Introductions and cheer

charleszink

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charles
Hey everyone,

Figured I would drop in and introduce myself. I'm sure you'll be hearing plenty from me over at Pilots Training. About a year and a half ago I started working on my PPL and got about 3-4 hours in before life and weather got in the way. Life has been a bit crazy since then, but I finally have the time and money to fly again.

My first flight is tomorrow morning and I'm scheduled every weekday morning with my awesome CFI until I get this damn license! Flying has always been an interest of mine since I was young and I'm really excited to get back into the air.

Looking forward to talking with all of you, and stay safe!

If you have all the money you need to finish your training and you plan to fly ever week day until you are ready for your check ride then you are doing the right thing. That's the way I did mine and I started training in Mid May 1984 and took my check ride at the end of July 1984. I flew every week day that weather would allow and when it came to my cross countries I did some weekend flying, especially for my long cross country. I had 43 hours of time in when I took and passed my check ride.

The more often you fly while in training the more you will retain. I remember my instructor tell me that those students that flew once or twice a week were lucky to retain 1/4 of what they learned.

Welcome to POA!

Welcome!

Let us know how the flight goes.

Have fun. There is some real nice flying around you.

If you feel so inclined, look up your local CAP squadron. There are some good people up there, and they have an airplane assigned. You can learn a LOT about flying from training for the mission observer (right seat) position, much of it free or subsidized (at least to you). You do not need to be any kind of pilot to fly right or back seat, except for certain types of photo missions (where the right seat is a safety pilot, so you need a private pilot certificate).

Squadron 126 (Redding Municipal) seems to be looking for aircrew positions now.

I remember my instructor tell me that those students that flew once or twice a week were lucky to retain 1/4 of what they learned.

Thanks for the welcome Jean! My instructor told me the same thing when I started and I learned the expensive way that once or twice a week just doesn't cut it. I'm 100% commited to doing this and -- time permitting -- I'm on about the same schedule you are. Hoping to have my PPL by the end of March / early April.

Have fun. There is some real nice flying around you.

If you feel so inclined, look up your local CAP squadron. There are some good people up there, and they have an airplane assigned. You can learn a LOT about flying from training for the mission observer (right seat) position, much of it free or subsidized (at least to you). You do not need to be any kind of pilot to fly right or back seat, except for certain types of photo missions (where the right seat is a safety pilot, so you need a private pilot certificate).

Squadron 126 (Redding Municipal) seems to be looking for aircrew positions now.

Thanks, and I agree the scenery around here is beautiful no matter which direction you head. And thanks for the CAP tip! I will definitely look into that.

Full disclosure -- I'm a recruiting and retention officer for a different CAP squadron in California. Always willing to help out our buddies in Redding. They get left out of a lot of stuff due to their remoteness (most of the NorCal activities are in the Sacramento and Oakland areas).

There is some significant hassle to getting started, but it's a lot of fun once you do. As Redding is a composite squadron (meaning cadets and adults), you can get involved with cadet activities if you want. Emergency Services are largely separate.

Welcome and Good Luck with the training.

Full disclosure -- I'm a recruiting and retention officer for a different CAP squadron in California. Always willing to help out our buddies in Redding. They get left out of a lot of stuff due to their remoteness (most of the NorCal activities are in the Sacramento and Oakland areas).

There is some significant hassle to getting started, but it's a lot of fun once you do. As Redding is a composite squadron (meaning cadets and adults), you can get involved with cadet activities if you want. Emergency Services are largely separate.

We get left out of a lot of everything up here :) Would you mind if I PMd you and asked a few questions?

Welcome and good luck with your training... Keep us posted on your progress...

Welcome to POA! There are some great people here with a lot of good experience.

For the rest, please keep this handy:

SaltShaker.jpg

:goofy:

...About a year and a half ago I started working on my PPL and got about 3-4 hours in before life and weather got in the way. Life has been a bit crazy since then, but I finally have the time and money to fly again.

My first flight is tomorrow morning and I'm scheduled every weekday morning with my awesome CFI until I get this damn license! Flying has always been an interest of mine since I was young and I'm really excited to get back into the air...

The list of those of us who did this is long and distinguished. Good luck on getting your PPL.

Tim

Thanks everyone :) Flew this morning and it was amazing. God I miss that feeling! I'll admit, I did panic a bit taking off but once I was in the air it all came rushing back to me. Very successful first flight back!

See you -- from a distance, hopefully -- in the skies :)

Welcome ,and good luck with your training.

Thanks everyone :) Flew this morning and it was amazing. God I miss that feeling! I'll admit, I did panic a bit taking off but once I was in the air it all came rushing back to me. Very successful first flight back!

See you -- from a distance, hopefully -- in the skies :)

I remember, during my first week in training, we were flying a Cessna 152 on a very windy day and I felt like we were getting pretty beat up by the wind and turbulence. I had a death grip on the yoke to the point of getting cramps in my hands. My instructor said ok I've got the airplane, I want to show you something. I let go and looked over at him and he had two fingers on the yoke. I said to myself at that moment "Well S***, if he can do that then so can I". that was the last time my hands started cramping up on me. It's funny to think back at those early experiences now.

I was also scared to death when I did my first power on stall and the left wing seemed to drop out from under me. By the time we finished my training I enjoyed doing spins with him.

Enjoy!

My instructor said ok I've got the airplane, I want to show you something. I let go and looked over at him and he had two fingers on the yoke. I said to myself at that moment "Well S***, if he can do that then so can I". that was the last time my hands started cramping up on me.

I had a problem with pulling up too much on my turns this morning. After yelling at me a good 2-3 times, my instructor made me hold the controls by forming an O with my pointer and thumb, which gave me enough grip to bank but not pull back too strongly. Instantly fixed my turns and once I got a feel for how to properly do it I was able to go back to holding it normally without a problem.

He also complimented me on my rudder control, which felt great. I remembered having a big problem with rudders last time I flew, so I studied up big time last night (on everything, rudders especially though) and that really helped.

You'll be amazed how much a light two finger grip will tell you. You'll be able to feel the wind blowing over the mountains, for instance, even on a light day. You'll know where every thermal is. Eventually.

For now, the plane really wants to fly in a straight line at constant climb rate. Between good trim and a light touch, it will do most of the work for you, resulting in considerably better flying.

Back