Internet Explorer 8

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Computer is prompting me to update to IE8. Should I ? Any reason not to? I won't on my office computer because my billing and time keeping program has problems with it but I don't have that program on the home computers.

We're looking at it at work. Our main systems don't support IE8. That doesn't mean that it won't work; just that the vendors will require the user to show that the problem isn't unique to IE8 before they devote full resources to it.

I'm using it now on my Vista laptop. No problems so far, and it has a better search function for searching the page at which you are looking, as well as a much better prompting system when you start typing in a URL.

It is on my Vista home machine. I am not really using it and it downloaded when I was not paying attention but was futzting with another Vista problem and downloading all kinds fo fixes for that. So far no problems that I can pin to IE. The best I can say is that it did nto screw up my Firefox install.

Ironically, with IE8, the ASP.NET Menu controls stop working, because the ASP.NET Menu controls were apparently built incorrectly.

They work in Firefox though...

None of which has any bearing on PoA, but its been a thorn in my side recently, since I work in ASP.NET

Adam: it took up a lot of time to download and install; then, left a lot of files to be cleaned up. Might make an allowance for that.
I don't use it; I'm on firefox, but auto updates came up and I clicked it <g>

Best,

Dave

I like it. I use it at work, even though no one else gets to since I do development, and I tell you, I really like it.

Seems to work fine for me. I like some of the features like open all of the link in a file under favorite. One click and the whole file opens up with different tabs. Pretty cool.

I'm a Firefox fan myself. I just built up a new machine with Windows 7 which comes with EI8. The first time I looked at it I said "Ok where did they put everything this time".

I still think EI is not very secure. I use Firefox with the No Script add-on which prevents scripts from running unless I authorize them first. There are and probably always will be compromised web sites containing scripts that install malicious code on visitors computers. Preventing those scripts from running is a line of defense that I really like having.

Jean

Safari had it first. :D
Actually no Kent. Phoenix had this before Safari even existed. (Phoenix was the original Firefox. They renamed it to Firefox because Phoenix Technologies got ****ed).

I suspect another browser probably had it before Phoenix even had it.

Actually no Kent. Phoenix had this before Safari even existed. (Phoenix was the original Firefox. They renamed it to Firefox because Phoenix Technologies got ****ed).

I suspect another browser probably had it before Phoenix even had it.

Okay, Safari had it before IE. I was going purely for the Apple-vs-MS thing. ;)

I'm using IE8 on my home computer running XP Pro. I like it better than IE7. We haven't upgraded our work computers, however, as an important web-based application we use doesn't work with IE8.

I'm using IE8 on my home computer running XP Pro. I like it better than IE7. We haven't upgraded our work computers, however, as an important web-based application we use doesn't work with IE8.
You're probably already aware of it, but IE8 has a compatibility mode that sometimes allows it to emulate IE7's bugs enough to get it to work with sites or applications that opted to optimize for IE instead of use web standards.

We're not allowed to use 8 at work. Nor 7 yet, thank you, but IT is getting around to rolling it out - their notice to employees said "And some of the benefit you'll be getting are tabs in the browser instead of having to have several browsers open." Dilbert lives.

We're also not allowed to install Firefox or any other software on our computers.

We're not allowed to use 8 at work. Nor 7 yet, thank you, but IT is getting around to rolling it out - their notice to employees said "And some of the benefit you'll be getting are tabs in the browser instead of having to have several browsers open." Dilbert lives.

We're also not allowed to install Firefox or any other software on our computers.

"I am Mordoc, preventer of Information Technology."

They just decided we can't have administrative rights to our desktops. I was told I don't have rights to change my screen resolution, even if I have 3 different routine monitor setups. :mad:

Among other things the SMS pushes launch installers that run for 20 minutes whether you're working on a conference call with the VPs or not and then crash, after which they harass you automated and live human to let them try again and again. During this interval it takes 30 seconds for me to see a new newly opened window of any kind. After the 3rd manual attempt with "success", my first power on gives me a message that the patch has been applied and my PC will reboot in 15 minutes with no way to login or kill it or force reboot so I hit the power button. I'm in for about 3 minutes when I see a quick item on the task bar that it's installing an "approved" update for Adobe Flash. The installer launches and it tells me I don't have rights to install...and it opens up a windows asking me if I want install it now every time I get the home page.

So I opened up a ticket with Mordoc. You guys fix it. Yeah, I know. "What did *I* do?"

When I see those Microsoft "innovation" and "productivity" TV ads I want a button on my remote that lets me give Balmer a strong electric shock.

They just decided we can't have administrative rights to our desktops. I was told I don't have rights to change my screen resolution, even if I have 3 different routine monitor setups. :mad:

Among other things the SMS pushes launch installers that run for 20 minutes whether you're working on a conference call with the VPs or not and then crash, after which they harass you automated and live human to let them try again and again. During this interval it takes 30 seconds for me to see a new newly opened window of any kind. After the 3rd manual attempt with "success", my first power on gives me a message that the patch has been applied and my PC will reboot in 15 minutes with no way to login or kill it or force reboot so I hit the power button. I'm in for about 3 minutes when I see a quick item on the task bar that it's installing an "approved" update for Adobe Flash. The installer launches and it tells me I don't have rights to install...and it opens up a windows asking me if I want install it now every time I get the home page.

