Intrepid Sea Air & Space Museum

jxdrl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jonathan
Since I am in NYC and have some free time and can't fly my new plane, I suppose I will go to the Intrepid Museum.

I'll upload some pictures of the cool stuff later today.

Sweet. The Intrepid is awesome. The sub next to it is really cool too. The first American nuclear missile sub.

There's carriers in Corpus Christi and San Diego. It is my goal in life to walk on every floating airplane museum that I can. So far I've got 3.

I've been to the Intrepid a couple times before it got refurbished but not after. I was even lucky enough to get a behind-the-scenes tour once.

It's really not that great, in my opinion. There's walkways everywhere so you can't touch anything and it's been turned into more of a tourist trap. The overall structure is really cool and there were some nice airplanes outside but I didn't feel like I learned anything. Also, the submarine is just a maze for you to get stuck behind slow walkers.

I appreciate the historical ties to it and the two short films I watched there were the best part. The one about their first kamikaze bombing had some cheesy dialogue but the actual footage and special effects were a nice touch. This is where I learned the most about this particular ship.

Definitely a good place to take kids, however, as there are a lot of interactive exhibits and rides to try out but not a place where you can learn much about the actual history. It's set up to take money. Of course, it's a destination in Manhattan so, what could I expect?

In the end, I really liked the set-up and location but, it needs better exhibits. Maybe when the space shuttle gets there.

I'll post some untitled pictures that I'm sure you guys can guess in 5 seconds or less.

I didn't get as many as I would have liked to on the flight deck. As you can see, a storm was on its way and brought a nice downpour that drenched me on the walk back.

2011-04-28130949.jpg

2011-04-28132948.jpg

2011-04-28131638.jpg

2011-04-28133338.jpg

Sweet. The Intrepid is awesome. The sub next to it is really cool too. The first American nuclear missile sub.

There's carriers in Corpus Christi and San Diego. It is my goal in life to walk on every floating airplane museum that I can. So far I've got 3.

The Yorktown is in Charleston SC. Was just there a few weeks ago.

The one in San Diego was cool, you could walk around the airplanes, and there was a pretty good tour below decks. Not at all the tourist trap I was expecting.

The one in San Diego was cool, you could walk around the airplanes, and there was a pretty good tour below decks. Not at all the tourist trap I was expecting.

A number of years ago I was visiting San Diego with a girlfriend who did not care in the slightest about airplanes, and she did not want see the Midway. The deal we made was, if she came with me to see the Midway, then I'd come shopping with her. In the end, at her request, we spent the rest of the day at the Midway, and didn't go shopping. Great museum, is my point.

I hope you dumped her! ;) LOL!

Ha, no, she dumped me first. The current girl wouldn't even consider shopping - it would be aircraft carrier all day, if we couldn't find something even cooler. The aviation museum there is pretty good, if I remember correctly.

Back