Interpretation of FAR 61.51(h)(2)

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
FAR 61.51(h)(2) states that training time in a flight training device must be "logged in a logbook" and "be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor" including "the authorized instructor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date."

Going through my records, I have no endorsed logbook entries for my simulator time (training and checkride) accomplished at Flight Safety. Can I still log it as dual received without the instructor credentials in my logbook since that information is available via my FSI training records? If so, I suppose I can just note that in the remarks section of my logbook entry...

And if so take 2: Since they were all on different dates and with different instructors, would it be acceptable to combine it all into one line-item covering all the sim time and parameters?

Last edited:
I think that if the time is documented in your official FSI training record, you could log each date or the range of dates in your logbook with mention of the supporting documentation, which should be kept with your logbook. I doubt you would get any hassle about that from the FAA.

The FAA really doesn't define the form of the log book (or even require it to be a "book").
Your authorized instructor could fill out the required information and signature on a napkin and you could carry them in a shoebox if you wanted. Not exactly the most convenient form, but within the letter of the rules.

Great, thanks for the answers. I kinda figured it would be fine, but just wanted to make sure. I doubt it would ever be questioned anyway.

Your FSI Instructors may not be CFI's (or current CFI's) depending upon the training given.
Interesting, didn't know that... But wouldn't I still log that as dual received for the sim time, regardless of what certificate they hold?

Back