Introductory Flight

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
I heard this story and thought I'd share...

The flight school offered an $80 introductory flight. A one hour flight with about an hour of ground instruction. A guy comes in interested in the deal and sits through the hour of ground. The instructor goes over the principles of flight and describes the flight controls and what they do. The entire time the student is just sitting there not looking very interested.

Finally the hour of ground instruction is up and the instructor, dismayed suggests they go flying. Maybe getting into the air will pump some excitement into this guy.

No luck. They do a walk around and the guy just walks with the instructor asking no questions and is obviously not really into it. They get the plane fired up and head out the the training area and still the guy does as he's asked but shows no interest in whats going on.

The instructor shrugs it off and they head back. On the way the guy asks the instructor, "so when do I get my $80? When we land or do they mail it to me?"

Nice. Was wondering what the punchline was going to be. Wonder if they bothered to charge him for it.

I heard this story and thought I'd share...

The flight school offered an $80 introductory flight. A one hour flight with about an hour of ground instruction. A guy comes in interested in the deal and sits through the hour of ground. The instructor goes over the principles of flight and describes the flight controls and what they do. The entire time the student is just sitting there not looking very interested.

Finally the hour of ground instruction is up and the instructor, dismayed suggests they go flying. Maybe getting into the air will pump some excitement into this guy.

No luck. They do a walk around and the guy just walks with the instructor asking no questions and is obviously not really into it. They get the plane fired up and head out the the training area and still the guy does as he's asked but shows no interest in whats going on.

The instructor shrugs it off and they head back. On the way the guy asks the instructor, "so when do I get my $80? When we land or do they mail it to me?"

:lol: That isn't where I thought you were going with it. I remember in Chuck Yeager's book him telling about Bob Hoover posing as a beginning student at a nearby flight school because the instructor was a really nice looking lady.

He went for the introductory flight and after they were in the air he started doing aerobatics which initially scared the instructor until she figured out that she'd been had.

As lame as some people are these days, coupled with some of them having an entitlement mentality, your story is not a huge surprise. My Dad used to say "It takes all kinds." In more recent years I've decided that it doesn't TAKE all kinds, but there indeed ARE all kinds.

So did he end up paying for it?

My recollection is the guy did pay in the end. I think they take the money upfront now though.

Back