So I opened up a ticket with Mordoc. You guys fix it. Yeah, I know. "What did *I* do?"

When I see those Microsoft "innovation" and "productivity" TV ads I want a button on my remote that lets me give Balmer a strong electric shock.

The next generation of computers at our place will be fully locked-down, no admin rights, no software install, no config changes. We will be denied the use of backup drives - instead they will provide "server space" for us. In fact, they have said that it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to save files on your local computer (nearly all are laptops). The traveler? SOL. Might as well buy netbooks. Heck, the performance on the VPN is so bad that a *mandatory* webcase with the division president was unwatchable - 30% of the time was spent buffering dropouts.

I tried to get an aircard because I travel. Sorry, no can do, you have to be one grade level higher. "But those guys don't travel..."

Companies lose so much productivity with this kind of clamped-down IT system.

You're probably already aware of it, but IE8 has a compatibility mode that sometimes allows it to emulate IE7's bugs enough to get it to work with sites or applications that opted to optimize for IE instead of use web standards.

Now that right there is funny!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeeeesh. :frown2: Usually it's the good people that make it into the SMS/app-packaging roles... Not so there, apparently. :dunno:

If it's not done right, yeah. But if it is, it certainly helps the "Hey, I downloaded some screen savers from AppsThatWillHoseYourPC.com and YouAreStupidIfYouInstallThis.net so I can look at pictures of my cats while I'm not working. Suddenly nothing works. Your systems suck!" sorts of problems, which aren't exactly productivity boosters themselves.

The next generation of computers at our place will be fully locked-down, no admin rights, no software install, no config changes. We will be denied the use of backup drives - instead they will provide "server space" for us. In fact, they have said that it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to save files on your local computer (nearly all are laptops). The traveler? SOL. Might as well buy netbooks. Heck, the performance on the VPN is so bad that a *mandatory* webcase with the division president was unwatchable - 30% of the time was spent buffering dropouts.

I tried to get an aircard because I travel. Sorry, no can do, you have to be one grade level higher. "But those guys don't travel..."

Soon, it'll be just right.

Then, you can work just like you're on a VT-220.

This is a huge problem in IT. One, I personally, just cannot stand. People try to increase their worth by exaggerating the threat.

This is a huge problem in IT. One, I personally, just cannot stand. People try to increase their worth by exaggerating the threat.

I have to disagree, Jesse. If you saw the people that we support here, you'd know exactly what I mean too.

"I can't log in to Windows, it says I need to reset my password, and gives me a bunch of boxes to type into, what do I do?"

"You know, if I want to install custom screen savers, I should be able to. Damn IT."

"Seriously?? A document from FedEX that contains an .exe file is dangerous?"

"I'm going to try to send this ISO that is approx. 2GB to my home email. Why would you stop that?"

"This printer says has a flashing light next to the word 'Jam.' What does that mean?"

etc.

In techy companies, I agree 100%, Jesse, but in my company, we lock down, and lock down and lock down, and people still muck things up. The ONLY thing they need to do on these PCs is word processing and running special apps that I develop. And that's all we let them do.

I have to disagree, Jesse. If you saw the people that we support here, you'd know exactly what I mean too.

"I can't log in to Windows, it says I need to reset my password, and gives me a bunch of boxes to type into, what do I do?"

"You know, if I want to install custom screen savers, I should be able to. Damn IT."

"Seriously?? A document from FedEX that contains an .exe file is dangerous?"

"I'm going to try to send this ISO that is approx. 2GB to my home email. Why would you stop that?"

"This printer says has a flashing light next to the word 'Jam.' What does that mean?"

etc.

In techy companies, I agree 100%, Jesse, but in my company, we lock down, and lock down and lock down, and people still muck things up. The ONLY thing they need to do on these PCs is word processing and running special apps that I develop. And that's all we let them do.

I'm pretty much with Nick on this one. Like most things, it's a matter of balance: Lock things down not enough and you open yourself up to a host of potential issues -- from routine annoyances to true catastrophes. Lock things down too much and you kill productivity. In striking the balance that's appropriate for the given organization (and it will be different for every organization), there are almost certainly going to be individual users on the margins for whom the regime that gets implemented will be sub-optimal; and while it sucks for them -- particularly because most of the time, they're power users who know they're being handcuffed -- that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Sometimes you can accommodate them with a solid, formal exceptions process and/or segmenting non-administrative power users into their own sandbox, but those workarounds have their own attendant drawbacks and risks, not the least of which is added -- probably entirely unnecessary -- complexity.

