Introduction

dieselpony

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dieselpony
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Andy from Lebanon, PA. I've been wanting to learn to fly since I was in 8th grade and read a book titled, "Flying Know How" or something like that. Lots of school, and the lack of funds that comes with it, has sort of hampered this dream.

Now, in my early 30s, I really have the bug, and definitely want to earn at least a light sport certificate before I have children. A local pilot has taken me up twice in his Aeronca Champ, and once in his 172. The champ is a lot of fun.
The first flight he wanted to see how interested I would be. Now he's been more seriously trying to teach me things - hold altitude in turns, power off and power on stalls, gliding, ground handling a tail wheel, etc. He's not a CFI, but has agreed to continue this teaching for the shared cost of fuel. This being my only experience in the cockpit, it's helpful to just have the time to get my bearings in the sky. I feel like I'm learning a lot just hanging out at the airport with him and talking as well, and I'm hoping this will make the CFI hours really count. Does that make sense?

I've read the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook from their website, which was helpful to learn some terms and maneuvers. I plan to earn a Light Sport Certificate and then either rent or find a partnership to log some hours and have some fun. I'd eventually like to earn a PPL / IFR to be able to do some traveling, but I think right now my funds will allow the light sport certificate along with being able to fly after earning the rating.

Thanks for the great forum! I'm learning a ton on here reading the threads. Anyone have any good books for reading suggestions while I'm getting started?

Welcome, Dieselpony.

There was a thread a few days ago comparing Light Sport to PPL that may be helpful for you to review. If you have any health issues, the Light Sport also has benefits, in that the savings from avoiding a lot of tests the FAA sometimes requires can buy a lot of Avgas. Have fun in your learning. I am not a CFI, but don't see anything wrong with your friend showing you a few things. I had to pay my friend (friendly CFI) for the things he taught me, although truthfully, it was well worth it.

Welcome lsa is fun flying ,but if you are going to move on to ppl make sure to use a CFI who is qualified to teach ppl so you don't waste money.Im sure the CFIs will be checking in soon.Again welcome

Why do you want to fly Light Sport? If it's a medical issue, then it's an awesome idea. If it's a cost issue, it will cost just barellyyyy less. If it's because you like the LSA airplanes, you can fly them all (and may more!) with a private pilot cert.

As a CFI, I don't particularly think that students should be taking "lessons" with people who are CFIs. If he's a light-sport CFI then he's had the training and has the knowledge (in theory) behind the teaching. If he's not he may know how to fly but knows very little how to teach and will end up teaching you some bad habits.. that isn't what I would recommend. Find a CFI (preferably not an LSA-CFI) and go from there.

Welcome-

It sounds like you have a great plan and source to accomplish it.

Light sport is a good entry to aviation. Mission creep may one day make you want to expand beyond those limitations. This is why some recommend a cfi who can sign off both Light sport and regular pilots licenses so you do not have to retake the same training.

Think of it like going to a community college but later wanting to get the 4 year degree and not wanting to have to retake English and algebra because the new university will not accept your prior work.

In any case go enjoy yourself and the freedom that flying gives us all.

Thanks for the helpful replies. To answer the LSA question, my only reasons with starting there are to use it as an entry point, being more affordable to to reach at this point in my life - my wife is in med school, so we live on my income, and I'm a Lutheran pastor, so the income isn't huge. But, we're fairly frugal people and I think the LSA and some flying to gain experience is doable now. I don't have any medical issues, so that's not the reason for going LSA now. I'll be sure to make sure to find a CFI who is certified in both so that the hours count toward a future PPL as well - thanks for that tip!

I'll update when I find a CFI and work out a training schedule.

Other ways to save money while flying are to look for a 3 or 4 way partnership on a training type aircraft or a flying club which usually has much lower hourly rental fees and a small monthly contribution. It is not uncommon for the CFI's to make a bit less than at a flight school as well.

If you fly more than 2 hrs a month this is often much cheaper form of training.

I had a Cherokee that I could not fly enough so I allowed three friends to fly it for the expenses to upkeep it. It worked out to cost them about $50 per hour of flight time.

These situations are not always advertised well so hanging out and talking to pilots and owners at all the local airports is a good start to find one.

Other ways to save money while flying are to look for a 3 or 4 way partnership on a training type aircraft or a flying club which usually has much lower hourly rental fees and a small monthly contribution. It is not uncommon for the CFI's to make a bit less than at a flight school as well.

If you fly more than 2 hrs a month this is often much cheaper form of training.

I had a Cherokee that I could not fly enough so I allowed three friends to fly it for the expenses to upkeep it. It worked out to cost them about $50 per hour of flight time.

These situations are not always advertised well so hanging out and talking to pilots and owners at all the local airports is a good start to find one.

I found a membership share for a Cessna 150 for sale for $1800; fees are $35/month and $10/hr tach time. 10 member partnership, only 2 of whom currently fly. Open to student pilots. No CFI, but can use any CFI. Plane is kept at a nice little grass strip nearby and hangared. Low hours TT and engine time, but not sure yet of exact numbers.

It seems to me, if I can make this -- or something like it -- work, I could afford the PPL right away instead of sport pilot.

Assuming plane is in good shape and the club is on solid financial footing and I can find a CFI to give lessons in the plane, are there any downsides to an arrangement like this? Seems I'll save quite a bit over renting, with many of perks of sole ownership without the full cost.

Welcome! I, too, would recommend that you research any flying clubs in your area. Our club has a variety of planes which cater to different skillsets/tastes/budgets and our costs are typically 25% cheaper on tach time and 50% cheaper on CFI rates. For example, our instrument CFi rates are $28/hr versus $60/hr at the local flight school. The club also offers regular safety seminars and social events which creates a sense of community and source for plenty of support. Not all clubs are the same, so visit as many as you can.

You'll need to do what is best for you but I would recommend you give fractional ownership careful consideration given your financial situation. An unexpected repair could permanently ground your aircraft if you and your partners don't have the wherewithal to pay for it. One of our members struck the runway with the prop on one of the planes and it cost the club more than $30k for the repair to the engine and structure. That would be a big price tag for a small group of owners. Those as my two cents.

If everything else checks out on that C150 deal, do it! That is a heck of a deal!! $10/hr tach dry is a rare find. With fuel and instructor, you're about $80-90/hr, perhaps a bit less. That is a very enviable rate.

Even after you finish the PPL, I'd advise to keep your position in that club. having something in the $50's wet to build time with is a killer deal.

Back