Internet on Saturday...woot!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Man, its amazing how much I use the internet, and I never really realized it until I was stuck with only my Windows Mobile device to connect through (as a modem, running blazingly fast speeds up to 9600 baud at times!)

Comcast finally got their stuff together and will be here on saturday to install the service. of course, this is the FIRST time its scheduled. My guess is it will take at least 2 more attempts before it actually gets installed. :rolleyes:

Nick:

Internet-wise, can you answer this question?
When I had Comcast(after they bought out Susquehana[Suscom]) the junk mail filter was by Postini.com. No sweat. When I moved in June to six miles away from where Comcast has no cable service -- nor does anyone else -- I got set up with HughesNet. No problems, except:

My "Message Center" continues to evidence all the Postini.com activity, still referencing my defunct @suscom-maine.net address. Even if I were to prefer to receive one or more of the filtered e-mails each would be sent to xxxxxx@suscom-maine.net, which is a non-existent address.

I called Comcast, who told me to contact Postini. I called Postini whose no-live customer service announces that "Postini does not assist end users. Please call your ISP."

Additionally, Postini.com only supports additional addresses if same are attached to the address of record.

How do I get rid of the presently useless Postini feed?

HR

I need more info, Lawreston. For starters, are you using a mail program like Outlook Express or Windows Mail or Eudora, or a webmail client? Also - you may want to try to see if Postini.com responds via email (I've never heard of them, unfortunately).

My guess, if you're using Outlook Express, is that there is some sort of OE plugin running.

Outlook Express.

http://postini.com/ (and "they" don't respond to e-mail).

In the interim I just downloaded the Free version of Mailwasher. I'll try that for a bit before deleting Message Center(which, in itself, may or may not create a black hole that won't be able to receive the Postini filtrations). Postini, apparently, sells their services to various ISPs; doesn't deal with end users.

Thanks for your input.

HR

Got to Control Panel->add/remove programs and see if there is anything Postini there. Remove it.

Last edited:
Nothing there re Postini.

????????

Look for anything else that might be an email or email security utility.

Then it has to be in your mail settings. If you point to the servers at the new ISP, that should do it.

Some more information is needed.

What e-mail address are you currently using? Is it the same as your old address?

When you say "Message Center" What do you mean? I know Postini has a web interface called "Message Center" Does your new ISP use Postini?

Some more information is needed.

What e-mail address are you currently using? Is it the same as your old address?

When you say "Message Center" What do you mean? I know Postini has a web interface called "Message Center" Does your new ISP use Postini?

Bingo! Postini was owned by SpamPortal; Google was in July scheduled to buy Postini for 625 Million $$$. I checked Properties on "Message Center" which was aligned with Postini. With that in mind I DELETED Message Center. AHA! No more Postini junk mail showing up on my current system but attributed to my no-longer-used address at former ISP, Comcast.

Thanks for the PoA assistance.

HR (and Postini doesn't have an agreement with HughesNet)

Last edited:
Bingo! Postini was owned by SpamPortal; Google was in July scheduled to buy Postini for 625 Million $$$. I checked Properties on "Message Center" which was aligned with mc-s5.postini.com. With that in mind I DELETED Message Center. AHA! No more Postini junk mail showing up on my current system but attributed to my no-longer-used address at former ISP, Comcast.

Thanks for the PoA assistance.

HR (jcrute (at) hughes (dot) net) and Postini doesn't have an agreement with HughesNet0

HarJerLawReston:

I'd advise editing your post and removing the undoctored email address, so spambots crawling through PoA don't harvest the address, and your spam troubles multiply. Just my $0.02.

Always use a doctored email address, mang! "sky dot hog at gmail dot and then add com to the end"

Hard to read, even harder to parse.

Always use a doctored email address, mang! "sky dot hog at gmail dot and then add com to the end"

Hard to read, even harder to parse.

'cept the spammers are actually hiring humans at some 50 cents an hour to harvest email addresses.

See ya on the high speed net around uh, Wednesday? :D

OK - a little social engineering later, and I'm online with Comcast.

Seriously, it shouldn't have been that hard. My cable was installed at 9am. The tech wanted to install software on my computer and I told him hell no. So he left the modem, but the ethernet port was not working. I called Comcast to see what I needed to do, and the answer was to exchange the modem.

Forget that! My roommate has a modem from an old address that was disconnected and never returned, and therefore, he owes them a bunch of money for the modem. I called and tried to get that added and they wanted me to pay the bill.

So - I called back, saying "I just exchanged my modem, and now its not working..."

That did the trick. Now I am online with the other modem, and Comcast is none the wiser. I shouldn't have had to work that hard to get online.

Well, you fared better than I did. They set me up for internet (I set up the computer) and it wasn't working... After several calls figured out that there was a "filter" on my line that had to be removed. It was more than a week before they could fit me into the schedule to get that done. Since this was service call #2 I got a $50 charge on my next bill. I called and argued that one with numerous people, saying if you knew my intent was to get internet service, you should have removed the filter when you were out here the first time! They finally refunded it, but not without a fight. Then I tried arguing that I shouldn't have to pay for the service for the week that I couldn't access it because of their filter... Didn't get anywhere with that one.

Well, I've been having problems with my Comcast Internet lately. COntacted Comcast from work Friday, and they made an appointment for Saturday afternoon. They showed up, and found that my downstream signal was 15.62, well outside the -10 to +5 normal range. Well, I'm still having problems, so they're coming out again Monday. Apparently my cable modem is resetting about 400 times an hour. We'll see!

Back