In short, it's about picking the right direction to go and then implementing it the right way. You have to go 2-for-2 in that regard, lest you risk winding up with an organization like Mike's, in which even the right strategy winds up crippling users. Mobile users present an especially difficult challenge.

Anyway, developing, implementing, and managing those kinds of policies are some of the "harder" things to do in a large, corporate IT environment, and they should be left to best and brightest. If they're not... Just turn and run and don't look directly at the blast. The flash could be blinding.

Nick and Rev. Slappy are close to the mark on this one.

I've been lucky enough to work with IT departments that have been willing to work with me on special needs (I suspect they were too busy to do the work and let me do it since I was only going to foul my own nest if I goofed). The only thing I've been asked is to deposit a copy of the documented source code with them (I considered that a reasonable request). A good IT department will lock down as needed but give privileges as needed to support the company to those that show themselves able to handle reduced restrictions- a good IT department will realize they aren't the source of all the good ideas to improve effeciency.

Uh--I'm not sure how you guys can't be "against" me. If you're not locking down systems to the point that you're killing productivity then I have no qualms with your method of operation.

I do have a problem with those that lock down and kill productivity -- which is a very very common problem.

A good IT department will lock down as needed but give privileges as needed to support the company to those that show themselves able to handle reduced restrictions-

A good point. Only thing I'd add, though, is that it's worth bearing in mind that there can be (and almost always are) costs involved with such accommodations/exceptions -- and they tend to increase linearly with scale. But what those costs are and whether or not they're outweighed by the benefits is a case-by-case determination.

a good IT department will realize they aren't the source of all the good ideas to improve effeciency.

An excellent, excellent point.

All in all, the toolset required to craft a solution that is tailored to an organization's specific needs is both deep and broad, and comprised of mature applications/architecture that have been hardened in plenty of real-world situations. Internal IT infrastructure isn't exactly my gig anymore, but I have been involved in systems management rollouts in the past. Consequently, there's no question in my mind that capable professionals should have little trouble implmenting an effective solution that strikes the kind of balance I mentioned above.

Uh--I'm not sure how you guys can't be "against" me. If you're not locking down systems to the point that you're killing productivity then I have no qualms with your method of operation.

I do have a problem with those that lock down and kill productivity -- which is a very very common problem.

That's just it. We are commonly accused of doing just that, but its a necessity. Its either we lock them down to the point where they can't mess it up, or we give them what they claim they need and spend way too much time fixing their mistakes.

We may be overly tight, but at least we're not fixing some moron's mistakes.

That's just it. We are commonly accused of doing just that, but its a necessity. Its either we lock them down to the point where they can't mess it up, or we give them what they claim they need and spend way too much time fixing their mistakes.

We may be overly tight, but at least we're not fixing some moron's mistakes.
So productivity should suffer to make IT's job easier?

So productivity should suffer to make IT's job easier?

Its not to make our job easier, its because we simply don't have the manpower to fix the mistakes that have come in.

As enough people break the same thing, we lock it down. Our systems people are backlogged almost a month because people see "You has a Virus, clik here to fix0r," and they click on it.

If people would simply use a small amount of common sense, or even follow the policies that the management have set in place, it wouldn't be an issue.

BTW, you have no idea how many requests we get to unblock MySpace and Facebook because it hampers productivity. Give me a break.

If the right strategy is implemented the right way, it won't "kill productivity."

When rolling out security and management policy to an environment that consists of, say, tens of thousands of users, for example, one of the more problematic issues is coming across a business unit run by somebody who has had one of their resident geeks tell them, "B-b-b-b-b-but I NEED to be able to do x, y, and z! And they won't let me do that anymore!" and couch their protectionism in a "This'll kill productivity!" argument. Almost universally -- at least without exception in every instance I've seen -- it's BS.

In environments of that size, productivity (from an IT perspective) is gained through standardization. A standard exception should exist for the staff with the kind of geekier responsibilities that would require them to be subject to lighter restrictions, and all of that staff should be a part of whatever subunit has that consideration built into it so it can be appropriately managed/partitioned.

So the question becomes, it's supposedly "killing" "productivity" for whom, exactly? If it's somebody whose responsibilities require rights beyond what the locked-down schema grants them, they should (best case) be in a part of the organization in which systems management is handled more actively... Rolling them into a centrally managed technology group virtually always makes the most sense (e.g. those groups are hardly ever responsible for those lovely "Hey, uh, we've got this 3GB MS Access file that doesn't work and the developer died. Can you help?" issues), despite the fact that they may feel see their role as less "productive" individually. But if it's some geek who simply doesn't like being handcuffed? Tango Sierra. Go work somewhere else.

Anyway, that's an overly-complicated way of explaining the simple reality that some so-called "productivity" loss is perfectly acceptable -- even desirable in some cases. It all depends.

Keep in mind..I work in IT. I'm not against IT. I'm against those that hamper productivity costing the company *A LOT* of money to try and save themselves some work (often way less expensive).

Back