Interview for Pilot or CFI

bobbyek

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bobbyek
As a part of our English class we are required to generate an "Exploration Project". The Exploration project is a full year project which consists of finding an answer to a question of choice. I personally do want to be a pilot so my topic is related to aviation. My research topic is " Why is air travel the safest method of transportation?". A common phrase people use but is it necessarily true, that is what I want to find out. Along with your answers and my research I hope to come to a solid conclusion to this question. I have composed several questions that I believe will help me achieve this. If a question is too personal please put the question number and then the answer as "too personal". If you do not know the answer do the same thing but instead write "I do not have the answer". After answering all the questions please feel free to leave any advice or information that you believe would be valuable, such as pictures, links, and etc. Once more, I thank you for your time immensely and I really appreciate it.

Please leave your full name, how long you have been working as a pilot and the level certficate you have.

For pictures, brouchures,websites and more email me at caughtup693@hotmail.com

1. Why are some tasks not carried out by computer systems in an aircraft?
2. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and the types of computers it is equipped with?
3. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and difficulty maneuvering?
4. Are there any other precautions besides those listed in the airplane checklists that you conduct to ensure maximum safety onboard?
5.Which ways can a pilot distress to report an emergency? Which is most effective?
6. What are the standard security measures before, on and after a flight to ensure maximum safety for the passengers?
7. What new technological advancements help provide the aircraft with more accuracy, performance, and safety than in previous years?
8.How do procedures for passengers bracing vary on the type of crash? Why are some methods more effective than others?
9.How does fatigue from previous flights affect a pilot’s performance?
Which part during the flight do pilots focus their most attention?
10. What are some common distractions during a flight?
11. How does turbulence affect the way a pilot flies? When encountered with extreme turbulence do you leave autopilot on or take control yourself?
12. How do crosswinds and downdrafts affect landing? How often do you contact air traffic control? (During which phase of flight)
13. What routines are involved in planning an IFR flight? What routines are involved in planing an VFR flight?
14. When would a pilot be not permitted to fly due to their health?
15. How often does a pilot have to be tested for their skills?
16. What improvements do you think should be made to the aviation industry to improve safety?

I fly for a surveying company that uses an airplane to travel. The airplane we fly has 4 seats, and no automation to speak of. I don't usually use a checklist, I use a flow and that seems to be effective. I've declared emergencies, usually the phrase "Declaring an emergency" tends to get attention quickly. Id say GPS navigation and terrain avoidance are 2 of the biggest safety advances. Along with onboard WX. I've never been in a crash, so I can't say I'm familiar with which bracing technique works best.

When I get into turbulence, I usually turn off the AP. Usually one of the biggest distractions for me is angry birds. When I've got the autopilot on flying long XCs angry birds usually impedes me from falling asleep. Usually when I plan an IFR flight I fire up foreflight, glance at the WX, NOTAMS, and TFRs. Then I file and that is that. I suppose after you pass whatever you end up with certificate wise you don't get tested any more. Every 2 years you get evaluated with a skill demonstration via BFR. To improve GA safety what we need to do is make it illegal to run out of gas.

David White - Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine land. I've been a pilot for (geez this is hard to believe) 3 years.

