Intro thread

smoore

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sean Moore
Hi all. I'm a wannabe pilot who is currently weighing options. I flew for about 20 hours in HS 20 years ago but then discovered girls and cars immediately after solo. I no longer have my logbook and wouldn't trust memory to count those hours towards anything useful anyway. At least I know I am capable and enjoy the activity.

I'm blue-collar and never thought I'd be able to fly much... until I discovered homebuilts. Barring some radical change of thinking I'm planning on building a Sonex and getting my primary powered flight training in it. I may have to travel to find an instructor but plan on attending the local EAA meeting one of these months. Alas, this month isn't going to happen either because it's the only weekend we can go camping with the kids... I wish the meetings were during the week instead of Sat.

As for now I plan on getting a glider rating and renting sailplanes for recreation. From looking at the Boulder Soaring Society webpage it would appear I can get four or five flights for under $200/mo. That's not too shabby!

Anyhoo, hi again. I've enjoyed reading the posts this past weekend. I probably won't post all that much but like living vicariously through you folks.

Welcome and look for Tony C if you want to know about soaring. He is the resident "expert" about it.

Welcome aboard!

I don't know where you live, but perhaps there's more than one EAA chapter in the area; another might work better with your schedule.

And if you're going to build the plane before you learn how to fly, it might be quite a long while! I'd recommend at least making sure that you can still pass the FAA physical before you sink that much time & energy into it! You might also talk to the local EAA members to make sure you can find an instructor willing to teach in your homebuilt. You know you like flying from you time 20 years ago, so that isn't a problem.

re: Tony Condon: Yeah, I noticed he even owns an old home-built Cherokee II. Very cool.

re: location: Lakewood, CO. I'm going to head over and flesh out my profile after I post this.

re: medical: Well, the Sonex is LSA so technically.... but I did ask my doctor who claims to have a passing knowledge of AME standards and he said I'm FULLY in the clear. I told him I'm so healthy because of all of my clean living! ( :no: )

re: time to completion: yeah, no kidding! What a huge time investment and THEN to stand on the ground while someone I hired flies off the test hours. This is why I want to get a glider cert. and play with the sailplanes for a year or so. Hopefully that will motivate me to go cut up aluminum in the evenings. Apparently there is at least a year of work that only uses about $1k worth of materials. Lots of $$ for soaring, ya know? Still have to hire a test pilot but I'd probably do that anyway, who wants to be a 100-hour-wonder taking the first flight, ya know?

Thanks for the welcomes.

boulder is a great place to soar. catch some waves and you're sitting on top of the world out there!

welcome aboard

Sean,

Welcome aboard! It's a pretty good crowd here in spite of the likes of Tony and those who are "anti-engine" flyers. :)

Ya might look up Greg Kainz (GKainz) in Arvada. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction for schools and CFIs. Probably the nearest option for you would be at Jefferson County Airport off Wadsworth and Interlocken.

Further north is Tri-County Airport off Hwy 7 between Erie and Lafayette. I understand that airport has expanded quite a bit in the last few years.

Then, there's Boulder on the north side of town as Tony mentioned. They do a lot of soaring there. I don't know much about the airport as I never actually visited the field in spite of having lived above Boulder in Sunshine Canyon.

Straight out W-470 is Centennial Airport, off Arapahoe Road and Peoria. If you're on the southern edge of Lakewood, that would be a good option. Mark Kolber (Midlifeflyer) is an instructor out that way. He can fill you in on options at Centennial and maybe another option or two.

Mari also flies out of Centennial. If she chimes in, perhaps she can point you to some ideas. She's a corporate pilot who has suddenly taken to getting high while upside down. :hairraise:

The only other airports left in the metro area are Aurora Airpark and Front Range Airport, both out I-70 East.

I hope that's enough to help ya out. I used to live there but all my playing was up in Greeley, Loveland and Fort Collins.

Ken

As far as building, look for Nick ((skyhog) NOT being a smarta** Nick)) he knows some of the perils involved in it and can give you some GREAT advice on "to do's and not to do's"

Mark B

Hi Sean,

Since you want to fly gliders, look at the Xenos (Sonex spelled backwards). It's a powered glider and you can fly it with the same certificate (and no medical). All you have to do is get an endorsement.

I definitely recommend flying during the build process. There are a lot of home builders that stop flying while building and their skills go to mush. While building, try to do something each and every day. Also, start by making any parts that are needed (a bunch on the Sonex or Xenos kits) first. That way assembly seems to go much faster. And don't be afraid to ask for help. It's better to ask a so called dumb question than to make a mistake that will cost you $1000 in parts.

Good luck!!

Welcome, Sean! Kenny spelled it out in spades above - way better than I could have done (Nicely done, Ken).

Check out Colorado Pilots Association ( http://www.coloradopilots.org ) for good area info; click the events tab for upcoming events. Aviation Links, CO links will take you to links for Colorado EAA chapters, FBOs and schools, and other areas of interest.

As far as building, look for Nick ((skyhog) NOT being a smarta** Nick)) he knows some of the perils involved in it and can give you some GREAT advice on "to do's and not to do's"

Mark B

My only to don't is "To don't Build a KR2 unless you are REALLY good at building with wood." :D

Actually, I love the Sonexs I've seen. Awesome plane. I am getting a new place in September, and will soon after start to build my RV7A again!

nick i assume you are familiar with the forums at vansairforce.net ? good RV community there

Back