopped on a plane from Miami to Chicago.... Resumed from sleep... Crash... And then this invalid user 0 error kept happening...

It was the time change causing the error. Once my clock moved far enough forward... Things started working again.

I've started seeing it on my Droid, now, too...

Been on the purple board using same phone and app. Lots of posts. Hasn't happened a single time there for me.

Yesterday morning it was happening again... There was no obvious reason. I also have never experienced this problem with the purple board.

Happens to me every couple days on this board. Using iPod touch.

I just finished upgrading to the newest version of tapatalk and it happened again.

Maybe next time :(

The Purple Board has almost no member requested customizations. We have many. We've hacked the hell out of this board per your requests.

It's not apples/oranges. They're still running vB 3.7.1 which is an OLD version of the software.

The Purple Board has almost no member requested customizations. We have many. We've hacked the hell out of this board per your requests.

It's not apples/oranges. They're still running vB 3.7.1 which is an OLD version of the software.
I understand and knew that. I was just pointing it out because it starts to point at PoA and not Tapatalk as being where the difficulty is. The previous post had mentioned that he had upgraded versions and it did not help, that too could indicate a direction.

What's the purple board?
Another pilot board that uses a purple color scheme.

So named because the founders came from the Red Board (AOPA) and the Blue Board (PoA)

http://www.purpleboard.net/forums/index.php

That board can be described as a whimsical collection of lobster roll and cookie eating pilots that have a flying problem. A lot of us frequent both places and often have social events of a multi-color yet colorblind make up.

Ah thanks!!

Been wondering for a long time. Finally got tired of waiting for someone else to ask! :)

I just upgraded the tapatalk again. Please report back here if it happens again and I'll post in their forums to see what we can figure out.

Thanks, again, for your patience everyone.

Just for info, not complaining... Was happening a couple of days ago. Trick on the iPhone seems to be to never leave the App running in the background. Truly kill it off when you're done, and there seems to be less incident of this... not 100% a fix, but it does seem to help...

Since you just updated yesterday, I'll let ya know how it's going. Didn't have any time to play today from the phone. It was "move Linux from one machine to another" day at the data center, complete with completely dissimilar hardware in the CPU and hardware RAID realms... ahh, the joys of imaging machines, then booting from rescue images and making new initrd images so the kernel can actually find the drive it just booted from.

So far so good Jesse. No errors since the latest upgrades of both the forum and the iPhone app. :D

Back