introduction

jimf41

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jimf41
Just found this forum and sign-up.It said to give a short bio.
7000 hrs about 400 FW and the rest helicopter
Army pilot 41 years
Police pilot 8 years
FW commercial/Instr
Helo civil Commercial and instructor, Military SIP, IFE Blackhawks and Hueys mostly
Retired, haven't flown since 2009.
Extremely handsome.

I am also extremely handsome. I guess there's room for two of us in here, so welcome!

Welcome, where is the world are you located. or is that classified?

Welcome, where is the world are you located. or is that classified?
Stony Brook NY. I flew out of MacArthur airport (ISP). I have pretty extensive knowledge of the Class C airspace around JFK, LGA and EWR. It's a little different for you fixed wing folks and a lot different if the controllers know you and call by your first name but I can probably pass along some tips if any are interested.

I'm curious about these maps you guys have in your messages. Where do you find them? Mine would pretty much be covered for most of the county but if you have a world map it would be interesting.

Welcome!

Any thoughts of flying again?
Seems a shame a handsome pilot remain grounded. ;)

Just found this forum and sign-up.It said to give a short bio.
7000 hrs about 400 FW and the rest helicopter
Army pilot 41 years
Police pilot 8 years
FW commercial/Instr
Helo civil Commercial and instructor, Military SIP, IFE Blackhawks and Hueys mostly
Retired, haven't flown since 2009.
Extremely handsome.
Welcome to POA

Welcome!

Any thoughts of flying again?
Seems a shame a handsome pilot remain grounded. ;)

Couple of offers to co-star with Tom Cruise in an upcoming movie about flying. I turned them down. Who wants to live in Hollywood and have all those young starlets trying to seduce you all the time. What pain in the neck that would be.

Seriously I miss it sometimes. But then I think of all the times I walked out to the ship carrying 40 lbs. of equipment, had to crawl all over the helicopter in sub zero weather and fly in drafty helicopter teach a newbie how to land in tight LZ's wearing NVG's. It was fun the first few times but after awhile it just got damn uncomfortable for these old bones. I miss the guys and girls I flew with and the comraderie the most. I do find that older I get the better I used to fly and the handsomer I looked.

Yeah, what's that "Class C" airspace like out there?

It can be little intimidating when you first fly into it. About 20 years ago they came up with a special helicopter enroute chart that shows checkpoints and routes and it's a good thing for planning if you are not used to the area. The most important thing is to sound like you know what you are doing when you contact approach. FW can't go all the places on the chart but there's a lot of stuff to see, Statue of Liberty, Governor's Island, site of the World Trade Center, Throgs Neck, Verazzono and the oldest suspension bridge in the world, Brooklyn Bridge. You can fly over it and I've only done that once but it was a neat ride.I seem to remember that you couldn't fly in there without a Commercial license but I'm not sure about because it didn't apply to me. You can fly right over the Intrepid and I've actually landed on it a few times. It's by invitation only and strictly for helicopters but I did make forced landing on it once when a severe T-storm got a little to close for comfort. The Cradle of Aviation is a neat place to visit if you're in the area but you can't land there in anything.

Correction to the above about class C. I was thinking you were talking about Class B and my response was geared to that. Class C is not nearly as complicated. Again my apologies. One of the reasons I don't fly anymore is I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Oh well, everything else about retirement is pretty good.

Back