1. Why are some tasks not carried out by computer systems in an aircraft? In modern airliners almost everything is done by computers. But would you fly as a passenger on an aircraft controlled by a computer? I wouldn't. A computer can only follow written procedures, if something un-normal happens you need a human.
2. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and the types of computers it is equipped with? There really isn't one. A large aircraft will typically be expensive so if your buying a new one you might as well fit all the modern computers in it, but if the plane is old it will usually have most of it's original avionics. Small aircraft on the other hand have less systems so it's much more practical to outfit an old small aircraft with modern avionics.
3. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and difficulty maneuvering?Usually the bigger it is the harder it is to maneuver, of course they are exceptions.
4. Are there any other precautions besides those listed in the airplane checklists that you conduct to ensure maximum safety onboard? Yes, quite a lot.
5.Which ways can a pilot distress to report an emergency? Which is most effective? If he's already in contact with ATC then he can do it on the frequency that he's using at the time. If he's not talking to ATC you can transmit on 121.5 (emergency frequency), also you have an ELT on board witch will start transmitting a single if it thinks you crashed.
6. What are the standard security measures before, on and after a flight to ensure maximum safety for the passengers? Completely depends on who your flying with.
7. What new technological advancements help provide the aircraft with more accuracy, performance, and safety than in previous years? GPS, On board traffic and weather.
8.How do procedures for passengers bracing vary on the type of crash? Why are some methods more effective than others? Not sure what you mean. If your talking about those bracing position that the airlines tell you about, that's so if people's bags start flying they won't hit you over the head. However in that position you will usually break your teeth on the upright table (airlines don't like telling you that). The main thing is keep your seat belts on, and try to fly aircraft that have shoulder harness (significantly improves safety)
9.How does fatigue from previous flights affect a pilot’s performance? It's a major factor.
Which part during the flight do pilots focus their most attention? Departure and Arrival
10. What are some common distractions during a flight? In modern airplanes...computers.
11. How does turbulence affect the way a pilot flies? When encountered with extreme turbulence do you leave autopilot on or take control yourself? I personally prefer to hand fly it in extreme conditions.
12. How do crosswinds and downdrafts affect landing? Depends on the type of aircraft. The lower your wing loading is and the less your aircraft weight is the more you will be effected by winds. Downdrafts are typically a problem in underpowered aircraft and around large mountains.
How often do you contact air traffic control? (During which phase of flight) Completely depends on the purpose of a flight.
13. What routines are involved in planning an IFR flight? What routines are involved in planing an VFR flight? The answer to this would be very long, if you are really interested I can give you a couple of things to read.
14. When would a pilot be not permitted to fly due to their health? Basically there are three classes of medicals. Private pilots are required to have a 3rd class, commercial pilots are required to have at least a second class, and airline transport pilots are required to have a 1st class.
15. How often does a pilot have to be tested for their skills? Basically every two years.
16. What improvements do you think should be made to the aviation industry to improve safety?Better training.

1. Why are some tasks not carried out by computer systems in an aircraft?
It is still a hands on job. There needs to be decisions made by somebody.
2. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and the types of computers it is equipped with?
General aviation sized aircraft "tend" to not have as much automation or computers as you call it.
3. What is the relationship between size of aircraft and difficulty maneuvering?
None really. There is really no "difficulty" to speak of in maneuvering larger aircraft.
4. Are there any other precautions besides those listed in the airplane checklists that you conduct to ensure maximum safety onboard?
FAR's, experience, aircraft limitations.
5.Which ways can a pilot distress to report an emergency? Which is most effective?
In larger commercial operators there is a few different ways. Company SELCAL, ACARS, Radio etc... Radio to ATC is best way to get priority.
6. What are the standard security measures before, on and after a flight to ensure maximum safety for the passengers?
Follow the procedures.
7. What new technological advancements help provide the aircraft with more accuracy, performance, and safety than in previous years?
GPWS, synthetic vision.
8.How do procedures for passengers bracing vary on the type of crash? Why are some methods more effective than others?
They don't really.
9.How does fatigue from previous flights affect a pilot’s performance?
Just like it does with fatigue on any other activity.
Which part during the flight do pilots focus their most attention?
T/O and Approach Phases.
10. What are some common distractions during a flight?
Boredom.
11. How does turbulence affect the way a pilot flies?
Follow the limitations.
When encountered with extreme turbulence do you leave autopilot on or take control yourself?
Extreme turbulence is very uncommon,most A/P wouldn't even hold. Regular turb can be handled quite well by the better A/P systems.

12. How do crosswinds and downdrafts affect landing? How often do you contact air traffic control? (During which phase of flight)
Same as any other landing. A lot if you are on a flight plan.
13. What routines are involved in planning an IFR flight? What routines are involved in planing an VFR flight?
To many to list here.
14. When would a pilot be not permitted to fly due to their health?
When they cant pass their medical.
15. How often does a pilot have to be tested for their skills?
Depends on if you do it for fun or you do it for a job.
16. What improvements do you think should be made to the aviation industry to improve safety
??

Back