International Vintage Sailplane Meet

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I'm going to be on historic Harris Hill in Elmira, NY at the end of the month for the International Vintage Sailplane Meet from Saturday June 27 to Monday June 29. This event occurs every 4-5 years and is truly amazing. Here are some pictures from the 2005 meet:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/ivsm_2005.htm

Pete will be there with his Ka6 and Burt will be there with his ASK-13. Unfortunately I won't have my Cherokee II there. Interestingly enough, my Cherokee used did fly from Harris Hill back in the 70's.

Harris Hill is where the Schweizer Bros did their first flying and was one of the pioneering soaring sites in the US. The National Soaring Museum is located there: http://www.soaringmuseum.org/

Oughtta be a good time!

Looks neat Tony. Sounds like a good time. Can't wait to see your pics.........ya know if there are no pics......then it didn't happen.:D

Wow, that looks like fun! Will you get to fly while there?

It would be really neat to "bring her home" (your Cherokee, to the Hill) some time.

I wish I could go, and talked with Pete about going with him - But I'm going to be at a wedding on the 27th. :(

Next glider gathering, I'm there... (That's what I said last time, when y'all went to Marfa around new year's...)

Awesome Bill! I did learn this week that there will be a Cherokee II there. Dean Gradwell has finished restoration on his. I can't wait to see it.

There's a Cherokee at our airport whose owner died. It has sat in a trailer for years and needs a complete restoration but it could be had for practically nothing. My brother-in-law used to own it.

how much is "practically nothing"? PM if necessary.

See Tony, if you got the one from Lawrenceville that would be 3 Cherokees. I think a one class Cherokee II Grand Prix event would be awesome! :D

There's a Cherokee at our airport whose owner died. It has sat in a trailer for years and needs a complete restoration but it could be had for practically nothing. My brother-in-law used to own it.

hey Bill. I'm all over that too. Tony's bird was languishing for almost 20 years in a trailer in VA when I rescued it. Keep us informed. We are insane about Cherokee sailplanes.

If someone Tows it to IVSM I'll tow it home and hand it off to Tony

I will be there and can't wait to see all of you guys! I am too fat for a cherokee or I would be all in for a restoration!

I've been thinking about going, but not too sure yet. If I do make it up there, it will only be for one or two days. What's the lodgings situation like at this point? Is camping allowed there?

I've been thinking about going, but not too sure yet. If I do make it up there, it will only be for one or two days. What's the lodgings situation like at this point? Is camping allowed there?

i don't know...

try an email to nsm@soaringmuseum.org to see about camping. let us know if you need a hotel room, we may be able to find someone with some free rooms.

I'm still unsure what my schedule is going to be, but if I'm around you better believe I'll be coming up for some of it! :)

i don't know...

try an email to nsm@soaringmuseum.org to see about camping. let us know if you need a hotel room, we may be able to find someone with some free rooms.
Cool; thanks. I'm taking work on a piecemeal basis now (and not turning down anything!), so I won't know 'til the last minute if or when I'm going, or for how long.

If all else fails I have a room at Harris Hill, and there is bound to be at least some floor space, if not a couch available.

Half way there, I am in Chicago for the night and flying out to Elmira tomorrow morning! I can't wait to see everyone and sounds like I should get to meet a couple new (to me) PoAers!

If all else fails I have a room at Harris Hill, and there is bound to be at least some floor space, if not a couch available.
All I need is a place on the floor where nobody will step on me on their way to the head during the night. :D

I'm thinking that I may come up and join y'all. I have to see how I'm going to work it exactly, as this is looking like a good motorcycle weekend and I also need to make a run into NYC, and pick up a friend from PHL on Friday night.

In looking at the National Soaring Museum website, it looks like that's the primary location. Is that what I should plug into the GPS (assuming I ride up, which seems more likely), or will that leave me looking around wondering where all my friends are? :)

Ted -

The National Soaring Museum is located on Harris Hill, which is the location for the meet. See you there!

My trailer is packed, bearings greased, and new tires are installed. Now I just have to get through the rest of the work week...

Sounds good, I'll plan on being there! Would it be better to aim for Saturday or Sunday?

Sounds good, I'll plan on being there! Would it be better to aim for Saturday or Sunday?

I don't have a good answer for that. I think there will be enough activity both days. Whatever works best for you i suppose.

So, the meet looks like it's taking place until July 4th. Anyone planing on staying until then? I'm going to a fabric covering class in Fredrick this weekend. :frown3: to not come see sailplanes but :) about learning more about building airplanes.

Last edited:
pete and adam and burt will be there all week. plus bill I think (flybill here). and most of the other people. Matt M and Chris Uhl and I are only there for the weekend.

Camping is allowed. They charge $10/day. I'll be camping Friday and Saturday then move to the Econolodge when the family shows up.

Well, I made it here yesterday and got my Harris Hill check out done in one of their 2-33s and today Bury and I put 1.2 hours on the ASK-13. I am really enjoying this place so far, the youth involvment here is fantastic. I wish I could have so many youngsters interested in soaring at our field. Anyway, good times, and I can't wait for the rest of the Bucket Hat Mafia to get here.

Isn't that "bucket hat MARFIA"?

Cool We could set up a Schleicher "compound" with your 8, Burt's 13, and my 6 :D

I think that Dave Schuur will have his -7 there. I have no doubt the krautgliders will be well represented. a real bummer that Neal couldn't get his Ka2 finished. But his very nice Ka6, with a fresh paint job, will be there.

Would you guys hurry up and get here! I had to fly again today without you :nonod: We had some weather blow through with and impressive gust front but we made it down and got some shelter in time. MM the Pratt-Reed arrived and we got it put in the hanger! I spent a few hours in the museum this morning and it is great, I will be in there many more times I suspect.

Well I ought to be hitched up tomorrow around 5:30, and arrive early afternoon on Saturday, hopefully.

I'm sorry to report that my plans have been delayed and possibly thwarted entirely.

House AC unit failed overnight. Car front end rebuild went 6 hours overtime. Money ran out solving those problems, not to mention time. It was a bad day. No way I can make my early Fri departure. It would be irresponsible to leave the scene at this time.

It's not out of the question that I might make it later in the week but this weekend is out.

Sorry to you guys who I harassed into attending IVSM. Pretty lame that I wont be there with you after all that, but I'm confident you will have an amazing time.

Back